Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Do I really need a "international" Size Carry ON??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

I am starting to travel more Internationally into Europe. I would like to ask some of the more seasoned EUropean travelers what you all think?

Do i really need a International SizE Carry on or could i get away with a Continental size?

ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:25 pm

No problem----if you don't mind being forced to gate check your bag from time to time, that is.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:37 pm

Yes. American domestic sizes are far bigger than the rest of the world.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nmh1204
Yes. American domestic sizes are far bigger than the rest of the world.
I understand. I guess what I am asking is. How much do the international airlines enforce this and further will my carry on not fit above?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by feysul
I understand. I guess what I am asking is. How much do the international airlines enforce this and further will my carry on not fit above?
Lufthansa, Aer Lingus and EasyJet do, and they often make you put it in the sizers
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:46 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
You may also find that some European airlines will actually weigh your carry-on. So you should be concerned about weight limits too.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmh1204
Lufthansa, Aer Lingus and EasyJet do, and they often make you put it in the sizers
Thank you. Thats what i was looking for. sorry if i wasn't that clear.

so what you are saying is that i should buy the International Carry ON and that the European carriers enforce the size.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by feysul
Thank you. Thats what i was looking for. sorry if i wasn't that clear.

so what you are saying is that i should buy the International Carry ON and that the European carriers enforce the size.
Size and weight. It is often about 8kg to 10kg. So look for a lightweight carry on. There are lots of carry-ons around which weight already 4kg which puts you out if the weight limit sooner than you might want.

Stick to the Lufthansa sizing (55 x 40 x 23 cm) and stay under 10kg and you will be fine.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Size and weight. It is often about 8kg to 10kg. So look for a lightweight carry on. There are lots of carry-ons around which weight already 4kg which puts you out if the weight limit sooner than you might want.

Stick to the Lufthansa sizing (55 x 40 x 23 cm) and stay under 10kg and you will be fine.
Translate to inches 21 x 15 x 9, 22 pounds. If you pack only clothes in a bag that size, it is possible to make 22 pounds. Put the books, the 311 bag, the electronics and other heavier stuff in your backpack or personal item bag because smaller bags are unlikely to be weighed. Wear the boots and the coat.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It depends on the airline. Some of them are quite strict on the limits. My roller is a Briggs and Riley Commuter U119X. It is slightly smaller and therefore usually doesn't draw a second look. What I give up in packing space I gain in certainty.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:06 am

Low service carriers like Lufthansa or Swiss will check your baggage size at the gate EXTREMELY strict - be over a single centimeter or half a kg, and you're forced to gate-check it (against an extremely hefty fee)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
In my experience, it's generally intra-Europe travel where they are most strict. Also, they have tended to be more lenient if you are in a premium cabin. These days, I use an international size Victorinox, but I have brought on my US domestic carry-on when traveling LH and LX business class, both inter- and intra-continental.

Of course, those experiences may have been outliers and you are always safer with a smaller carryon when traveling to/from/within Europe.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: *G
How often do you find yourself traveling into Europe?

Ive been doing EU flying at gold level for 3 years, primarily with the LH group (occasionally BA/AF/KLM/others) and i can count the times ive been subjected to or seen the weight/sizing with 1 hand.

Often its an eyeball test at check-in. If you dont have an overstuffed 22", then they wont be ask for it to be weighted.

ONE time I got stopped at the entrance to security at VIE. Which should be carrier-agnostic. The agent was (of course) dressed in OS and I was flying LX. Had to check-in my bag. But that's been my home airport and that occured only once.

Never been checked at the gate.

Just my experience. Do the math and see if it makes sense for you - to stave off the rare possibility of being denied carrying-on, or to benefit from additional storage volumes for all your other trips?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by deniah
How often do you find yourself traveling into Europe?

Ive been doing EU flying at gold level for 3 years, primarily with the LH group (occasionally BA/AF/KLM/others) and i can count the times ive been subjected to or seen the weight/sizing with 1 hand.

Often its an eyeball test at check-in. If you dont have an overstuffed 22", then they wont be ask for it to be weighted.

Never been checked at the gate.

Just my experience. Do the math and see if it makes sense for you - to stave off the rare possibility of being denied carrying-on, or to benefit from additional storage volumes for all your other trips?
For your information, times have changed FAST in Europe: This summer, LX had introduced (more than before, when they only run them Ex-GVA) Europe-wide handbaggage-only fares, with LH and OS following them on 1st October. Consequences are now super-strict checks on luggage.

Oversized will definitely be "catched", and they're also checking for luggage weight, and are very strict about it. If you're at 9kg, you can remove a few things and carry those, but if you're at 12kg or similar, it might become hard to get out..
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:48 am

No.

Most of the time, I find that it's the weight that gets you not the size. Unless I'm doing a 2 or 3 day trip I just bring my 24 inch and check the darn thing. (wring from the US) Either for business or pleasure, it doesn't really make sense for me to travel for 2 days in Europe or Asia anyway. I'll pull various meetings together and make it at least a week. At that point, you need a checked bag.

On top of that it take a while to get through immigration anyway. By the time you are done, your checked bag should be out there waiting for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.