Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone tried Plugfones?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Anyone tried Plugfones?

I was reading a thread on another non-travel site about earphones, and someone mentioned Plugfones, which I hadn't heard of. It looks like people in loud work environments wear them and listen to music instead of wearing plain earplugs for hearing protection.

It seems like a good solution for air travel if you want to listen to music and block noise, and it costs a lot less than the Bose in-ear pair I'm considering. I don't have any trouble with discomfort from earplugs. Anyone tried these?

http://www.plugfones.com/shop/

Edited to say I realize this isn't apples to apples with a Bose or other noise-canceling product. Just wondered if it could achieve some of the same goals.

Last edited by ridealong; Apr 20, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
There are plenty of in-ear phones that cost substantially less than Bose. I've got a $25 pair of Sennheiser with silicone tips, a $30 pair w/ volume control that got lost, and my current LG Bluetooth headphones. There are even these for $6: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJ...ywords=earbuds

I'm guessing these are just the $6 version with neon colored tips for compliance - helps to make sure the guy across the plant/tarmac is wearing hearing protection like they are supposed to be. I'm thinking many shop workers will get these to get around prohibitions on headphones since they look just like normal disposable earplugs. I'm surprised any shops or jobsites would allow these. With normal earplugs you can still hear alarms and someone yelling that the building is on fire. Back that up with Metallica and you probably won't hear a thing.

ETA: Amazon reviews mixed and confirm my suspicion that people are using these to get around "no headphone" rules at work. http://www.amazon.com/Plugfones-Yell...DateDescending

Last edited by tev9999; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Sure, I saw those reviews too... and I definitely don't support violating work rules. That is just stupid.

My thought was that if I could reduce the overall noise by 25 decibels and listen to my own entertainment at the same time, it might be useful for an occasional leisure traveler. I may try a pair out.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

I didn't order these because I thought they seemed cheap. So I decided to get a pair of Shure se215. My next flight isn't for a while, but I'm really happy with the Shure so far; the noise isolation is excellent, and I don't have to charge any batteries because there's no noise canceling. Thanks, everyone!
Old May 15, 2015, 11:00 am

I went the same route for mine. I have a pair of the Bose on ear but for keeping the bag lite I went with the Ety's. My ear is a little odd, and I have never found any comfortable buds (and I have tried them all, if anyone wants to see an earbud museum next time you are in Vegas, let me know).

I did the custom fit buds for the Ety's. The audiologist makes a mold of your ear canal and sends it off for manufacturing. The set I got back was odd looking (compared to the olives or flange, or even the ball type earbud) but talk about fitting me perfectly and being comfortable for long periods.... it also has great noise isolation as there is no gaps around the fit of the earbuds.

Yes, a little pricey (the headphones themselves are $100 and the custom buds are another $100 by the time you are done).

EDIT: this might be a good thread to hijack and see if anyone has looked into these... http://www.decibullz.com/shop/decibu...-shipping-now/

I'd be willing to add another to the museum for $60 but if someone has any experience, let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.