Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage brand of your choice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by ChicagoBadBoy
3. Almost very flight attendant and pilot use TravelPro
This is not as high a recommendation as it may seem at first. FAs and pilots get to carry their luggage in the cabin. It is never checked in and thus never subjected to the same abuse as yours and mine. Their bags will last longer regardless of quality.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by aktchi
This is not as high a recommendation as it may seem at first. FAs and pilots get to carry their luggage in the cabin. It is never checked in and thus never subjected to the same abuse as yours and mine. Their bags will last longer regardless of quality.
I agree after owning 1 TravelPro. Not the same quality as B&R or eBags. I have seen old Samsonite Oyster hardshell with the latches being picked up off the carousel by the flight crew in uniform.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA
Briggs & Riley for luggage. The lifetime warranty counts for a lot. Not familiar with their newer stuff because I'm still using some B&R bags (wheeled carryon, soft duffel, bathroom kit bag) I bought at least 20 years ago. Had to get one repair done once, no cost, no hassle. Probably won't ever have to buy luggage again. (Although I still love looking at all kinds of travel gear and am enjoying this thread and this forum very much.)

My smaller travel bags (shoulder bag, packing kits, computer sleeve) are Eagle Creek and have also lasted decades.

I still have a big hard-sided Samsonite suitcase that I used to have to use when transporting things it was important not to break or clothes it was important not to wrinkle. Haven't used it for quite a while, but it's probably 30 years old and still works and looks great.

Last edited by cubbie; Feb 12, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
If I have to carry a suit I have a Briggs & Riley carryon for that. If no suit I carry a Tom Bihn Aeronaut. Both are outstanding bags in their own right.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:55 am

Luggage of choice

- Had several pieces of Andiamo, however due their weight, it has become only car thing. Love those! They will outlive me.

- Had several pieces of Victorinox, Tourbach; today using only 24" as check-in item, and I love it, despite it is probably not made anymore. After 50+ trips to Asia, EU, NA and Africa in so many years, it is still as new.

- Boarding case of choice, I am still undecided. My titanium Topas nephew collected last year for himself, so I am now considering several replacement products out of following group - Victorinox 20" Hybrid Global, Rimowa Topas Mini Trolley, and Rimowa Topas IATA 22" (I prefer 2 wheels for some hard to explain reasons).

- Boarding personal item - considering only one, Tumi CFX carbon fiber Marina bag. It is very much overpriced briefcase, but functionally very well thought out, extremely light despite demonstration piece was loaded with my 15" computer and iPad. Overall comfort it delivers is promising to be priceless.
Everyone who travels a lot knows how things get heavy when one is tired after crossing a pond in 13 hrs, and facing situations where you need to be calm, wearing dry face only. (Weight - a reason why I dumped Cannon camera, got a rangefinder instead, and never look back). Disclaimer, I do not work for any of those companies.
On down side, Marina is a tad (maybe a cm or so) oversize to Lufthansa demands, yet OK by most of the others.

Last edited by Sakae; Feb 15, 2015 at 12:06 pm Reason: Typos corrected.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:06 pm
YKF

Rimowa. Made in germany. Not china, taiwan, japan, etc
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by YKF
Rimowa is based on design originating in Germany, however if I am not mistaken, it is also produced in your neck of woods (Southern Ontario).
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by YKF
Originally Posted by Sakae
Rimowa is based on design originating in Germany, however if I am not mistaken, it is also produced in your neck of woods (Southern Ontario).
Cambridge, ON. Close enough to YKF.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:15 am
YKF

Originally Posted by tentseller
Cambridge, ON. Close enough to YKF.
The one i have added is made in germany. thanks
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
After going through several bags and brands, some of which lasted only a couple of trips, I finally found the Travelpro Crew 9 series and I am sticking with it. I have the 26incher for longer trips, and the rolling tote for shorter. They look gorgeous and expensive, sturdy, and seem like brand new after several international trips. I got them discounted for $150ish for the 26incher and less than $100 for the rolling tote. Fantastic value for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Lugg.../dp/B0089AXVYA

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Lugg.../dp/B0089AXVJA

The Crew 10 is out now and is cheaper, but IMO the 9 series looks better. Btw, the Travelpro crew series is the only luggage the Boeing store carries, for some reason.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 16, 2015 at 8:26 am
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:54 pm

Lufthansa

I hope to be forgiven for little OT question, but I struggle to locate a fresh thread on this subject.
Despite receiving on this forum already once an advice to stick with IATA designated sizes, may I ask whether anyone encountered recently drama having carry-on to 56 (instead 55 cm), and how that issue was resolved?
Here is the thing; without warning, surprisingly, I received over the weekend as a gift carry-on, but it is not IATA size. (22" instead 21.5").
Has anyone sage opinion and advise what I can expect at various airports? (Frankfurt - Japan later this year). Last trip I have taken across the pond was about 14 months ago, so I am little rusty.
Thanks

Last edited by Sakae; Feb 16, 2015 at 1:13 pm Reason: Typos
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I have use both Atlantic and TravelPro for 8 month round the world trips. Atlantic made it about 7 months (then fell apart). I laughed & cried as I saw all my clothes sticking out of it on the carousel wrapped in tape in Bali Indonesia. TravelPro made it without issue and is lighter (just under 6 lbs I think). In fact, I'm now traveling with the same bag that made it the 8 months. So it's still going. I'm definitely a TravelPro bag man now. Hard to beat a $100 cost and the weight. Although their new Maxlite 3 is a disappointment vs the prior Maxlite 2 version. It's 1" shorter and doesn't lean back as much so it constantly falls over.

You may also want to check this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ry-bag-29.html

As for carry on - I used to use a Pearl Izumi daypack (they don't make them any more sadly) and it lasted over 10 years. More recently I switched to Timbuk2 for my daypack carry on. Very lightweight and the fabric is nice and hard to tear. All these bags came with laptop compartments (but in the form of a day pack knapsack) So far so good (although it's only been on limited 3 mo trips).

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Feb 16, 2015 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Personally I like Delsey and have traveled a lot, domestically and internationally, with my present setup. Mrs. K prefers Samsonite but I think she got hooked on them when they were one of the first lines with a full line of "spinner" bags. With either line we buy most of our luggage at Macy's during one of their almost constant luggage sales. We looked at Rimowa just this past Saturday but the price was just a bit high for our taste and the relatively good service we've gotten with our present luggage.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:28 pm

Tom Bihn - Europe, road trips
Lojel - lightest carry on spinner I could find
One tiny B&R wheeled carry on for the rough streets of NY
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Briggs and Riley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.