Wiki Posts
Search

Best prices Rimowa and Rimowa advice requested

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them
Best prices Rimowa and Rimowa advice requested

Apologies if this has been done but I didn't see it... I go to Europe and Asia with some regularity and am going to have to check luggage more often in the future since I will be a) going routinely longer and b) carrying suits. I am a big Red Ox fan and usually just carry that and (don't flame me) a Saddleback attache of varying size--- sure it is heavy, but I like it.

Anyway I am looking at picking up the largest rolling Rimowa that will fit OH along with a (probably matching?) large checked bag. I am inclined to buy the aluminum versions unless someone can explain why the plastic is better.

Finally, I would like the best deal I can reasonably get (altmanluggage.com is my starting point).

Thanks very much for your help.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

OK, I have now searched some older posts. Some are really out of date and the German sellers no longer even carry Rimowa. But Koffer24.de carries the whole line but will not ship to the US. Anyone know a german site that will? I can save like 950$ for the 2 items I wanted compared to buying in the US>>>

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:05 am

Shipping from Europe seems to be the problem. Since you travel to Europe frequently, why not just wait until your next trip there? Get it shipped to your hotel and claim VAT when you leave Europe and/or seem them live in a department store.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by fracmeister
Apologies if this has been done but I didn't see it... I go to Europe and Asia with some regularity and am going to have to check luggage more often in the future since I will be a) going routinely longer and b) carrying suits. I am a big Red Ox fan and usually just carry that and (don't flame me) a Saddleback attache of varying size--- sure it is heavy, but I like it.

Anyway I am looking at picking up the largest rolling Rimowa that will fit OH along with a (probably matching?) large checked bag. I am inclined to buy the aluminum versions unless someone can explain why the plastic is better.

Finally, I would like the best deal I can reasonably get (altmanluggage.com is my starting point).

Thanks very much for your help.
Please read my post : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22697146-post49.html

for reasons not to buy a Rimowa.

I got mine at a little shop in Haarlem, Netherlands where the shop owner gave me 20% discount and I got the full 19% VAT back too - but it takes a few months for that to happen as they're not used to VAT returns. You have to bring receipt to airport and get it stamped by customs and then return the receipt.

I will discourage you from getting the aluminium one. It looks nice but very easily damaged. And they are not bomb proof by any means. The case gets banged up easily and after that , the bag will not close properly.

If you're getting a plastic one - get another brand. I just feel that the plastic ones that Rimowa sells are way over priced.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 13, 2014 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Koffer-Direkt still ships to the US. One person said they had a bad experience, but dozens of us have had no problem at all.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:59 pm

Hi Fracmeister-

Megn shares my thoughts exactly regarding your question: Do your homework on the best model to suit your needs, and then wait until your next trip to Europe for the best deal on the Rimowa case you want. Unless you wish to shop around when there, it is best to call ahead and have the item ready for you when you arrive.

Lufthansa World Shops stores now offer a service to meet you with your new luggage purchase inside certain German air terminals for a nominal charge. If you are on a tight connection or business schedule, that makes excellent sense, and saves you time running around in a new an unfamiliar airport like FRA or MUC.

Rimowa luggage cases are carried by many stores, and not just in Germany. Your VAT% rebate on your Rimowa purchase is in available in any EU country. You could for example, buy one in Germany and process the VAT rebate exiting in Italy. The Rimowa luggage models available from Lufthansa World shops are in addition to the Rimowa stores throughout Europe.

On the subject of the largest Rimowa case for carry-on, that might be a US 29" or 32, " or it might be neither, depending upon the airline you regularly choose to fly on, and what class you ticket on.

I realize it is colloquial American to call a travel luggage case a "bag or bags" ( perhaps in the time of the Carpetbaggers at least ), but if you treat your carry-on luggage as just bags, or allow them to be treated as bags (thrown around roughly, or jammed into overhead cabinets, and taxis, etc. ), they are very likely to be damaged. Contrary to popular belief and a few advertsiements, we do not drag our luggage over cobblestone streets as a rule until they fall apart. We do responsibly care and repair them when needed, before, or after the warranty expires.

