Wiki Posts
Search

Giant sticker on suitcase -- good idea?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Giant sticker on suitcase -- good idea?

I got two very large hopefully waterproof stickers which has my name, address, phone and email on it with about 1-1 1/2" high letters and plan to it on the two sides of my Samsonite hardshell. It's like an easy-to-read luggage tag. Any reason you could think of to not do this ?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I had a large sticker made for a hardshell suitcase a few years ago. The sticker was made for the side of a semi-truck. Industrial strength, water proof, etc. It cost $75 and was about 8" tall and 20" long.

It was torn and pulled off after the 2nd flight. TSA, baggage handlers, and conveyors are hard on luggage and even harder on decals.

Outside of privacy concerns, I wouldn't waste my time and money doing it again.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
On even my current luggage tags, I only put limited personal information for privacy concerns.

I usually just put my name (e.g., "P. Smith" instead of "Peter James Smith III"), email, phone number, and city of residence.

I would actually put my entire address on the inside of the luggage - perhaps sewn to the compression straps so it is the first thing one sees in case the luggage needs to be opened for inspection in case of loss.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:17 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Agree, full name and address details only on the inside of the bag and the side pockets of the bag, I just put a sheet of paper with my info printed on it. Any legitimate person will find that and use it.

Also anything on the outside (as mentioned) can easily be ripped off, and this includes also hanging info tags.

To make the bag identifiable (easy to see on the belt, discourage others taking it on purpose or by accident) I put colorful (last time I used yellow) strips of duct tape on the bag (both ends so visible from all angles). The duct tape looks pretty nice but also seems like some repair was made to the bag, making it less interesting for thieves.

A big roll of color duct tape costs only a few dollars/euros and you can use it for many other uses as well.

Some people use "travel stickers" on their bags for identification, but I think that indicates you thought about it or have traveled a lot, so the bag might feel more "valuable" to a thief. Something that looks a little like repair is probably less inviting.

One time my checked-in bag was delayed and they were able to input into their systems "black bag with yellow details". Don't know if that helped find it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I would suggest one of these will allow your bag to be easily identifiable.

Globalist
Attached Images  
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:53 pm

How about these:

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.1194...,ffffff.u2.jpg
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:55 pm

or
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by chx1975
I got two very large hopefully waterproof stickers which has my name, address, phone and email on it with about 1-1 1/2" high letters and plan to it on the two sides of my Samsonite hardshell. It's like an easy-to-read luggage tag. Any reason you could think of to not do this ?
Basically you're advertising to every single person that sees you and your bag (from cab drivers, street cleaners, door men, luggage loaders at the airport etc etc etc) en route to the airport that you're going away. Then you're giving them the address to your nice empty house. What could possibly go wrong....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.