FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfkne
Print Wikipost

The little useful things no one thinks of

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Extension cord, mine is 3 metres with three two pronge US outlets at the end.

Eating utensils: I have a folding lexan spork and a pair of metal chopsticks that comes apart and screw together like pool cues in a carrying case.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:10 pm

Plastic grocery bags for stinky workout clothes and/or dirty shoes.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Low-tech, good old binder clips (black, assorted sizes - I take the small ones, as useful as good old duct tape, leave no residual stickies behind.) Good for those room-darkening shades when you wanted to sleep late (a luxury on weekends, LOL) and to keep those lengthly micro-usb & HDMI/audio cables neatly together & better than paper clips in holding stacks of papers/receipts/etc. together - inexpensive & no big deal if lost.
I always use the hangars from the hotel room closet that have the pants clips on them for this purpose.

Originally Posted by langham123
Resusable small vacuum bag I keep in my carryon, which works well if you roll it, should no vacuum be available. Mine accommodated several changes of underwear, T shirts and spare pants. Left room for sandals, laptop charger, travel blanket etc.
I also carry a can opener, bottle thingy and plastic spoon and fork.
I haven't chanced a plastic knife after I was made to repack my tweezers in my check in bag!
I used to carry a bottle opener/wine cork but the TSA took it once and I haven't replaced it.

Last edited by Cargojon; Jan 27, 2015 at 11:21 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: US Gold
Like a couple of others have mentioned, I carry a spork, and like one other I carry a pair of travel chopsticks that unscrew into halves. Also, since a trip to Tokyo (where I couldn't read the very few street signs and there are many confusing entrances and exits to the metro), a small compass. A 3x5 paper notebook and pen. Small bottle of baking soda (for use to wash things out, general cleaner). Small amount of gorilla tape wound around a plastic core I picked up somewhere. Packing tape strips (http://www.amazon.com/3M-3750P-Scotc...ng+tape+strips) - they take up no space, and surprisingly often I need to put something in the post. A small pair of scissors with round tips sold as "mustache scissors" - I keep it in my liquids bag so they don't have to dig through anything to see them.

Also: 1-2 large cotton handkerchiefs. I prefer them anyway because they don't disintegrate when you use them, but besides nose-blowing and glasses cleaning (not in the same corner of the handkerchief) they're useful if something spills or to hold something hot, or to provide a safer, less slippery surface on which to fix/take apart something small (glasses, microSIMs). Also, I tend to think that if you carelessly stash a partially used handkerchief in the pocket where your wallet is, even the most diehard pickpocket might draw the line...

wg
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by AATrout
About 30 feet of 3.0mm utility cord, 3mm-utility-cord 50-ft 6-8 cheap wooden clothespins, and a Nite Ize tensioner.
I had $5 off and free shoprunner shipping so splurged on this portable clothesline by Sea to Summit.

There are threads about braiding your own clothesline, but I like the neat package and bead system by Sea to Summit in lieu of clothespins.

I really splurged on their folding bucket as well (comes in a handy square zip-up pouch) - makes laundry so much nicer to do than in the sink. I also use this for various purposes while camping/backpacking.

I too travel with a "spork" - a plastic one by Light My Fire and their Titanium one when not flying (too paranoid that non-US airport screeners will try to confiscate as it does have a small serrated edge on the fork portion.) Used to also pack chopsticks, but found them redundant in my quest to go "ultralight" whilst traveling.

Microfiber "handkerchief" as many public restrooms in Asia do not carry paper towels; Can double as a bath towel to dry off in a pinch (or whilst camping). Quick-drying too.

Collapsible funnel for filling a flatpack platypus.

Pair of nitrile gloves and 1/8th of a kitchen sponge.

This bottle opener carabiner keychain.

Last edited by Jay K; Jan 29, 2015 at 10:05 pm Reason: More stuff
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
A couple of clear plastic one-quart sandwich bags. Don't use them on every trip but invaluable when I need them.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Independent
A few squares of that puffy shelf liner. Great gor use on glass or slippery table tops and desk tops to keep laptops, fans, bottles, etc. from slipping around or making a racket.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I have ten 12" ball bungee cords that I have strung together for a clothesline. They are much stronger and more adjustable than the clotheslines I have seen at REI or online. Smaller space? Remove a cord or two.

