How do you justify buying Rimowa Topas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you justify buying Rimowa Topas?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Expresso Gold Premier Rewards
Red face How do you justify buying Rimowa Topas?

Hey friends, I’m not a frequent traveler but do enjoy the occasional trip, and while I’m not rich, I do have an OK amount of disposable income. I’ve been DROOLING over the Rimowa Topas Cabin IATA for months but can’t justify the price. I just can’t. How do you guys do it?

Is it the last cabin suitcase I’ll ever buy? I’d love to hear your opinions/points of view on this.

My heart really wants one but my wallet just won’t like this.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:46 pm

It is not the last piece of luggage you will buy.

But it may be the first Rimowa luggage case you collect.

Our two are circa 1994, and still looking new and functioning today as they should.

Be bold.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
It sounds like you are looking for a rationale to splurge and buy a gift for yourself.

So just add up all the hours you have spent stressing over it, and multiply that by how much your time is worth per hour.

So if you have spent 40 hours being anxious about it, and you value your own time at $20 per hour, you have wasted $800. That's more than the bag costs, so you should just go ahead and buy it to spare yourself another wasted $800.

On the flip side, it's just a bag. Try not to sweat it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: *G
it looks pretty
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:51 am
YKF

Lust of the eyes, Lust of the flesh, the pride of life
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:53 am

Same way we justify buying a nice pair of shoes, shirts, the latest smartphone etc...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Ask any woman why she buys the 2,000 dollar leather bag when a 200 dollar one or even 20 dollar one can do exactly the same thing.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
I would think twice before buying the Rimowa Topas cabin trolley. Not because it is not a nice bag, but because it is very heavy for a carry on and you'll run into trouble on airlines that enforce weight for carry-ons.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by mapu
I would think twice before buying the Rimowa Topas cabin trolley. Not because it is not a nice bag, but because it is very heavy for a carry on and you'll run into trouble on airlines that enforce weight for carry-ons.
Have never had this issue, but still would not recommend a Rimowa cabin trolley. Yes, nice to look at, and sturdy, too. But not really practical. Any softshell trolley will stretch a bit, and many are even expandable. Rimowa isn't - it follows the exact IATA cabin baggage dimensions, so in reality its capacity is much more limited.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:51 pm

Hi Mapu -

That has not been our experience since buying 2 Rimowa Topas carry-on cases in 1994.

Quite the contrary, we find the alu. cases lighter than others, and can easily pack a week's worth of light clothing, an amenity kit ( Rimowa, of course) and small personal items.

But you do make a good point about overloading carry-on, which many passengers can do, especially in Winter.

Cheers,
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: UA GS
Rimowa Width

I really like my Rimowa bags, but I would be nervous about investing so much in a bag that is out of compliance with the U.S. domestic airlines carryon policy. I think all of the Rimowa carryons are about 15.7 inches wide. That is well over the 14-inch limit of the U.S. carriers.

I know enforcement it limited and the sizers are slightly oversized, but that is a lot of money to invest if the airlines ever get serious.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I fly weekly so my justification was more that I was at least getting my money's worth of use out of it. If I was only taking 1-2 trips a year, then I probably wouldn't spend the money.

My Topas replaced a Tumi Alpha 2 and it ended up being a couple pounds lighter. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not practical because you can fit a week's worth of stuff in there and it's not harder to put in the overhead than a nylon rollerboard.

Yes it's not technically in compliance but the chances of getting stopped are low. The width I think may include the outside handle and rubber feet so from a glance it's not really that much wider. I have a Tumi Alpha 2 4 wheel carry on as well and my Topas looks about the same height and width wise and even smaller depth.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Expresso Gold Premier Rewards
Originally Posted by tsolin01
I fly weekly so my justification was more that I was at least getting my money's worth of use out of it. If I was only taking 1-2 trips a year, then I probably wouldn't spend the money.

My Topas replaced a Tumi Alpha 2 and it ended up being a couple pounds lighter. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not practical because you can fit a week's worth of stuff in there and it's not harder to put in the overhead than a nylon rollerboard.

Yes it's not technically in compliance but the chances of getting stopped are low. The width I think may include the outside handle and rubber feet so from a glance it's not really that much wider. I have a Tumi Alpha 2 4 wheel carry on as well and my Topas looks about the same height and width wise and even smaller depth.
I wish I could travel so often, I love flying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.