Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Mini review: The Kozmicc 8.9 inch bag (day trips with your iPad mini)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I posted in another thread a few weeks ago about my search for an iPad Mini bag for a day trip. As I posted earlier, most of my day trips these days are more than met with my iPad mini with some additional accessories.

Specifically, my requirements were:
  • Must be able to comfortably hold my iPad mini enclosed in the incredibly productive logitech keyboard folio
  • Must also be able to include a small notepad
  • Must have an accessory pouch where I can store a charger, a cable, VGA-lightning adapter and a few more if the need be without stretching
  • Must, must, must have a handle
  • Must, must, must NOT have slack which flops around (happens if the bag is too big)

Well, after searching, I really came up with only two options:
Unfortunately, even though the basics bag was incredibly cool looking and for that price, stunning, I had to discard it because it's actually 12 inches (smallest size) and that's too much of slack with my iPad mini.

So this review is about the Kozmicc 8.9 inch bag

First off, if you are thinking of carrying anything besides the naked iPad Mini, please buy the 8.9 inch version and not the 7-8 inch version. I bought the 7-8 one first, and just fitting in the iPad Mini with the keyboard was a stretch. It was very hard to put in a notepad and also too much of stretch to put in the wires on top of it. So you've been warned. Get the 8.9 inch version.

Now onto the 8.9 inch:

It has a strongish neoprene smell when it arrives. Leave it open for a few days if it bothers you.

It very comfortably accommodates the following (you can add more small accessories into the pouch, including for example the amazing Kenu mount)

I made an error in the image below - its a stretch putting in the kind of faux-leather notepad the picture shows. A regular notepad goes in very easily including a moleskin pad.

Here is how the bag with everything above inside sizes up to a 13 inch laptop. Everything fits in perfectly, no pulling and stretching - easy slide in/out and no slacks around the corners that are large enough to flop/fold around

A look inside the accessory pouch:

Here is a look inside the bag. Note that it has a cheap looking plastic holder to hold cards. There are two such slots next to each other. Cards fit in easily, though I don't know how long it will last. I wish this was neoprene or some kind of cloth.

Here is a closer look at the handles and overall stitching. They decided stitching some additional velcro so the handles can be sealed together is a great idea. I think its unnecessary but it doesn't really do any harm. On the positive side, if you want to irritate someone, you can keep closing and opening the handle in front of them . The stitching looks fine to me and should be able to carry the weight of the stuff easily.

A closer look at the zips. Good zip teeth and nice soft rubber grips on the holders.

A final look at the bag, filled up and held up

Summary:

A good bag, just the right size. And its worth reminding - it's less than $10. What could be better than this bag? Possibly the amazon basics bag if they made it in this size but they don't. I wish the handles looked a little better but certainly very business presentable (unless you attend meetings where people start the conversation with, 'I say, I just bought the USS Starship Enterprise because I got bored of my private jets...')

Last edited by arjunrc; Jul 25, 2014 at 6:53 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Looks like a nice purse.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Augh. Never thought about that. Really?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Excel review & nice photos - I had the same impression when I read it yesterday, it does look a bit, urrrh, on the feminine side, not necessary a purse - maybe it's the color, LOL.

Anyway, I thought I'll share my EDC bag, which I started using again lately with warmer weather for use during the day & on weekend errands in town - when I sometimes ditched the (S) Timbuk2 Messenger Bag over the shoulder.

Made by STM for iPad carry, slim & low profile, excellent padding protection but not much room for lots of extra - but it's perfectly sized for 7" or 8" tablets like the "Mini" or my N7 & BT keyboard. All fit nicely & neatly in the bag, with room for other smaller items + a smartphone (and, room at the bottom for an extra pair of (reading) sun glasses. Limited lifetime warranty but a bit pricey - paid about $45 while on Sale via eBags, model has been updated with the "Link iPad Shoulder Bag" Also, have a look at the Scout 2 bag designed for iPad, they are oversized for an iPad Mini but might just be perfect with the spare room.

Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Double Auuugh
Thanks for the links to the other bags, I guess I'm going to have to search again. No wonder my wife gave it a long look when I was unpacking it...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:13 pm

I use this
http://www.sfbags.com/collections/ip...l-express-case

I'm a huge fan of their products. Expensive, but indestructible.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I use this
http://www.sfbags.com/collections/ip...l-express-case

I'm a huge fan of their products. Expensive, but indestructible.
It's beautiful. My only concern is it doesn't seem to have a handle - only a detachable strap. Is that correct?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by arjunrc
It's beautiful. My only concern is it doesn't seem to have a handle - only a detachable strap. Is that correct?
yes. Although you could fashion a handle as it has 2 D-rings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.