Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Please recommend a Carry On Luggage? (Female)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please recommend a Carry On Luggage? (Female)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc
IATA size for international carriers:

55cm by 40cm by 20cm roughly translated to
21.7 inch by 15.5 inch by 8.5 inch

Lufthansa is 55 by 40 by 23 which is actually a little more generous.
other I've seen and flown are about the IATA size including the really bad Ryan Air.

The Briggs Intl CXW is:

US 21 in. 15 in. 9 in. or

EU 53.5 cm 38 cm 23 cm

It fits.
Buying a new cabin suitcase is a big deal these days (at least from my perspective). I am in the similar predicament as OP, but in doubt that suggestions discussed in here are entirely economical. Whilst there is not much wrong with quality and convenience recommended bags shall deliver, there could be big trouble at the gate when boarding LH (an airline on the list).

Lufthansa is clamping down on sizes and weight of what one can take on board, which, sadly, includes a size of a personal item (briefcase - 30x40x10). Moreover, I do expect another changes, now in pipes, to come into effect soon.

IATA is recommending, and LH endorsed, new size for boarding cases 55x35x20 (now 55x40x20, 8 kg). Manufacturers of luggages aren't even shipping yet items in that size. For those of us who cannot avoid LH, this is little bit of a challenge to travel without penalties. Funny thing is, even kiddie Topas is theoretically oversize (thickness is 20.5 cm). I have to travel on business later this year to Jp, and I have no idea what gear to take, despite having a closet full of (nonconforming) bags.

I might end up with a small briefcase in hand for boarding and risk it with kiddie Topas. I have (Vict.) Tourbach 24" upright as checked item (23 kg), and since trip will last 3 months, I might choose to ship a few things in a cargo box. It's not something I look forward to, but I have no better solution in hand yet.

Last edited by Sakae; Aug 1, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:07 am

IATA retracted that recommendation due to complaints from various sources. There is a discussion topic on this from another thread.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Mellonc
IATA retracted that recommendation due to complaints from various sources. There is a discussion topic on this from another thread.
Thank you for your input. I did actually search for this topic, but obviously not very skillfully, because I did not find it. Regarding regulatory changes, I am surprised to hear about retraction, because as late as yesterday I read an IATA article about it, and can't remember them mentioning anything about this initiative is DOA. I have to check the source again, but I am glad to hear that nonetheless. (It seems the initiative is "paused", not really dead).

Miami, June 9, 2015
http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-06-09-02.aspx

Last edited by Sakae; Aug 3, 2015 at 12:39 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Sakae
Thank you for your input. I did actually search for this topic, but obviously not very skillfully, because I did not find it. Regarding regulatory changes, I am surprised to hear about retraction, because as late as yesterday I read an IATA article about it, and can't remember them mentioning anything about this initiative is DOA. I have to check the source again, but I am glad to hear that nonetheless. (It seems the initiative is "paused", not really dead).

Miami, June 9, 2015
http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-06-09-02.aspx
I replied to your comment on the other thread regarding the IATA's new scheme....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...imensions.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.