Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Ok, ok, --so what's it gonna be 21" or 22"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok, ok, --so what's it gonna be 21" or 22"?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:31 am

in that case I'll be specific with the airlines that made me weigh carry-ons. JAL, ANA, Korean, Asiana, Lufthansa, UA (from foreign airport), American (from foreign airport). So, there you have it. Specific info based on actual experience.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Or Alitalia which only allows 11 lbs.
Alitalia's weight limit is 8kg. or 17.6lbs.

http://www.alitalia.com/ca_en/Inform...gli/index.html
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc
You r kidding right? You can print an intl boarding pass online? Well come to think of it I think you can with a few airlines but I have a check in piece (longer traveling duration for intl) that has to be checked in. So in my case I have no choice.

On top of that you have to show the ticket counter your passport. How do you avoid that??? The ticketing agent must physically see your passport the last time I checked.

What are your segments? Where can you go internationally without showing your passport to the ticket counter? Especially when you are coming back to the states????
Air Canada, Icelandair, and a few others didn't require me to go to the check in counter, was able to go right through security with a pre-printed boarding pass and a passport.

That said, yesterday I flew Cathay Pacific from JFK to HKG and I did need to go to the counter. I was not asked to put my bag on the scale, the agent didn't even glance at it. She asked me if I was checking a bag, I said 'no', got my boarding pass, off I went.

Now that I'm a member of this forum and are tuned to these so-called sizer/weight issues, I looked at hundreds of bags and hundreds of passengers and there are so many that are overstuffed, oversized, hugely plump, any of us worrying about a spare inch here or there with our Tumi's or B&R's needn't worry. It's fun discussion forum fodder, nothing more.

BJ
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
I don't know why this topic ends up with so much nonsense being written.

Either you are going to talk about domestic airlines in the USA or you are going to talk about international flights and airlines. One or the other.

Either you are going to talk about 100% compliant or you are going to talk about less than 100% compliant. One or the other.

Either you are going to talk about weight limits in the discussion or you are going to talk only about dimensions. One or the other.

Instead, one person writes from one perspective and another answers from a different perspective. If you can't agree on what the question is, you will never agree on the answer.

Here is a list of facts, do with them what you will.

Some airlines weigh carry-on bags. Not debateable.
Some airlines have dimensions far different from the majority. Not debateable.
Some airlines have weight restrictions far different from the majority. Not debateable.
Some airlines are stricter about enforcing their carry-on restrictions than others. Not debateable.

When someone says, they had their carry-on weighed, there is no point in saying, 'what, I don't believe that happens, where did it happen, what airline, where did you print your boarding pass, etc.' The person saying it was weighed is not lying.

When someone says, 'I had to check my 20" bag', there is no point in saying, 'what, I've never heard of an airline with a limit less than 21.5"'. The person who says they had to check it is not lying.

I think the problem lies in people thinking they know about air travel and restrictions when in fact they only know about some airlines and restrictions and do not realize that there are quite big differences out there.

I think there is no point in discussing this unless you are going to talk about what it takes to be 100% compliant for all airlines that accept carry-on bags. Nor is there any real point in talking about dimensions and ignoring weight.

Otherwise, you have to accept that you will have to check each and every time you fly with an airline you have not flown with before to see if you meet their individual restrictions.

Alpenrose started this with, 'PLEEZE someone make up their minds'. There is an answer to that. Find the smallest size restrictions and lowest weight limit of any airline and go with those. That WILL meet all airline restrictions obviously.

The problem comes in when people don't WANT that answer, they want the answer they would LIKE to hear.

If you want to be able to go carry-on only on ALL airlines that allow carry-on, here is the answer. Dimensions 17x13x7, weight 6.6 lbs. Those are the restrictions for Air Tahiti. https://www.airtahiti.com/carryon-baggagei.

So what does that tell you? What it tells me is that asking this question and expecting to get an answer you can live with is never going to happen. What that tells me is that asking the question is pointless.

If you say, ok, let's not take the extreme, lets settle for 95% compliance. Then I would ask you, which airlines are you willing to leave out? El Al for example is 21x16x8 and 17 lbs. Note the 8", it isn't just the 29 or 21 vs. 22 you will just have to worry about meeting. Or Alitalia which only allows 11 lbs. So in fact you end up back at, you have to check each airline you intend to fly. That makes saying 95% a waste of time.
Please God, make it stop.

It's not about airlines, it's about aircraft. Get yourself a rolling carry on that is known to fit in all Airbus and Boeing aircraft, fitting in the United sizer is the benchmark, don't pack concrete bricks in it, and you'll be all set on 95% of the flights you take. Nothing more need be said. Though I know you'll say it because I know that the fifth-biggest airline in Botswana might be a problem and there's a gate agent in Moosejaw Saskatchewan who works every third Tuesday who doesn't like bald businessmen and there's always a chance that every blanket and pillow in Delta's inventory might wind up on a 757 to Algeria and...

BJ
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc
You r kidding right? You can print an intl boarding pass online? Well come to think of it I think you can with a few airlines but I have a check in piece (longer traveling duration for intl) that has to be checked in. So in my case I have no choice.

On top of that you have to show the ticket counter your passport. How do you avoid that??? The ticketing agent must physically see your passport the last time I checked.

What are your segments? Where can you go internationally without showing your passport to the ticket counter? Especially when you are coming back to the states????
Just a point about pre-printed boarding passes. If you’re checking a bag, you really can’t avoid the ticket counter. But let’s say you’re flying international with a carry-on (which I always do…I’m one of “those”). You can pre-print your boarding pass, or as I more often do, just have it on my phone. You can go through security and to your gate without having your passport checked. Once there, they will inevitably call you at the gate prior to boarding to check your documents. There’s no scale there and they never look at my carry on…after all, I made it through security so I “must” be compliant! Once there, you can ask for a printed boarding pass for both your current flight and your connection if you want one.

My method, I avoid the check in counter, go straight to the gate, don’t wait for them to call me and ask the gate agent for a “passport check”. This has worked in 40+ international flights to Asia, Europe, and Africa out of LAX and IAD.

Just for the record I have a Briggs & Riley spinner 22x14x9 and have yet to be asked to gate check.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Kleemo
Just a point about pre-printed boarding passes. If you’re checking a bag, you really can’t avoid the ticket counter. But let’s say you’re flying international with a carry-on (which I always do…I’m one of “those”). You can pre-print your boarding pass, or as I more often do, just have it on my phone. You can go through security and to your gate without having your passport checked. Once there, they will inevitably call you at the gate prior to boarding to check your documents. There’s no scale there and they never look at my carry on…after all, I made it through security so I “must” be compliant! Once there, you can ask for a printed boarding pass for both your current flight and your connection if you want one.

My method, I avoid the check in counter, go straight to the gate, don’t wait for them to call me and ask the gate agent for a “passport check”. This has worked in 40+ international flights to Asia, Europe, and Africa out of LAX and IAD.

Just for the record I have a Briggs & Riley spinner 22x14x9 and have yet to be asked to gate check.
This situation must depend on the airline. I've never had any luck receiving an electronic boarding pass flying on Emirates out of Los Angeles or Mexico City for instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.