Obviously this isn't for a long weekend trip. It's for the two and three + month trips where it is a huge help with the things I want to hand wash so they aren't ruined.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I have ten 12" ball bungee cords that I have strung together for a clothesline. They are much stronger and more adjustable than the clotheslines I have seen at REI or online. Smaller space? Remove a cord or two.

Obviously this isn't for a long weekend trip. It's for the two and three + month trips where it is a huge help with the things I want to hand wash so they aren't ruined.
Talk about repurposing! I generally carry a few bungee cords on my golf trips in case the rolling trolley I rent doesn't have straps to secure my golf bag. Now, I have a second use for those cords. . .
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by chx1975
freecia, you are the reason I started this thread I am eyeing a Sun-Star PetitChokit Micro Scissors and a Zebra Penpod Mini Keychain Ballpoint Pen already. Fantastic. Never heard of these things before. langham123, which can opener? I found the Nogent Super Kim, curious
The can opener 'universal' product was picked up at Walmart some years ago. It's only half size. Keep one in my 'hurricane' kit' as well. Not been stopped so far, but so much inconsistency in the TSA, who can say. It isn't listed as banned.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: US Gold
Ah, yes: I also carry a rubber? braided clothesline, a packtowl, a couple of spare small plastic bags, and a small pair of latex gloves.

I like the chopsticks because I find it's easier to eat airplane salad with them than with a plastic fork.

My one real luxury item is the Contigo leakproof flask. Having once lost a small laptop to a computercidal mug of tea, I don't like open tops...

wg
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I try to carry the small/cheap corkscrew (like this so I don't care if TSA takes it. Good luck if I can actually open a bottle of wine with one, but it's better than nothing. I did have mine taken away by Costa Rican airport security (some of the most strict I've faced) but I asked them to let me keep the cover (since the screw is what they objected to) and I had another cheapie at home missing its cover/arms, so that was nice. Of course they thought I was bonkers, but then, they had just taken my 2 inch corkscrew as a security threat, so I'm not sure who was bonkers more in that scenario.....
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg
Packing tape strips (http://www.amazon.com/3M-3750P-Scotc...ng+tape+strips) - they take up no space, and surprisingly often I need to put something in the post.
wg
Thank you! I've been carrying around a tear by hand roll of packaging tape. The flat version is more space efficient, though I usually pack the roll around some ziplock bags or high heel (lost space below the shoe unless packed along something squishy).

Originally Posted by Jay K
I really splurged on their folding bucket as well - makes laundry so much nicer to do than in the sink. I also use this for various purposes while camping/backpacking.
I have the Sea to Summit ultrasil kitchen sink http://www.seatosummit.com.au/produc...-kitchen-sink/ It can carefully be stood up when full in the shower and is great for hand washing when I'm traveling in shower mostly countries + "designer" shallow sinks. My laundry kit also includes amenity kit toothbrush, travel laundry line, 2 plastic clothes pins, few slivers of Fels Naptha in a pill sized baggie for stubborn stains, spare clothes pins, cupboard bag hook from Daiso, and Shout Wipes. The Daiso hook clips onto cupboards and is intended hang a plastic grocery bag. I use it in cruise cabins more than hotel rooms. It all fits in an old Singapore airlines economy amenity kit bag.

All these little things might seem to account for a lot (especially since I pack an item called the kitchen sink...), but I'm a one carry-on + personal item leisure traveler. It all fits in a small space.

I would like to replace my mini tape lint roller with a flat tape style lint remover. Are there any suggestions? This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Mini-Lint-R...YVM9H1D4R530NV
I'm leaning towards trying out a stack of full sheet post-it squares.
wrenb likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
I would like to replace my mini tape lint roller with a flat tape style lint remover. Are there any suggestions? This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Mini-Lint-R...YVM9H1D4R530NV
I'm leaning towards trying out a stack of full sheet post-it squares.
If you work in an office that sends FedEx, you might purloin a couple of FedEx label sleeves. They work brilliantly as lint removers!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Napkins. I keep some in my bag and my car glove compartment. Amazing how often you run into a mess, get your hands dirty, need to blow your nose etc.

I also like having a pen and some paper, also good to be able to work stuff out by hand if you have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.