Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

I Dont Understand The Problems With Carryon Sizes. I'm Never Hassled. Luck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Dont Understand The Problems With Carryon Sizes. I'm Never Hassled. Luck?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
It definitely isn't a roller bag issue, as I've travelled exclusively with roller bags for the past decade or so (but always ones small enough to fit any sizer I've ever used).
Well, you've just explained why. Because you fit in the sizer.

Wheelie bags are absolutely more prone to interest, it's psychology 101. When my wife and I travel, her roller gets tagged for gate check almost every time, while my backpack never has while sitting side by side on the floor, and the backpack is significantly thicker.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I'm petite and usually travel with a semi-large backpack (but under regulation) and a purse. I've only been hassled a handful of times - most of which were because I also had a laptop out when boarding - which gets a half-hearted "can you put the laptop in one of your bags?" However, the reps in LAX (AA) and SFO (UA) before security will have none of that, even when I point out I need to put the laptop back out for security in 50 feet.

US Airways used to be especially bad about hassling travelers and claiming the overhead bins were full halfway through the boarding process - only to have people board and discover the bins were mostly empty.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Mostly the lack if wheels. They're a red flag. I have had a non-wheeled bag ordered into the sizer once, at LHR. But generally no wheels really minimizes the problems.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by travelingpossum
I travel for work every week regularly and for the longest time it's been a large backpack such as the Tom Bihn Brainbag, stuffed to the gills, and a RedOxx AirBoss, also stuffed to the gills, both to the point where the zippers barely close. On top of that, I sneak in a very small third bag, probably around 500 cubic inches like a mini drawstring gym bag.

I travel like this for several reasons:

1) Since I'm away from home 80% of my life, I like to bring extra things with me while I travel.

2) I don't mind the extra weight and hassle of moving things around to give me greater options for "stuff" for use during 80% of my life.

3) I'm usually crunched for time and never pack my stuff correctly on the way back and wind up smooshing things together in a suboptimal way which compounds the issue.

4) My client pays for food so I usually pull out the drawstring gym bag and get some extra food to eat on the plane due to dietary restrictions that keep me from eating most airport food.

I've never once been hassled by a GA. In fact, not only have I not been hassled, the reverse has been the case. On several occasions I've asked the GA for a gate check tag and they wouldn't give me one because they said I could fit my AirBoss in the overhead. No F-ing way, not even close because I've tried many times when it's stuffed to the gills to fit in a CRJ regional. On a few occasions, the GA made me physically attempt to load it before they would give me a tag and let me gate check it.

I'm writing this post because I'm really shocked by people on here nitpicking about a new bag they want that is 0.5" longer than the requirement and other minor things.

My best guess is that I'm not hassled purely because I don't have wheels on any of my stuff so it looks smaller when I'm carrying it on the plane. Quite literally, my Airboss fits perfectly in the overhead of a full-size jet and the Tom Bin Brainbag needs to be lubed up to stuff under the seat in front of me. There's no way that should qualify as a personal item based on the specs I've seen posted online, however it does fit under the seat and what I do during travel is put it under my knees, clearing the space in the seat in front of me for my feet and I don't even notice the Brainbag at all because there would be deadspace under my knees if I was sitting regularly.

I should also note that I dress poorly when I fly. I change into business clothes at the hotel before the client visit and dress in sweatpants and a T-shirt usually, so it's not likely the GA are letting me slide due to looking professional.

I've been thinking of switching to a roller board recently and if it's going to cause me hassles (such as the GA then deciding to measure my BrainBag pack to make sure it qualifies under the personal item provision sizing, which it won't), then maybe I won't.

Am I the only lucky one? Is it true that GAs hassle people or is it just a myth that keeps spreading? My experience has been pure apathy on the part of everyone involved in the entire flying experience. TSA do half-"butt" putdowns on me and seem to not care about it at all. The flight attendants almost never ask me to remove my headphones when I'm listening to music during takeoff (for several years, before the recent changes). Maybe 1 out of 50 flights the flight attendant would ask me to remove it. Heck, on my flight last week, we were supposed to turn off our iPads because that airline hadn't approved it yet, and the flight attendants said over the PA, "you must turn off all electronic devices now, but it's on the honor system, we won't be coming around."

It quite literally seems like no one cares about anything when I travel. I find it hard to believe that 1/2" of a carryon is causing people problems. Please share your experiences on being lucky or unlucky or maybe skillful with this regard. Maybe it's only at certain airports? Certain airlines? Against certain types of people who have certain types of carryons? Certain flight paths that are more full?

you likely have some sort of elevated status on your airline of choice, so you will probably not get questioned when you board with the other 'elites'. most here probably have the same luxury.

when i have to fly an airline other than my preferred airline and i do not have status, i find that GAs are usually more vigilant about scoping out potentially oversized bags or a small "third bag". status allows most to skate by, but when they're lunped in with everyone else, it reminds them of how the other half lives .

i recently downsized my rollaboard from 22" to 20", mostly because of a couple of run-ins i had with GAs on international flights (plus a wheel was getting wonky and i didn't want to risk losing it on the road). i found that i can fit exactly the same amount of stuff into my new bag as i did into the old bag.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:37 am

Most of my flying is in the Asia Pacific region where it seems weight is more of an issue than size. Enforcement is not consistent, but it's regular enough to be a pain if you don't comply.

