Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Carryon that functions like a backpack... but isn't.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Is there a personal item/carry on that functions like a backpack, but isn't? I am looking for something that will fit a 15 inch laptop as well as a few articles of clothing. Backpacks would be great, but are too informal for work travel purposes. I am eying the Tumi Alpha Bravo Everette, but wanted to pick your brains to see if anyone knew a cheaper equivalent. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TOMFORD; Oct 9, 2014 at 6:42 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Question

Originally Posted by agp423
Is there a personal item/carry on that functions like a backpack, but isn't? I am looking for something that will fit a 15 inch laptop as well as a few articles of clothing. Backpacks would be great, but are too informal for work travel purposes. I am eying the Tumi Alpha Bravo Everette, but wanted to pick your brains to see if anyone knew a cheaper equivalent. Thanks in advance!
what do you mean by "functions as a backpack"? Are you looking for something with shoulder straps? just any bag with space for the laptop and clothing?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I mean spacewise. One shoulder strap preferred but not required.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Ive got one of these that ive used for 2-3 day trips. Has a laptop sleeve and opens at the top like a backpack. Fits under the seat even on a Dash-8.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Lugg...2943707&sr=1-3
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
This. (which is an excellent bargain)

Or any other expandable briefcase you might find you like. Use folders/cubes for clothing that can easily be removed and left in the car if need arises.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
I recently bought one of these, a Samsonite City Vibe "3-Way Business Case Expandible".

http://www.samsonite.co.uk/cityvibe-...?or=2682542732

Despite it's odd name, it's really quite good. It looks professional when carrying it by the handles, and it has some hidden backpack straps that are zipped away until you need them.

If I pack carefully, I can manage a full work week of clothes with a large laptop and iPad.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
This for Eagle Creek may suit.

I'm normally happy with an Eastpak messenger.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:40 pm

depending where i am going and for how long, i have say 3 different backpacks and 1 bag that can be considered a hand carry.

Osprey 46 backpack/hand carry bag
North Face Heckler backpack
North Face Rogue
Eddie Bauer Adventure

My osprey 46 was with me and I had no problems with it as a hand carry flying from washington, dulles with continuing service to manila, philippines via incheon, korea and back....
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: United Platinum; Hilton D; Marriott G
May I ask why you want a single shoulder strap? I had for years wrestled with a rolling laptop bag from Ogio, then Kensington. When the Kensington finally broke I went to an Ogio bandit 17. I traditionally carry the laptop and electronics accessories in my laptop bag and clothing with toiletries in the rollaboard. When I tote the bags from car through airport to hotel, I was constantly fighting the one strap on the laptop bag or finding it would flop backwards on the suitcase handle. When I had to check a bag for a long trip or one which required additional supplies, I would wheel my laptop bag. With the one strap I can't keep both hands free--one for a drink and one for the phone or boarding pass or opening a door, etc. With the backpack I have that freedom.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vicemagnet
May I ask why you want a single shoulder strap? I had for years wrestled with a rolling laptop bag from Ogio, then Kensington. When the Kensington finally broke I went to an Ogio bandit 17. I traditionally carry the laptop and electronics accessories in my laptop bag and clothing with toiletries in the rollaboard. When I tote the bags from car through airport to hotel, I was constantly fighting the one strap on the laptop bag or finding it would flop backwards on the suitcase handle. When I had to check a bag for a long trip or one which required additional supplies, I would wheel my laptop bag. With the one strap I can't keep both hands free--one for a drink and one for the phone or boarding pass or opening a door, etc. With the backpack I have that freedom.
I don't have a strong preference for a single strap, but I would like a brief-case-shaped / brief-case-esque bag. Wearing a three piece suit and carrying a backpack looks wrong.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Gold (MM), Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Timbuk2 Ace Laptop Backpack Messenger Bag

This bag might fit your needs. I didn't get one myself yet because I didn't have space to bring it home, but was sorely tempted and figured I could get it online.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:07 am

This one, perhaps:

http://www.rei.com/product/853832/pa...ss-courier-bag

It has enough depth for a SLR camera, and can easily fit a clothing item or two. There are larger versions. And, a 15" laptop is accommodated.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:45 pm

I am a big fan of the eBags TLS series of bags. For example, http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10299286

It has a side handle so that you can carry it horizontally and allows you stash away the shoulder straps. I had to fly a lot on smaller regional CJR flights so I gave up on roller boards and found bags I can carry on to any size jets.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:06 am

Look at Tom Bihn

Tom Bihn makes several that you might like... Some look like a briefcase style bag, while having backpack straps you can pull out, etc.

Www.tombihn.com
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by agp423
I am eying the Tumi Alpha Bravo Everette, but wanted to pick your brains to see if anyone knew a cheaper equivalent. Thanks in advance!
That Tumi looks pretty sweet. I would also suggest looking at Tom Bihn, though if you decide to deck out your Tristar with accessories...you won't really be looking at something cheaper.

rgustafs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.