Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Shortest USB charging cable you can get away with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortest USB charging cable you can get away with?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by exoticfusion
You may be interested in the Zolt charger. I pre-ordered it and can't wait to use it. No more brick power sources.
And, if you're lucky, maybe they'll even deliver close to the scheduled date, unlike 2014's "world's smallest laptop charger" and CES darling: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...sale-dart.html.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by exoticfusion
You may be interested in the Zolt charger. I pre-ordered it and can't wait to use it. No more brick power sources.
Originally Posted by aktchi
Thanks. I am on the road now. Looked at the zolt link. Cute design but I can't figure what it can do that my Anker which costs ⅓ cannot? AFAIK the Anker would also charge 3 devices at the full current they require.
The Anker outputs are all usb 5V

The Zolt can charge a notebook computer and 2 usb devices on the three ports. The saving is the space and weight of the power brick.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tentseller
The Anker outputs are all usb 5V

The Zolt can charge a notebook computer and 2 usb devices on the three ports. The saving is the space and weight of the power brick.
If you're using one of the newer hybrid laptops, the Anker will deliver enough power for recharge as it does for my Asus T100TAM. Yes, the Zolt is (will be, may be?) useful if you have an older laptop that currently requires a power brick, but my conversion to my current device has allowed me to travel with one bag, including electronics, for the first time.

Although there is no doubting the usefulness of the Zolt and the Dart if you're currently using a larger laptop, they are designed to serve a shrinking market. And while many waited for the Dart, I used currently available technology,
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-notebook-adapter-charger-Universal/dp/B00GSIKMA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395336828&sr=8-1&keywords=twinkle+65 http://www.amazon.com/FSP-notebook-adapter-charger-Universal/dp/B00GSIKMA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395336828&sr=8-1&keywords=twinkle+65
, at half the price of the Zolt for nearly a year before switching over to my current setup which doesn't require anything more than the Anker. And charging my laptop, work and personal cell phones, and a set of Bose earphones, I occasionally find a need for more than three ports--so the Anker's likely coming with me anyway.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I travel with a few of these retractable cables, plus a few of these 1.5 foot Monster cables.

The retractable cables are good not just because they are small-ish, but because there's no need to worry about them getting tangled, and no need to try and roll them up nicely before throwing them in your bag.

Monster also have a 6" version that I own a few of, but I find them too short when travelling and plugged into a charger, although they do work well when plugged into a computer, or into a charger that is on a cable like the Anker 5-port charger I use at home. The 18" version however it a great size in most cases.

And yes, I know some people have a dislike for Monster products (me included!), but their products generally are good quality, and Frys frequently has these cables on special for $3 each, so at that price I don't feel bad buying them...
Old May 26, 2015, 2:50 am

What I have historically found with the retractible USB cables is that
- they are thin, dont last long and tear after a while
- they dont seem to charge all that fast

My wife picked up somewhere a nifty USB charging cable that is sort of swiss army/russian doll style in that has multiple plugs that fit into each other, so that at the base there is a USB mini, then you swivel that and inside is a USB micro, then swivel that and at the far tip is an apple charger tip.

The cable itself is robust and not flimsy at all

This thing comes in two cable lengths: one about 6 inches long, the other, more like a foot or so.

The plus here is you can carry a single cable to use for multiple types of devices. The limitation is obviously you can only use one tip at a time.

I dont know what the branding is, but recommend looking for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.