Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody using the new Pelican Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Some people like to have nice things. Some people have a genuine fear that their luggage will break and their skivvies will go parading around the carousel. For others it will be longevity, your samsonite luggage won't last 10 years with weekly use - it makes sense to spend more and avoid the aggro of breaking luggage. Especially when you are overseas working.
And some people are doing more than just dragging a suitcase around an airport or city streets and actually require the extra durability and waterproofness (that's not a word, but you know what I mean).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by golmaale
I am trying to understand something here: What is the point of dropping ~$500 on a Pelican 27" (or a Tumi / Rimowa etc), when you could buy 3 sets (=6 pieces) of similar Samsonite luggage (2 piece sets @ $149 each in Costco) and still have money left over? OK, Pelican may be waterproof, but how many of us really NEED that with luggage being transferred on boats etc? Samsonite has a 10 year warranty and if need by one can buy another one after the initial purchase has reached its end of life.

So why spend so much more - unless one is trying to make a status statement?
You don't seem to have any experience with Pelican cases. They are watertight and almost unbreakable. If you have to transport anything delicate and expensive, they are the way to go. It's not a must-have because it's so cool, but for what these cases are capeable of. Even survives DL baggage handlers!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I am trying to understand something here: What is the point of dropping ~$500 on a Pelican 27" (or a Tumi / Rimowa etc), when you could buy 3 sets (=6 pieces) of similar Samsonite luggage (2 piece sets @ $149 each in Costco) and still have money left over? OK, Pelican may be waterproof, but how many of us really NEED that with luggage being transferred on boats etc? Samsonite has a 10 year warranty and if need by one can buy another one after the initial purchase has reached its end of life.

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Some people like to have nice things. Some people have a genuine fear that their luggage will break and their skivvies will go parading around the carousel. For others it will be longevity, your samsonite luggage won't last 10 years with weekly use - it makes sense to spend more and avoid the aggro of breaking luggage. Especially when you are overseas working.
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
And some people are doing more than just dragging a suitcase around an airport or city streets and actually require the extra durability and waterproofness (that's not a word, but you know what I mean).
Originally Posted by mapu
You don't seem to have any experience with Pelican cases. They are watertight and almost unbreakable. If you have to transport anything delicate and expensive, they are the way to go. It's not a must-have because it's so cool, but for what these cases are capable of. Even survives DL baggage handlers!
Different strokes for different folks.

I would buy and pay for the premium of luggage for the 0.01% time that I will need it to protect its content (worth many times more than premium luggage) and not cheap out to pay for the 99.99% of the time when it is just good enough to cheap out on quality.

My domestic carry on is a Pelican 1514. No worry gate check with my own Masters lock.

My brother buys cheapest luggage at Walmart until an incident when the luggage broke and sister-in-law's intimates were all over the carousel.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:17 pm

Hi Golmaale -

You are correct.
Most travelers don't need that type of case.

But for those that do (instrumentation, A-V equipment, etc.), the robust construction of the Pelikan case delivers. It is not an issue of status, but better protection of packed equipment. finding broken, wet, dusty, or shock-damaged items at the end of a long and difficult journey is very disappointing.

If your livelihood depends on it, it is even worse. " Well, why didn't you take better precautions then ? " while hardly sympathetic, might even be heralding the end of a career path.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You make it sound like this is not a good thing?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:29 pm

status?
Pelicans come a lot cheaper than this but they are heavy.
I doubt if Samsonite or any other luggage maker can boast of protecting its contents and surviving an IED hit in Iraq when the Humvee around it doesn't survive. Why the US military didn't put their soldiers in the Pelicans is the more important question.
My next check-in luggage will be a Pelican and I am confident that it will outlast my lifetime.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:13 pm

There re differences in warranties and qualities.

I'd rather have a couple of really good pieces of luggage that will make it to my destination and back than to have multiple bags that get demolished halfway through a trip.

I don't care about names but I do care about quality and comprehensive warranties. Briggs & Riley and RedOxx have lifetime no questions asked warranties. My RedOxx bag got stuck coming off a military plane a few years back and got an inch long gash. I sent it in expecting that panel to be replaced. Instead, I got a brand new bag.

I had a brand new eBags TLs bag that got caught on something at United on its very first trip. eBags told me to go pound sand even though all it needed was two zipper pulls.

I'll buy lots of RedOxx and no more eBags.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by cb1111
There re differences in warranties and qualities.

