Wiki Posts
Search

Spinner luggage with wheels that last

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP

I've had horrible service and luck with Samsonite spinner carry on luggage.

Has anyone found any carry on spinner luggage that have high quality wheels/bearings that last more than a year of frequent travel?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Briggs & Riley. Travel weekly and bought this about 2 years ago. And it has a Lifetime warranty.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Thanks. Looking at Briggs v Tumi alpha 2 series. Any folks have strong feelings?

Style, quality of wheels and warranty most important
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Samsonite has many lines of various quality. I have their high end pieces from name department store and luggage specialty stores. For carry-on only trip where formal business wear is required I am still using their high end rolling suit carrier that is frequently gate checked. Their Oyster - F'lite - S'cure hardshell is a good substitute for Rimowa IMHO. Rolling around a Rimowa where I travel frequently will label me in a negative way.

My other luggage are B&R. In the opinion of my off-spring who are more style conscious; they think my B&R pieces in the flaming red(more burgundy but very easy to spot in a sea of black) is not something they would be caught dead carrying.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:58 pm

B&R or Travelpro Platinum
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:02 am

Tumi? Overrated, Overpriced... after 5 yrs don't even bother calling Tumi
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I love my Rimowa suitcase wheels. They all roll very well.

Now they do get banged up bad, but once you get over that, it's a great choice.

For bags with busted wheels, the service center only takes like 2 minutes to replace all four wheels.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by inthemix
Thanks. Looking at Briggs v Tumi alpha 2 series. Any folks have strong feelings?

Style, quality of wheels and warranty most important
I would avoid the Torq from B&R. What does warranty mean when you have to pay to ship it in, because no local shops can fix your broken wheel.

I have 3 co-workers that have the Torq, none of them are using them anymore.

Lock issues for 2 of them (with the zipper), zipper issues for 2 of them, and the black corner pieces the wheels are mounted to have come out for two of them, (one of them twice). All of them have had to pay to have their bag shipped to repair facilities as no local shops can fix them.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Had an Alpha 2 4 wheeler and it seemed durable enough. The older alpha's had smaller wheels that didn't seem as good.

I haven't had any Alpha series things break down on me but their Tegra lite hardside luggage was a disaster for me. I had two where the handle broke and wouldn't retract, both during trips and one right as I boarded a plane... Tumi was good about replacing with new but same issue on 2 different pieces of the same model concerns me.

I've since switched over to Rimowa Topas and it's been pretty sturdy so far (knock on wood).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I love the "double" wheels on my eBags spinner. Holding up strong so far.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I haven't had trouble with my eagle creek the wheels are hard plastic not gel or soft plastic so they are really loud when rolling in uneven surfaces but never get stuck on anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.