Search

Bad/unnecessary travel gear?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Anyone tried The Reposer yet?

http://www.thereposer.com/
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My dad bought me a retractable HDMI cable for Christmas because he knew I liked the retractable micro-usb cables... the thing is about 30% bigger than a Hockey Puck and take sup WAY more space than a nice thin 6ft or even 10-ft cable like the Monoprice Redmere cables. I'll probably end up using it at home in a pinch for some reason, but not really great for travel other than not having to manually roll it up.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:52 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by drewcwsj
Anyone tried The Reposer yet?

http://www.thereposer.com/
I just watched the video. I've never seen one, wouldn't want to carry over an extra pound of weight, and think it would be a hassle to put it away each time a seatmate wanted by to use the toilet. Intriguing, though!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Any document / passport / etc. holder you're supposed to wear on a lanyard around your neck so you look like a seven-year-old on a field trip to the zoo is stupid and unnecessary.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
@bearx220 see my reply http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24379792-post21.html earlier to that.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I just watched the video. I've never seen one, wouldn't want to carry over an extra pound of weight, and think it would be a hassle to put it away each time a seatmate wanted by to use the toilet. Intriguing, though!
I know this thread is for useless products but this Reposer thing looks interesting. I actually used a briefcase on my lap as an armrest before and felt quite comfortable with both my arms on top of it.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
My first reaction to the Reposer: is this FAA compliant? Is this FAA compliant enough that the FA won't freak out over it? I see the website says it's FAA compliant but there's no certificate you can show.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by chx1975
My first reaction to the Reposer: is this FAA compliant? Is this FAA compliant enough that the FA won't freak out over it? I see the website says it's FAA compliant but there's no certificate you can show.
Just a guess here, but it's probably ok since it's not permanently or semi-permanently attached to anything. Otherwise, we'd have to equip ourselves with all sorts of FAA-compliant things... shoes, pants, shirt, bags, canes, Bose headsets, 4-in blades, water bottles, and burritos.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:42 am

Thumbs up reposer

Originally Posted by Mellonc
I know this thread is for useless products but this Reposer thing looks interesting. I actually used a briefcase on my lap as an armrest before and felt quite comfortable with both my arms on top of it.
the Reposer does the same thing as your briefcase but there's no weight on your lap, it all goes to the side armrests
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:46 am

Thumbs up reposer FAA/TSA compliant

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Just a guess here, but it's probably ok since it's not permanently or semi-permanently attached to anything. Otherwise, we'd have to equip ourselves with all sorts of FAA-compliant things... shoes, pants, shirt, bags, canes, Bose headsets, 4-in blades, water bottles, and burritos.
Mine has gone through a security scanner at least 30 times. Took it out once just to show it to the TSA agent because I curious what he'd say. He checked it out and said no problem and called his supervisor over to see it and she also said it is perfectly fine, she actually ^said it was very interesting.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Packing cubes. I use large zip lock bags. Cheaper. I can roll the clothes I want to roll, fold the ones I want to fold and I can find stuff in my duffle without unpacking the whole things. Unused clothes stay folded or rolled. I think they take up less space/weight than packing cubes.

I am going to start using hand sanitizer. Ate in an Indian restaurant in Singapore and got sick. I'm convinced it was my hands, not the restaurant (my son ate there too, same food and didn't get sick).

I don't like those "travel" clothes either. They feel icky. But I love my exofficio underwear. And my son travels with a drain plug. I'm going to get me one. Stayed in an expensive hotel where washing my undies would have cost about $5US each. But even there the drain leaked enough to be maddening. I usually try to find a local laundry, but we were in the Convention Center area of Singapore and finding a laundry would have taken more time and energy than I was willing to give it.

Everyone is different.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by hunter hair
Mine has gone through a security scanner at least 30 times. Took it out once just to show it to the TSA agent because I curious what he'd say. He checked it out and said no problem and called his supervisor over to see it and she also said it is perfectly fine, she actually ^said it was very interesting.
Just curious... do you work for the manufacturer of the Reposer?

In any case, TSA ≠ FAA
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I've also taken my tablet, kindle, and camera on more trips that I can count where they never got used. It turns out when you carry a phone which does a mediocre job of handling all those use cases it's hardly ever worth the hassle to dig out and carry something bigger which does a marginally better job of it.
I don't think a phone camera will be much use for wildlife photography.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by mapu
These travel containers for liquids:

So unnecessary.
I agree with you but these containers are necessary for girly girls who have tons of skin care products to apply everyday.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:27 pm

FAA is not the same as TSA

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Just curious... do you work for the manufacturer of the Reposer?

In any case, TSA ≠ FAA
Understand that but when the FAA was asked officially for an evaluation, a certificate of compliance, or just a stated approval for the RePoser, their response was simply that it needs to comply with TSA guidelines, as stated on the TSA website. The RePoser was designed with these guidelines in mind. There is no such certification available from either FAA or TSA.

Yes, in full disclosure, I am the inventor and owner of the RePoser. I adhere to the guidelines of flyertalk.com and do not try to promote my commercial interests, merely trying to respond to some bad publicity. Have been cast into this category without a fair trial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.