Frankly, nothing is 100% indestructible or bombproof in case manufacturing, including Pelikan cases, having experienced a broken handle on a 20year old Pelikan case in 2011. We refer to Rimowa Koffern here as luggage cases, alu or polycarbonate, and treat them as a light-weight luggage investment to last. All of my Rimowa alu items are still used, with only an torqued attaché being repaired once 13 years ago. If you take care of your luggage case, it will last you.

They will as lightweight alu metal, dent and scratch, but they can be repaired if needed.

Last edited by Swissaire; Apr 13, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Please read my post : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22697146-post49.html for reasons not to buy a Rimowa.
OP is located in HK, that might explain the continued interest....
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:20 pm

I love my Rimowa bag. I even named him, his name is Oscar.

Like his owner, Oscar aspires to travel well.

I second not buying the aluminum model. Go plastic. Rimowa uses a high quality polycarbonate.

I had no problems buying stuff from Koffer Direct, including accessories, such as inserts for "Oscar"

I bought "Oscar" at the Rimowa store in Koln. The prices available on Koffer Direct are available from any retailer in Germany, for the most part. Discounts available if you pay cash, and savings can be had if you get the VAT back. Note you will get some of the MWSF ( VAT) back, but not all.

Last edited by meFIRST; Apr 13, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

I went to koffer-direkt.de and if you attempt to put one in your cart and check out---well, that doesnt work as you get the "don't ship to your country" bit.

BUT! if you just click on "pay with paypal" it bypasses all that bit and ships to your paypal shipping address (!) I got my DHL Paket confirmation numbers already. So there are indeed multiple options on feline epidermal removal.

Thanks for the input. Some have cautioned against the Al. I am nonetheless going to go with the Topas Stealth (the black aluminum versions) and give them a go. But I am not giving away the Red Oxx!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire
Hi Fracmeister-

I realize colloquial American to call a travel luggage case a "bag or bags" ( perhaps in the time of the Carpetbaggers at least ), but if you treat your carry-on luggage as just bags, or allow them to be treated as bags (thrown around roughly, or jammed into overhead cabinets, and taxis, etc. ), they are very likely to be damaged. Contrary to popular belief and a few advertsiements, we do not drag our luggage over cobblestone streets as a rule until they fall apart. We do responsibly care and repair them when needed, before, or after the warranty expires.
"it is colloquial American to call a travel luggage case a "bag or bags"( perhaps in the time of the Carpetbaggers at least )"

I call whatever I want. I don't see the problem there. You got a problem with that?

"Contrary to popular belief and a few advertsiements, we do not drag our luggage over cobblestone streets as a rule until they fall apart. We do responsibly care and repair them when needed, before, or after the warranty expires."

Again, I do whatever I want to do to my BAGS. I treat my BAG as a BAG. It just a tool to me! I don't care. If it is broken I will buy another one. I can throw it whenever I want and I can trash it whenever I want !

You can repair or take care your LUGGAGE by your way that's fine. You don't need to judge on how people utilize their BAGS. After all it is still a piece of TOOL.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:18 pm

I rest my case.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

SO far it appears that the paypal approach is working as my DHL Paket tracking shows them out the door and being shipped. I will post the results on arrival. Thanks for all of your comments...even the advice I decided not to follow.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire

Frankly, nothing is 100% indestructible or bombproof in case manufacturing, including Pelikan cases, having experienced a broken handle on a 20year old Pelikan case in 2011. We refer to Rimowa Koffern here as luggage cases, alu or polycarbonate, and treat them as a light-weight luggage investment to last. All of my Rimowa alu items are still used, with only an torqued attaché being repaired once 13 years ago. If you take care of your luggage case, it will last you.

They will as lightweight alu metal, dent and scratch, but they can be repaired if needed.

Also one should not underestimate the beauty of these bags. Oscar (my Rimowa bag) is the often the most handsome thing to come off the luggage conveyer belt. A thrill to see! Can a cheap bag ugly bag give you the same satisfaction?

Mind you he is starting to get dented in a few places, but i know that the folks at Rimowa can fix it.

Yes, its pricey at the end of the day the rule holds true : You get what you pay for.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Second one (Topas Stealth 77) arrived today---way after the kabine bag but in time for the first big trip.
Old May 16, 2014, 3:01 pm

Hi Fracmeister -

Good to hear !

Enjoy the trip and your new luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.