Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

If you could mod your carry-on to do one extra thing, what would it be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could mod your carry-on to do one extra thing, what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
light lighter lightest !
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I would make the front compartment of my B&R 231X more like the front compartment of the B&R Verb computer bags.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mellonc
Make the wheels retractable into wheer the current briggs riley outside handles are.... so that it doens't take up anymore room.
^^^

Great minds think alike
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:27 pm

Large wheels (on 2 wheelers) like Eagle Creek uses makes pulling easier but they need to be more recessed to use up as little as possible of the 22 inches. Add a bag straps with a hook option. The hook makes it so much easier when you have to separate your bags to get on a shuttle or stairs. A side pocket with elastic to hold a water bottle, an umbrella or a rolledup newspaper. A bungee for your coat. Inside, where most of the top lids have one large zipper compartment, I'd like it divided in two, one mesh, one clear plastic.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Can you elaborate? I'm not getting the mental picture when you say "handle opening." do you mean the opening between the top of the retractable handle and the little support bar right underneath?
Exactly. For some reason I think that gap is too narrow. Seems to jam a finger every once and awhile.

I mean this thingy right below here.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards
Make the wheels retractable into wheer the current briggs riley outside handles are....
Originally Posted by mahanaloa
^^^

Great minds think alike

I found this video and it looks like new company may be doing just that.

http://www.retracenterprises.com/media/
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have the Tumi Super Leger International. If I could modify it, I'd make it expandable, and I'd make it a little lighter - I think there's about half a pound of unnecessary padding that could go. Expandable because sometimes when I'm on a business trip I carry on on the way out and check on the way home if I have bought a lot of stuff. Also, sometimes in winter I'd like to put a coat inside my bag once I'm past the sizers.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Independent
Make the wheels retractable into wheer the current briggs riley outside handles are.... so that it doens't take up anymore room.
Kind of like this? http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-C.../dp/B0020MMCNO

I've thought about this. But in the end I couldn't figure out how to turn the wheels in and out without lots of complicated mechanics that ended up tasking up a lot of room and weight, not to mention made it too hard to do while trying to board a plane. For that matter one thing I dont like about the B&R is that while it is nice to have the handle on the outside, you loose a lot of in between space too. I'd almost rather have the space taken up along the side of the bag than from the depth.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I dont like about the B&R is that while it is nice to have the handle on the outside, you loose a lot of in between space too. I'd almost rather have the space taken up along the side of the bag than from the depth.
Exactly. The space of the tubes is wasted either way. By putting them outside, you lose that inch across the entire width of the bag. That's a lot of cubes.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:24 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I'd mod mine to have a 12,000 or 15,000 mAh Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Pack molded to the inside top with Two USB ports flush on the exterior!
I no longer travel with a Laptop, but with a Chromebook and a Tablet. And two Cell Phones. I don't need 110 volt, but I do need USB Power. It really would be easy to put in a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery pack and mod the bag with two nice flush USB ports on a Carry-On bag.

I may have to try this. Yes, I know you can buy a battery with the ports in it, but I'm talking about modding a bag with the battery built in and the ports flush on the exterior top or on the high sides so you don't have to open anything or pull out a battery pack or wires. You just plug in your tablet or cell right into your bag.

That would be slick and convenient.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by pilotalan
Exactly. The space of the tubes is wasted either way. By putting them outside, you lose that inch across the entire width of the bag. That's a lot of cubes.
Actually, it's a little more completed than that once you start to think about putting the bag inside a confined space. How it sits in there (e.g. inside of overhead bin) determines the ultimate amount of space you have. Anyway, I've done a thread on this topic. It's a bit nerdy but you can check it out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-outside.html
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Independent
Actually, it's a little more completed than that once you start to think about putting the bag inside a confined space. How it sits in there (e.g. inside of overhead bin) determines the ultimate amount of space you have. Anyway, I've done a thread on this topic. It's a bit nerdy but you can check it out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-outside.html
True, but in almost all cases, the true sizing limits are not the overhead bins themselves, it's the airline sizer, which is a rectangular block. I have a couple of good suitcases which easily fit in the overheads, but now with stricter carry-on policing, dont fit the sizers. So that is what you have to design to.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:42 am

actually a sizer IS a space constraint. The bag has to fit in the space. You will note that most bags with handle inside has wheels sticking out in the back. As such, it wastes space also (becasue the extrusion of the wheel becomes the max measurement of the bag) Briggs and Riley gets rid of that problem by moving other parts out of the bag and making them become the perimeter of the bag.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The tubes on the exterior of a B&R bag add much more depth than the wheels protruding from most any other bag. The wheels of my TravelPro Crew 9 protrude 0.54" from the rear plane of the bag, while the tubes of a B&R bag are easily 0.75-1", along with the cubes of packable space lost around/between the tubes.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The tubes on the exterior of a B&R bag add much more depth than the wheels protruding from most any other bag. The wheels of my TravelPro Crew 9 protrude 0.54" from the rear plane of the bag, while the tubes of a B&R bag are easily 0.75-1", along with the cubes of packable space lost around/between the tubes.
yes. I agree with your statement. The Briggs bags protrude 1 and 3/8 inch outside - meaning that it lost that much space.

However, if you lay it flat on the ground. the extrusion from the wheels and extrusion from the handle are exactly the same 1 and 3/8 inch enabling the bag to lay perfectly flat - making the entire perimeter a rectangle.

As such, and going back to the OP's request, I said that it would be great, if Briggs can devise a wheel system that can retract into that "void" or "space" into that cavernous area say, between the handle bars or outside of the handle bars while keeping the "extrusion" still at 1 and 3/8 of an inch so that no more space is wasted......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.