Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi Carry-On - Which one?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Tumi Carry-On - Which one?

Hi all,

Looking at a Tumi 2 wheel carry-on. I'm having trouble discerning which I want out of the 3 models

- Alpha 2 Frequent Traveler
- Alpha 2 International
- Alpha 2 Continental

I fly just about every week. Mostly domestic or long haul international. Often on regional jets.

I care mostly about the bag not tipping over, being strong, easy to wheel, good handle.

Appreciate any insights into the differences here and recommendations.

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by freshmanjs
Hi all,

Looking at a Tumi 2 wheel carry-on. I'm having trouble discerning which I want out of the 3 models

- Alpha 2 Frequent Traveler
- Alpha 2 International
- Alpha 2 Continental

I fly just about every week. Mostly domestic or long haul international. Often on regional jets.

I care mostly about the bag not tipping over, being strong, easy to wheel, good handle.

Appreciate any insights into the differences here and recommendations.

Thanks!
I'm assuming you already know the size difference. The frequent Traveller model is long enough to touch the top and bottom of the sizer when you put it in there. Unless you put it in perfect it will get stuck. Also the depth can be an issue as it is already pushing close to 10 inches without stuff in there. The other two fits the sizers with room to spare.

Last edited by Mellonc; May 25, 2015 at 10:25 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve
I just bought the frequent traveler since its on sale.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Not a fan of the Frequent Traveler. Note the "Continental" is wider than the "International". This could make a difference if you are on smaller planes and ever need to put your bag sideways.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

i've heard that some of the tumi bags have front legs that are not attached to the frame such that the bag collapses a bit and tips over when something is on top of it. trying to figure out which have that problem vs not. thanks for any help.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:35 pm

Alpha 1 did that. Not the Alpha 2, which, however, are much lighter. So, instead of tipping over, it sometimes "squats" or "bows" on the bottom. Not sure that is a good thing or bad thing.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:38 pm

I ended up with the Tumi Vapor as part of the 1MM program gift from Delta. is the quasi hard sided bag and I did not think I would like it but turns out to fit my travel week's worth of clothes and accessories and fits into the CRJ700/900 overhead. it gets a little scratched up going in and out and a soft sided would fair better but I like it.

That said, Tumi is having a sale on their site right now so it might be a good opportunity for the Alpha series.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.