Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparison table of soft, non-wheeled carry on bags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Gadgetfreak:

I saw a Hartmann Ultimate Carryon http://www.hartmann.com/Hartmann-Pac.../dp/B009EU3D8I in a outlet store the other day and it remixed me of some of the pictures I have seen of the BR235x on the internet. How would you compare the usability of that form factor vs. the Air Boss or the Skytrain?

I haven't gotten to handle a Red Oxx product in person yet, but I would say the Hartmann, while pretty, did not appear to have the same degree of ruggedness as the Briggs & Riley computer backpack or Tumi Laptop brief that I have loved traveling with over the years let alone the Red Oxx products.

Any helpful suggestions?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:56 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I have the Aeronaut and absolutely love it. It can easily fit a week's worth of stuff. It has a pretty cavernous compartment, so I imagine it works better for leisure travel. The Red ox might be better if carrying a suit, although I have packed a suit in the Aeronaut. Using it with the Tom Bihn packing cubes works really well. I've used the backpack straps on it and they work well.
Its a really well thought out versatile bag.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Using a phrase I found on another post here I think I am getting 'analysis paralysis'
The more I look the more I come back to the EC Adventure Weekender. It seems to have an unbeatable combination of capacity, price and guarantee for someone who does not fly constantly. Also it usefully fits the EC packing cubes I already own.

The only downside is that it seems not to be sold outside the US, so I will have to have it shipped. Zappos have a deal on the black model at the moment, but I did really prefer the green and its nice tan interior. My second choice in that price range is the Patagonia MLC but I really prefer the full zip cover of one side of the inner compartment of the EC. Also, the MLC seems to be regularly marked down as the small exterior pocket does not have a full length zip. That does seem quite an annoyance, and not an issue with the EC.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by nickb99
TBH I ignored this company due to their lame web presence (www.meipacks.com). There is only the bare minimum of product information and I was unwilling to rely on external reviews in case the bag specs had changed. Given the amount of quality alternatives that were much easier to research and buy (especially from overseas) I just crossed them off the list.
The Voyageur is comparable to any of the bags in the first post. It's unfortunate you appear to have an agenda against MEI. I've used their bag extensively, switching between it and the Air Boss as the trip requirements dictate.

MEI Voyageur 22x14x9" 3.5lbs $136 3000 cu in
MEI Convertible 22x13x9" 2.75lbs $100 2750 cu in
MEI Executive Overniter 22x14x9" 3.75lbs $195 2770 cu in
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Its unfortunate you think I have an agenda against MEI Lurker1999. Rather, its just as I explained above. I'm reliant on web info because I'm buying from overseas and the MEI site has hardly any. In addition, at 22" they are outside the maximum carry on length for several of the budget European carriers. I'm sure MEI make fine bags but neither the bags nor the company meet my requirements.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by nickb99
Its unfortunate you think I have an agenda against MEI Lurker1999. Rather, its just as I explained above. I'm reliant on web info because I'm buying from overseas and the MEI site has hardly any. In addition, at 22" they are outside the maximum carry on length for several of the budget European carriers. I'm sure MEI make fine bags but neither the bags nor the company meet my requirements.
You can ask MEI to alter the size to fit your exact requirements.

Although it appears the web information is scant, it is not the only source that an overseas buyer need rely on. A short email will get a response and is hardly more effort than searching for reviews. Also, what is the information you need? The sizes are given, there are any number of reviews out there, lots of photos on their FB page. There is also a Europe-based reseller for Voyageur packs in the UK http://meivoyageur.co.uk which has good information.

I have no affiliation with these companies, but I think too many like you, miss out due to the low key web presence.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

>>I think too many like you, miss out due to the low key web presence

Agreed. What would the bag weigh at the dimensions I want? Is there an additional cost for a non-standard size? What does the inside of a MEI convertible look like? What colour is the interior? How does it fold out?

I did do a bunch of searching and review reading but there is not as much out there as I would like. And, at a certain point, I kind of think why should I bother? I was always taught that 'make it easy for the customer to buy' was a cardinal rule to follow.

The question then was, why bother hunting around for information on a particular bag, within reviews that are often several years out of date, when I can go on a site like EC or Red Ox and get all the up to date information, pictures of the bag from every angle plus maybe even a video? Companies that make an effort are much more likely to get my business.

I'm guessing that MEI likes the business they have and are satisfied with their web presence. If so, good for them, but its not for me.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
We did discuss carryon backpacks before -- I recommend this be made into a wiki so we can add to it. For example, the eBags MotherLode is popular, the 5.11 Rush 72 has its own advantages etc.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:54 am
Original Poster

I was not looking for a backpack really - more of a soft, rectangular and reasonably smart bag, but many turned out to have straps. The Timbuk2 Wingman, for example, was getting just a little too casual for me.
I like the idea of straps but wonder, practically, how often I would use them. If the bag is to be used for holiday travel, sure, I get that, but for normal business travel I think something with a shoulder strap and handles would be fine.
The more I read about this stuff the more interesting it gets. Perhaps a bag could be had with leave-at-home straps? Or made custom? Now that would be cool
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
You forgot the cabin zero bags
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYTA
You forgot the cabin zero bags
Thanks for the comment. I did not forget them so much as discount them. I found a few comments online questioning the quality. I have a hard time believing that a $60 bag would last very long. I am trying to buy more sustainably these days, that is buy stuff that lasts. So would rather pay more and have the pleasure of using a quality product for many years. Some people I know are happy to buy budget and simply replace every year, but I really don't want to do that any more.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I haven't had mine long and after using it decided I'm too old for carrying stuff on
my back but thought the quality was fine and it was a good value for money. I think they offer a very long warranty as well.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:22 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
EC Adventure Weekender.

I'm currently on a 3-week trip and using the EC Adventure Weekender.

The bag does have a certain amount of give and does spread when packed full. While the dimensions say 8" depth, my fully packed bag measures 9"+ without contents in the front exterior pockets. I'm sure the pull of the backpack straps in that same direction is not helping the cause.

I mainly bought this bag for the backpack straps and the horizontal (non-school bag-like) orientation, but have yet to get used to packing in a bag that opens like a book. I've been using 35-40L (approximately 22 x 14 x 9) single-compartment suitcase/pullman style bags for ages and have gotten used to packing for those types of bags so right now I'm relearning how to pack for this bag.

What I do love about the bag is that all the compartments, including the interior, have double zippers and are lockable. The backpack straps are padded, contoured and reasonably comfortable for the walk to the rental car or through a large airport. I would not use this as a backpack or travel pack for extended carrying.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYTA
I haven't had mine long and after using it decided I'm too old for carrying stuff on
my back but thought the quality was fine and it was a good value for money. I think they offer a very long warranty as well.
Yep, its ten years and they extend that to 25 if you like them on Facebook. Honestly, I found that a little weird - almost like a bribe. Its good to hear from a real user that the quality is good though.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
I'm currently on a 3-week trip and using the EC Adventure Weekender...
Thanks for the detailed comments, very much appreciated. I was swaying towards an Air Boss just because of the quality but on paper the ECAW is clearly the smarter purchase. I don't travel enough to justify the AB.
Which colour did you go for? I'm kinda bored with black bags and like the look of the light brown interior on the olive version. I just saw some high res images of the ECAW on the Zappo's site and the green looked great close up.

The other aspect of the ECAW that appeals is the multi slot front pocket with the various small holders for phone, pens, keys etc. The AB just has a large empty pocket which does not seem as useful, items will rattle around etc. So given I keep returning to this bag I think I will just have to stop prevaricating and pull the trigger on it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.