Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Question

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Luggage Question

Hello all,
First time poster, first time on this site. Wow, so much information, am definitely going to bookmark it.
Need a little advice about a bag situation. Please note that I leave in 3 weeks, so shipping it is not an option right now.
I have a Travelpro Integrity Lite Spinner bag, bought it a year ago and it has been on 2 trips so far (Berlin and Atlanta). After my last trip, I noticed that the inside lining is ripping at the seam (where it connects to the rest of the bag).
So I attempt to reach out to Travelpro, since it should still be under warranty. I feel I am getting the run around from them. The closest repair center is over 40 miles away and includes a bridge toll. The only thing I wanted to know if this sort of damage was covered under the warranty.......before I spent my Sat driving to the repair center, only to have it not covered.
All Travelpro can say is to take it in, I have explained to them how far away it is and the toll, but they claim (even after I sent pictures) that they cannot tell me if it is covered or not.
How can you help?
What would you do in this situation? Would you drive to the repair center and wait to find out if it is covered? Buy a new bag and say toodles to Travelpro, because if I have to buy a new bag, then I will never buy another Travelpro again.
I feel that if you have a warranty, you should know exactly what it covers, right?
Thanks a bunch!!!
Old May 3, 2016, 1:58 pm

I would always have a backup plan. TravelPro is normally fine for an inexpensive bag and if your travel is not heavy then it works great. My parents have one as do I. Mine is starting to show a lot of wear and issues but I have many other bags as well that I have ... accummulated... over the years and depending on the type and duration of trip will choose accordingly.

At the point of a multi-hour trip with tolls and if you don't travel that often you might be better off going to TJMaxx or similar (Ross, Marshalls, etc.) and getting an inexpensive bag to use in its place, then sending this one back via post and letting them fix it.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. But I do not want to spend the $$ to ship it to them, if it is not covered under their warranty. I doubt, with the reception I have received from them, they would ship it back to me for free.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Depending on what & who you are ordering a replacement bag from - 3 weeks is plenty of time. Given Travelpro's reputation & track records here on FT, I wouldn't count on an in-warranty repair as they might just write it up as normal wear & tear and not covered. It will probably cost you more to ship it back to their service center than to do a weekend drive, with the bridge toll.

If the rip is inside lining, the bag is still usable & serviceable, correct - it looks fine to others, you as the owner know about the "defect". I say continue to use it as another option, don't throw it away just yet. I have a 15+ years old Travelpro 22" rollers, still works & the flap's linings is ripped from overstuffing it, LOL - but I still use it on car trips & the wheels haven't fallen off, yet. Of course, I've since purchased other bags & switched to other lines, with better lifetime, no-matter-what warranty, i.e. eBags Mother Lode, both softside convertible backpack/carry-on and 21.5" expandable roller - cost is comparable to what you likely spend for the TP unless you got a steal on the price. Of course, there are other brands like B&R and Tom Binh, etc.

If you order something, anything from eBags & it's in stock, odds are excellent that they will FedEx ground ship & deliver to you by middle of next week, if not sooner and it's free (all orders at $50 or higher - no sales tax for most states).
Old May 3, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply
They got back to me and I have to ship it to them, cost $40 to $70. And there is NO guarantee that it will be fixed without shelling out a lot more money. I only paid about $70 for it (great deal). I do know that I will never buy another one, ever. And will tell everyone I know, including strangers who are looking at bags, how bad they suck.
You win some, you lose some. Such a shame too, love the color and size.
Your loss Travelpro.
Looks like I am shopping for a new bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.