Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Companion bag (personal item) for Patagonia MLC 45 (or similar)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Hi all - I've been a long time reader of the forums and finally taking the plunge and posting. I have a pretty specific request for recommendations. I'm heading to Europe for a few weeks with only a Patagonia MLC 45. I am planning to bring a "personal item" bag that would be a good companion to the MLC 45. Ideally, the bag would fit the following criteria:

1. Be small but big enough to fit my Macbook Air 11" - I'm likely not taking it this trip, but I figured I may on future trips. This trip I'll likely only bring my iPad mini.
2. Have a shoulder strap and grab handle. Would love if it could also convert into a backpack to be used as a day bag.
3. Cheap - not looking to break the bank on this bag, around $100 would be good.

The goal is this: use the bag to carry iPad/Macbook Air plus cables, chargers, converters, maybe some toiletries, and other odds and ends. I would love for it to be able to be stuffed into the MLC once I arrive in Italy, but would be just as happy if I could attach it to the MLC (let's say with a carabiner or something) while travelling from place to place.

I would love to hear some suggestions on what you all use as a companion to your MLC 45 (Aeronaut 45, etc.)

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Take a look a the the ArcTeryx Cierzo 18. $59. I use one with my Osprey Farpoint 40. No padded sleeve for electronics (I use one from Waterfield bags) but it folds flat, and has just enough capacity for what you want. It's light enough to be used for a day side trip - no serious padding on the straps - but I've used it for biking and for 12-hour round trips to 14ers in Colorado and it worked fine. ArcT Cierzo-18
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold
The Tom Bihn Everyday Brief case might fit the bill for you:
http://www.tombihn.com/briefcases/da...briefcase.html

I don't have one but I'm thinking of getting one. I don't really need it but....I kind of want one.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ck777
The Tom Bihn Everyday Brief case might fit the bill for you:
http://www.tombihn.com/briefcases/da...briefcase.html

I don't have one but I'm thinking of getting one. I don't really need it but....I kind of want one.
How did I not come across the daylight briefcase sooner? I had been toying with the idea of getting the co-pilot for a while but then realized it did not fit the macbook air and thought it wasnt worth spending $130 on something that I'll never be able to use to travel with my MBA (all depends where I'm going, but would be nice if the bag could fit it). The Pilot was an option but I thought it was a bit bigger than I wanted. The Daylight Briefcase seems to fit squarely between these two.

Going to seriously consider this, thanks!

Any other thoughts?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:47 pm

Muji

Muji is great for their no-nonense approach that delivers a high cost/quality ratio. Doing this for 20-30 bucks and giving up nothing in build and durability.

I have their "water repellent. business bag" and like it. For the specs in thread that model fulfills only 2 of 3 criteria. However their "cross body backpack" would do the job on all three criteria.

http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=5&Sub=21

Last edited by osamede; Jul 25, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC
How did I not come across the daylight briefcase sooner? I had been toying with the idea of getting the co-pilot for a while but then realized it did not fit the macbook air and thought it wasnt worth spending $130 on something that I'll never be able to use to travel with my MBA (all depends where I'm going, but would be nice if the bag could fit it). The Pilot was an option but I thought it was a bit bigger than I wanted. The Daylight Briefcase seems to fit squarely between these two.

Going to seriously consider this, thanks!

Any other thoughts?
I second the daylight from tom bihn. I ordered one with the Cache for inside, but mostly use it without.

I like to use my Patagonia MLC 45 as a one bag, with the Daylight collapsed inside. When at my destination, I take the shoulder strap off the MLC (which stays at hotel) and put it on the daylight. I then take my laptop, cables and other misc stuff with me in the daylight.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, UA
Eagle Creek Catch-All

Based on the criteria you described, this seems to be an option for you. It is my travel "day bag" for camera, ipad, phone, rainjacket,water bottle,etc. Just checked and my Macbook Pro 13" fits in the computer sleeve! It even has hidden backpack straps.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/catchall-...ck-rfid/d/1312

On sale here for $54....

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eag...colorFamily=02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.