Wiki Posts
Search

New Luggage for Int'l Sales guy...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

New Luggage for Int'l Sales guy...

Hello folks...

New sales director here... it's been 7 months and i've flown 150k miles already. I bought a TP Crew9 in the beginning of the year and I'm having it repaired tomorrow already. I mostly fly international and am looking for a durable suitcase - I travel to Africa, India and the Middle East mostly - from the US.

I like stylish items, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. I think the Rimowa Topas Stealth would be awesome, but it's too expensive. I usually pack 2 or 3 (max) suits, shirts, and clothes for casual outings. Accompanied with 2/3 pairs of shoes (1 or 2 dressy shoes and 1 pair of sneakers)

Alternatives for Suitcase:

Samsung Silhouette
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or

Tumi T-Tech Medium

New backpack - mostly for Laptop / iPad / Phones:

B&R Excursion Backpack
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3NPCBA/...332200_TE_item

or

Tumi T-tech convertible laptop brief bag

Any thoughts? I would love to hear your take?
Anyone use the Sonicare DiamondClean toothbrush? I'm thinking of getting one... I'm gone so much that I don't get to use my sonicare @ home. Is it worth the $200?

What else am I missing?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:12 pm

I would look at the Briggs & Riley Baseline or Transcend lines. They will be similar in functionality to your Crew 9 but with improved build quality.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Which airlines do you fly? If you fly LH, OS, AF or LX that are all weight conscious and want to carry-on only then you need something light like the Rimowa Salsa or the Tumi Super Leger. I fly a lot in Europe and the 8Kg carryon limit kills me (12Kg on AF including the briefcase weight). I have the Super Leger but considering the salsa just because it's a pound lighter. If you fly on BA or the US carriers then it doesn't matter.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:42 pm

I love my Eagle Creeks. Some of their luggage carries a lifetime guarantee and they don't care how it was damaged.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I actually prefer checking my bags so I can walk through the airport & connect with nothing more than my backpack!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
I'd take a good look at the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe (4-wheel). When I say "I'd take a look at" what I mean is, "I'd buy".

Without a doubt. If mine broke I'd buy another in an instant.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Why the salsa deluxe over the air or topas?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
No self respecting sales director checks luggage! You should take a management role that requires less travel.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'll be the voice of the cheapskates, but I'd grab the Ricardo Dash 20" + 26" set from Costco for $99. They use the same wheels as Rimowa, Muji, and others, come with the Costo return policy (i.e. no questions asked warranty, exchange anywhere there's a Costco), and are an extremely great value. I'm personally not a spinner guy and usually an advocate for higher-end soft-sided luggage, but the design and mfg processes for hard-sided luggage is democratized to a great degree. Also, for $99, you're covered for both checked and carry-on depending on what a particular trip calls for. The $39 20" they sell individually looks a bit nicer (matte grey finish instead of gloss black), but value wise the set is excellent if you want/need both sizes and they don't sell an equivalent 26" stand-alone.

As for the carry bag, it's mostly going to be personal preference. From your list, I would probably go with the Tumi Convertible because I personally wouldn't want to wear a backpack into a meeting, but I also almost always travel in a sport coat and backpacks don't agree with that (wrinkles, bunching, constricting movement, etc).
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NYTA
No self respecting sales director checks luggage! You should take a management role that requires less travel.
There are all kinds of different roles in different companies, markets, and industries that require different levels of travel. The Pres & CEO of my last company was both DL Diamond and LH HON because he was also on the board of the parent company based in Germany.

Your experience or circumstances aren't indicative of the world as a whole...
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
There are all kinds of different roles in different companies, markets, and industries that require different levels of travel. The Pres & CEO of my last company was both DL Diamond and LH HON because he was also on the board of the parent company based in Germany.

Your experience or circumstances aren't indicative of the world as a whole...
I think your sarcasm detector is broken !
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I think your sarcasm detector is broken !
Aparently. Cue me into the indicator I missed ... like one of these guys maybe?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Aparently. Cue me into the indicator I missed ... like one of these guys maybe?
Horrible things....best left to schoolkids....
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

The Ricardo suitcases are polypropylene... Is that as durable as polycarbonate?

I think i'm going to go with the Tumi backpack because it will look better when I take it to business meetings, but still not decided on the suitcase. Ahhh decisions!!
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by mtoure80
The Ricardo suitcases are polypropylene... Is that as durable as polycarbonate?

I think i'm going to go with the Tumi backpack because it will look better when I take it to business meetings, but still not decided on the suitcase. Ahhh decisions!!
I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. The 2-piece set is Polypropylene while the 20" stand-alone is Polycarbonate. Polypropylene will be more rigid and should wear as well or better, but will be a bit heavier. I wouldn't walk away from a Polypropylene bag just for that reason if it checked off all the other boxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.