Professional looking laptop backpack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Professional looking laptop backpack

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
You may want to look at the Eagle Creek Convertabrief. Converts from messenger bag to backpack.

Eagle Creek Convertabrief
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/convertabrief/d/1409
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm an amateur looking for a laptop bag Also looking to take advantage of cyber monday deals.

My main question is, how big can it be to still fit under the seat in front of me? It's important to me that it counts as a personal item because I hate checking bags (so I want to use my spinner carry-on, plus a laptop bag)

Is 5" thick too much? The one I'm considering getting is 16.5" x 12" x 5" (this one).

I usually fly VX if that's important (but I do want to be able to fly other airlines!)
You shouldn't have any issues getting that under most seats. Certain aircraft (depending on carrier) have aisle seats with narrow underseat storage areas, or have "entertainment" boxes underneath the seats, restricting width, but I've generally been able to fit my backpack (listed at 12.99" wide, 16.93" long, and 7.87" thick - so a little larger in every dimension than the bag you're considering) under most seats.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that's good enough for me
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MtlTourist
I have the Tumi Alpha Bravo Deluxe Brief Pack.
http://www.amazon.com/Tumi-Alpha-Kin...dp/B00CQJH4T8/

I suggest to get it in Hickory. It looks very professional over the other colors. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago at the Tumi retail store, when they had a 20% store wide off sale. I paid $360 instead of $445. I love it!
Other than cost, what is the difference between yours and this one?
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M3TJ32...X4II4WRN&psc=1
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Other than cost, what is the difference between yours and this one?
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M3TJ32...X4II4WRN&psc=1

I looked at that backpack too. It was smaller than the one I bought and couldn't hold my laptop and other accessories.

I geeked out and brought my laptop into the store to try them out for size.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MtlTourist
I looked at that backpack too. It was smaller than the one I bought and couldn't hold my laptop and other accessories.

I geeked out and brought my laptop into the store to try them out for size.
Thanks!

I've had that version on my Amazon wish list for a while, but I think your version is better.
I regularly travel with a work computer (a 11"), and my personal MacBook Air (11"), along with some toiletries, an extra set of underwear/t-shirts, plus all of the charging cables.
Do you think the one you have would hold all this?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks!

I've had that version on my Amazon wish list for a while, but I think your version is better.
I regularly travel with a work computer (a 11"), and my personal MacBook Air (11"), along with some toiletries, an extra set of underwear/t-shirts, plus all of the charging cables.
Do you think the one you have would hold all this?
I normally don't put any clothing in my backpack. My only suggestion is to physically look at the bag before buying it, either at the Tumi retail store (where I bought mine), or a department store like Macy's or Nordstrom.

This backpack is technically a downgrade size-wise for me. I had the Tumi T-Tech prior to this, but it was too big to fit under the seat in some of the planes.

I will say that my 16" laptop, notepad, tablet, case for cables, and power cord, all fit nicely and the bag still fits great under the seat. If I tried to fit any clothing or toiletries, it wouldn't fit in the bag. But again, I would inspect the bag myself before buying it, like I did. It may suit your needs. For the price, I didn't want to take a chance of having it not suit my needs without looking at it first, and deciding on the color in person as well.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I swear by http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...Backpack_VP275 this beauty.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:57 am

Im using Amerileather 'Woody' Leather bag for my laptop. I love it.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:05 am

I have had (still have) the Tumi Bravo backpack for years. It has a place for everything and it's easy to drop in an Eaglecreek Packing Folder with a couple of shirts in for an overnight.

But recently my corporate issue laptop has been replaced with something much much smaller (a Lenovo X240) and the Tumi is now just to big with loads of empty space.

So I have recently bought a Samsonite X Blade 2 Small which takes my laptop and ipad and a few bits and pieces and it also fits under the seat as well as the overhead.

When everything I need it in, it really is full but not overly so and in business black it still looks the part. I haven't seen this range outside of Europe though so you may need to hunt one down. They also do different sizes.

Coming from a Tumi backpack, whilst you can feel the difference in quality, you can't see it and it still feels like it will give long service.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:55 am

Think Tank

I personally love Think Tank bags/backpacks.
I have two of them and love that I can house a laptop and DSLR with a couple lenses, plus snacks and files! Scott
Check them out:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:50 am

Check out http://www.booqbags.com/

I have the Mamba Courier, although it's a messenger bag not a backpack. It's very business, and great quality.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
+1 for Everki. I get asked quite often: "what type of bag is that?". It's my "office" and it works great for this.

Originally Posted by emrdoc
No backpack looks professional. They are for students.
...and 8-tracks will come back one day.
jgor likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
I got a great one at the Tumi Outlet. I can put two laptops in it, and my iPad, headphones, and whatever paperwork I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.