I'd rather have a couple of really good pieces of luggage that will make it to my destination and back than to have multiple bags that get demolished halfway through a trip.

I don't care about names but I do care about quality and comprehensive warranties. Briggs & Riley and RedOxx have lifetime no questions asked warranties. My RedOxx bag got stuck coming off a military plane a few years back and got an inch long gash. I sent it in expecting that panel to be replaced. Instead, I got a brand new bag.

I had a brand new eBags TLs bag that got caught on something at United on its very first trip. eBags told me to go pound sand even though all it needed was two zipper pulls.

I'll buy lots of RedOxx and no more eBags.
Interesting about eBags. I have had very good experience with both Red Oxx and B&R free repairs. In the case of at least one of the B&R repairs, I think the TSA cut the zipper pulls off, it was clearly damage and they fixed it for free.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
status?
Pelicans come a lot cheaper than this but they are heavy.
I doubt if Samsonite or any other luggage maker can boast of protecting its contents and surviving an IED hit in Iraq when the Humvee around it doesn't survive. Why the US military didn't put their soldiers in the Pelicans is the more important question.
My next check-in luggage will be a Pelican and I am confident that it will outlast my lifetime.
The Pelican luggage line is a lot thinner and lighter than the cases you are talking about. Those military cases are nigh indestructible, so I hope that aspect follows over to their luggage.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:17 am

I decided to take a look at the warranty Pelican offers; it is not as comprehensive as what Briggs & Riley offers for their Torq line. B&R's bags are $60-80 more, apples for apples, depending on where you buy the Pelican products.

Quick Example: a local Pelican distributor sells the 30" for $505, eBags sells the comparable 29" Torq for $569. The Pelican 27" sells for $465 (local guy again) and eBags has the 26" Torq for $529.

The B&R warranty may be worth the "extra cost" in the long run. If you travel a lot, that may come in handy. I'm disappointed in Pelican's warranty coverage. I was going to pull the trigger on their luggage, but I think, based on warranty, I will soon go with the Torq line from B&R.

http://www.pelican.com/warranty/. The luggage coverage is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.briggs-riley.com/simple-a...ime-guarantee/

"Food for thought" and all that.

Last edited by OrcaSnack; Nov 14, 2014 at 11:26 am
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I have been looking at these BA22 cases: http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...carry-on/BA22/

Does anyone have experience with these? I am looking at them vs a Torq.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does it really keep out water as well as it seems to suggest it does? I'm thinking of cases where it briefly falls off a boat on landing in shallow water or when a place quickly gets flooded and someone may wake up in the middle of the night to find their room flooded with a closed suitcase on the ground.
I would be surprised if a Pelican case didn't keep the water out in that sort of situation.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OrcaSnack
I decided to take a look at the warranty Pelican offers; it is not as comprehensive as what Briggs & Riley offers for their Torq line. B&R's bags are $60-80 more, apples for apples, depending on where you buy the Pelican products.

Quick Example: a local Pelican distributor sells the 30" for $505, eBags sells the comparable 29" Torq for $569. The Pelican 27" sells for $465 (local guy again) and eBags has the 26" Torq for $529.

The B&R warranty may be worth the "extra cost" in the long run. If you travel a lot, that may come in handy. I'm disappointed in Pelican's warranty coverage. I was going to pull the trigger on their luggage, but I think, based on warranty, I will soon go with the Torq line from B&R.

http://www.pelican.com/warranty/. The luggage coverage is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.briggs-riley.com/simple-a...ime-guarantee/

"Food for thought" and all that.
Link rot: http://www.pelican.com/us/en/about/warranty/
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by dimramon
I have been looking at these BA22 cases: http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...carry-on/BA22/

Does anyone have experience with these? I am looking at them vs a Torq.
Whatever you do, don't buy Torq!

The local repair centers can't fix them, and you will have to send it in for repair. They have had nothing but problems and are on the 3rd release in less than 2 years.

Additionally the bags don't roll on 2 wheels without dragging, so you have to use the spinner method all the time.

You have to pay for shipping the bag into B&R unless the local store you buy it from will do it for free. 2 co-workers have spent more on shipping their torq bags back to B&R than what they paid for the bags originally. One is still using the bag after 2 repairs being sent in, and the other gave up when it broke for the 3rd time. Shipping on the 26" is very expensive via the UPS store.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:24 pm

any thoughts on the handle system for the carry on? flat bottom interior space? also any issues with carrying, say, a laptop bag on top? No handle pass thru

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.