Which Briggs and Riley Bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I just posted some comments in a different thread on the U420XW (pre-CX version of the 20" wide body) and U119CX: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23226434-post17.html

Basically, I've gotten a few quizzical looks on the widebody when travelling domestically, but I've never been denied boarding it except on CRJs. You shouldn't worry about capacity - the widebody holds a TON and I will go for 10 days or more, with business clothes, using just that and a laptop bag.

If you're able to pack more compactly, the 19" will get no questions whatsoever in the US or abroad. You'll still need to pink tag on the CR2s for sure. I haven't been on a CR7 or CR9 with it yet, so I can't speak to those.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
I own the U122CX. I didn't get the widebody because it's usually too wide to easily roll down the aisle of most mainline domestic US jets. The size of the U122CX fits all domestic bins just fine wheels first, and despite what you might see in some reviews, it fits into all domestic bag sizers just fine.

YMMV - But I have never had any problems with this bag on any TPAC or TATL flights in terms of being told to check the bag. Carry it on no problem with all carriers - so far.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Just to update got the U122 CX-7. It fits perfectly into United sizer. When measuring bag its 22 inches from bottom of bag (including wheels to top of bag portion). If you include the handle it's a smidgeon longer. Width and depth exactly 14 x 9 inches. Tons of space, and suiter compartment and warranty way better than Tumi alpha 2 equivalent. Very happy with my purchase!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EvilTechie
im debating the same here
or even going with kirkland hybrid carryon so i can roll it sideways through the isle on the plane

so far for 2 wheels, U121CXW is the only one ive seen that fits exactly the dimensions dictated by DL, UA, AA

but having to gate check it on a CRJ or EMB would turn me off...
still debating here too

these airlines make it so hard to travel...
Sorry to correct you, but above is partially wrong. U121CXW is too wide for above airlines if they have a sizer. U122CXW fits perfectly. You're correct though, would still have to gate check both for smaller jets like CRJ.

Although since U121CXW is not as tall if no one hassles you to gate check it, it's more likely to fit into overhead compartment (just will take more left right room up if you put wheels or handles sticking out).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by inrapture
Sorry to correct you, but above is partially wrong. U121CXW is too wide for above airlines if they have a sizer. U122CXW fits perfectly. You're correct though, would still have to gate check both for smaller jets like CRJ.

Although since U121CXW is not as tall if no one hassles you to gate check it, it's more likely to fit into overhead compartment (just will take more left right room up if you put wheels or handles sticking out).
I have the U420XW (I believe the older version of the U121CXW), prior to the CX compression doodads.

It IS technically too wide for all the DL/AA/UA sizers, but I have never had an issue bringing it aboard or getting it into an overhead on a mainline jet. It does get valet checked along with all other rollers on RJs.

I just switched to the U119CX and there isn't even a question with that one. Haven't had the need (thank God) to try it on any RJs yet, but I imagine it would do fine on anything bigger than a CR2.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I really like the look of the B & R Torq line for carry-on. It still has the same guarantee as the Baseline.

I have a number of Baseline pieces and B & R have stood up to their guarantee more than once for me.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Okay so assuming I mostly travel international (don't have to worry about narrow aisles and EMBs/CRJs) I should just get the widebody?

Am not so sure about it being 2-wheeled though, feel more comfortable with 4.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by inrapture
Just to update got the U122 CX-7. It fits perfectly into United sizer. When measuring bag its 22 inches from bottom of bag (including wheels to top of bag portion). If you include the handle it's a smidgeon longer. Width and depth exactly 14 x 9 inches. Tons of space, and suiter compartment and warranty way better than Tumi alpha 2 equivalent. Very happy with my purchase!
That's good to hear. I actually went to a luggage store yesterday and measured the U122CX, and it measured ~23 inches high from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the bag. Compared to the Tumi Alpha 2 International, it was about an inch higher. Naturally, this has me concerned, and I held off on buying it.

I am even more confused because a number of people that have bought the bag have reported the same thing you did - that it measures 22 inches from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the bag. It doesn't seem like simple manufacturing inconsistency could lead to an inch difference, so I what's going on here.