In one country it's not uncommon for everyone's carryon to be weighed at the gate with excessively heavy ones being gate checked (I've seen this on more than one airline).

Allowable weights range from 5kg to 10kg. At those limits, a large bag is fairly pointless, unless your packing feathers I have a couple of different size bags, that weigh 500g and 800g, in order to maximise what I can carry.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:43 am

Agreed. 10 kilos/22 lbs seems to be limit for me whenever my point of departure is outside the U.S.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:07 pm

The OP uses interesting bags for travel. The Tom Bihn Brainbag is listed at 2200 cubic inches while the Sky Train comes in at 2184 cubic inches. Combined this is bigger then Briggs and Riley 24 inch Transcend at 4337 cubic inches. I know if can pack over 50 pounds in my 25 inch Eagle Creek bag without overstuffing it so I am going to assume if as he says he over packs each he is carrying a good amount of weight on his shoulders and or back.

Airline guidelines for personal bag size can be very vague but a couple of airlines do have an actual size limits. AA and United both have a 36 liner inch limitation but all say that your personal bag must fit underneath the seat.

Shak
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shak51
The OP uses interesting bags for travel. The Tom Bihn Brainbag is listed at 2200 cubic inches while the Sky Train comes in at 2184 cubic inches. Combined this is bigger then Briggs and Riley 24 inch Transcend at 4337 cubic inches. I know if can pack over 50 pounds in my 25 inch Eagle Creek bag without overstuffing it so I am going to assume if as he says he over packs each he is carrying a good amount of weight on his shoulders and or back.

Airline guidelines for personal bag size can be very vague but a couple of airlines do have an actual size limits. AA and United both have a 36 liner inch limitation but all say that your personal bag must fit underneath the seat.

Shak
My BrainBag, even when fully stuffed, fits underneath the seats in front of me.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:37 am

This thread is a complete mystery to me as I have been traveling hardcore for 20+ years in dozens of airports and scores of aircraft and have never been prevented from rolling my carry on onboard except under two conditions:

1. Late connection, last one onboard, all overhead space spoken for.

2. Small commuter jet, everyone checks gate side.

I have never even seen anyone asked to slip a bag into a sizer, usually the gates are so busy they barely have the bandwidth to do anything more than get everyone onboard.

The only people I see rejected are those who are trying to game the system and bring extra bags onboard, the people who abuse the "small personal item" process and bring a bag so stuffed it won't fit in the overhead either. For the typical person with a roller bought from a reputable brand and an average brief or backpack, there is no anxiety about luggage dimensions or weight. We just get on and go.

The OP hasn't been "lucky", he just hasn't been abusive, not trying to play the game of getting checked-bag contents squeezed into carry on's and personal bags.

BJ
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by boltjames
This thread is a complete mystery to me as I have been traveling hardcore for 20+ years in dozens of airports and scores of aircraft and have never been prevented from rolling my carry on onboard except under two conditions:

1. Late connection, last one onboard, all overhead space spoken for.

2. Small commuter jet, everyone checks gate side.

I have never even seen anyone asked to slip a bag into a sizer, usually the gates are so busy they barely have the bandwidth to do anything more than get everyone onboard.

The only people I see rejected are those who are trying to game the system and bring extra bags onboard, the people who abuse the "small personal item" process and bring a bag so stuffed it won't fit in the overhead either. For the typical person with a roller bought from a reputable brand and an average brief or backpack, there is no anxiety about luggage dimensions or weight. We just get on and go.

The OP hasn't been "lucky", he just hasn't been abusive, not trying to play the game of getting checked-bag contents squeezed into carry on's and personal bags.

BJ
You've been lucky too it seems.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Never hassled on Delta and my carry-on is huge. Used to fly about every month until recently, now every 2-3 months.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:22 am

docmoney, are you putting the sideways in the bin, then?

Last edited by Mellonc; Feb 21, 2014 at 5:04 pm
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:24 am

travelingpossum, where are you stowing your third small bag?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by boltjames
You hit the nail on the head: It's an over-reaction to a non-existent problem in the US. Not sure why, but there are a few posters who are making this seem like an epidemic. Its peculiar.
BJ
non-existent? superlatives are likely to get one in trouble in life.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by envgeo
non-existent? superlatives are likely to get one in trouble in life.
I am incredibly successful and wealthy, so far so good.

BJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.