Specifically, I'm worried about it fitting in the new United sizer - have you had any problems with this since you bought the back? I know B&R posted a photo of the U122CX fitting in the United sizer, but I am hoping for some real-world feedback. I have also heard rumors that the United sizer is actually an inch larger in all directions, so it's possible that the U122CX would fit in the sizer even if it were 23 inches tall.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

The wiki on this thread provides the real world size of the sizer.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1520594-new-united-carry-sizer-enforcement-policy-eff-1-march-2014-a.htmlxf
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elleana
Okay so assuming I mostly travel international (don't have to worry about narrow aisles and EMBs/CRJs) I should just get the widebody?

Am not so sure about it being 2-wheeled though, feel more comfortable with 4.
The 20" widebody has never let me down on an intl flight. I only have 2-wheeled (or zero wheeled) bags, but I personally can't stand the spinners. Just a personal preference. The 19" I've been using lately is perfect for US-domestic and is small enough that I often just pick it up by the side handle and carry it around.

For B&R, I have seen that the 4-wheeled versions have less internal space than their 2-wheeled counterparts, as the entire bottom of the bag must be raised to accommodate for the casters.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National EE, MileagePlus 1K, Chase UR
Originally Posted by gooselee
The 20" widebody has never let me down on an intl flight. I only have 2-wheeled (or zero wheeled) bags, but I personally can't stand the spinners. Just a personal preference. The 19" I've been using lately is perfect for US-domestic and is small enough that I often just pick it up by the side handle and carry it around.

For B&R, I have seen that the 4-wheeled versions have less internal space than their 2-wheeled counterparts, as the entire bottom of the bag must be raised to accommodate for the casters.
I am also looking for a B&R bag and am between the U122CX and U119CX. I need it to be the jack of all trades between US and Intl carriers, which means widebody is out. About how many days worth of clothes can you fit in your 19incher?

Id love the U122CX, but feel like the overall size is going to get me in trouble with most of the *A carriers abroad.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
Originally Posted by bdryden
I am also looking for a B&R bag and am between the U122CX and U119CX. I need it to be the jack of all trades between US and Intl carriers, which means widebody is out. About how many days worth of clothes can you fit in your 19incher?

Id love the U122CX, but feel like the overall size is going to get me in trouble with most of the *A carriers abroad.
I've been using the B&R 19 for the past 18 months for both domestic and international. It easily fits in the tiny overhead of the CRJ's is not expanded which I love. I typically pack 4 dress shift in a eagle creek, 2 pair of slacks wrapped around that and a small packing cube with undies / undershirts / socks. Nike Free's folded down tight with rubber bands at the bottom, toiletries along the side, gym shorts draped over the top and a lightweight Columbia rain jacket on top of that. All of this fits easily without expanding the bag at all. I can travel indefinitely with this set-up provided I am in at least the same hotel for two nights.

That said, I will eventually end up buying the 22" when STP has them on sale again. Don't need it but still want it...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by bdryden
It depends on the trip and time of year. Typically I can get 5 days worth of clothes into mine for a business trip. 5 shirts, 1 pair of trousers, rain jacket, extra pair of shoes, undergarments and toiletries. Reduce to 4 days if travelling in winter. Increase to 7 days if on a personal trip.

I travel with a maximum-sized personal item which gives me even more space. Either a VB403X or a 231X both of which are expandable. I haven't yet had to travel with just the U119X but suspect if I had to include my electronics and files I would probably only get 3 days out of it.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It depends on the trip and time of year. Typically I can get 5 days worth of clothes into mine for a business trip. 5 shirts, 1 pair of trousers, rain jacket, extra pair of shoes, undergarments and toiletries. Reduce to 4 days if travelling in winter. Increase to 7 days if on a personal trip.
This is exactly my experience with the U119, though if pushed I'm sure I could add a day to each of the above, especially if I use the CX system to smush everything down. As it is now, I don't have to compress things and still have a little wiggle room left over on 5-night business trips if I want to bring home a small gift or something.

I also travel with a laptop backpack in which I put my gym shorts, small toiletry kit, and one change of undergarments.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i have a crazy love affair with my BRX 19 and routinely travel out of it in Europe for 7-9 days at a time:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...119&sec=travel

i also own a victorinox and travelpro and haven't used either one in over a year since i got this bad boy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.