Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of wallet do you use ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by cl.lurker
A money clip.
I find money clips to be a bit small. I prefer a simple no-fold wallet with about 6 card slots. I really need a new one though and am struggling to find it...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:50 pm
Suspended

My old wallet was wearing out and I was intrigued by the Bellroy website. I purchased the Hide and Seek and the Travel Wallet.

These are good quality leather wallets. The workmanship and materials are above average. They do have "pointy" corners which will cause holes in your pants (I know from bitter experience although NOT with Bellroy).

I take issue with Bellroy seeming to imply that their wallet design will result in your debulking your wallet. What Bellroy has done is to make wallets with fewer features (slots, etc.) and lower capacity and claim that it has decreased the overall bulk of your wallet. The claim is not false. What I want to make clear is that you might be able to achieve a similar debulk by removing half the items in your wallet which is what converting to the Hide and Seek required me to do.

I had to reduce the number of cards etc. I carry to the point that I also carried some in my pocket with a band and I had a money clip. So, I'm juggling around cards, cash, and a small Bellroy wallet.

For me, the Bellroy Hide and Seek does not work. I am back to a Tumi billfold. The Travel Wallet is meh. It holds a passport and maybe about 6 other cards. If that's enough for you, it will work for you. However, in my experience with two products, their design does not really compact your cards, cash, etc. It forces you to carry less. If that is your goal, it is a fine product. If you have a fair amount to carry around, you may find, like me, that you have to use more than one carry device (the Bellroy, a band, and a money clip). I would rather keep track of one thing (a full size wallet).

May the buyer beware.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:46 am

Been using a Smart Money Clip since college and have never desired anything else. Makes me laugh when I see men have to take out their wallets to sit down. I only carry 2 CCs, 1 DC, Lic and metro card so the 5 card limit doesn't bother me. Realized you asked for 10 card capacity but figured i'd throw it out there anyway just in case.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: CX Gold
I've the same Montblanc wallet for more than 10 years. 8 CC + banknotes. Very happy with it.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:14 am

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of review I wanted to read. I've watched many youtube videos on Bellroy and while it seems to be a good wallet, I've been confused on whether this wallet really is as thin as it could be in leather
- and I've always walked away thinking that is not their focus. You've saved me $100 or more :-)

Originally Posted by Flubber2012
My old wallet was wearing out and I was intrigued by the Bellroy website. I purchased the Hide and Seek and the Travel Wallet.

These are good quality leather wallets. The workmanship and materials are above average. They do have "pointy" corners which will cause holes in your pants (I know from bitter experience although NOT with Bellroy).

I take issue with Bellroy seeming to imply that their wallet design will result in your debulking your wallet. What Bellroy has done is to make wallets with fewer features (slots, etc.) and lower capacity and claim that it has decreased the overall bulk of your wallet. The claim is not false. What I want to make clear is that you might be able to achieve a similar debulk by removing half the items in your wallet which is what converting to the Hide and Seek required me to do.

I had to reduce the number of cards etc. I carry to the point that I also carried some in my pocket with a band and I had a money clip. So, I'm juggling around cards, cash, and a small Bellroy wallet.

For me, the Bellroy Hide and Seek does not work. I am back to a Tumi billfold. The Travel Wallet is meh. It holds a passport and maybe about 6 other cards. If that's enough for you, it will work for you. However, in my experience with two products, their design does not really compact your cards, cash, etc. It forces you to carry less. If that is your goal, it is a fine product. If you have a fair amount to carry around, you may find, like me, that you have to use more than one carry device (the Bellroy, a band, and a money clip). I would rather keep track of one thing (a full size wallet).

May the buyer beware.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Have not had a wallet since dropping out of high school 40+ years ago.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:16 pm

When traveling, I use a card case for my credit cards. I put some cash cash in the pocket of the combination purse/pocketbook that I'm using.
The bulk of my money goes into my money belt. I also put copies of my CCs and passport (in a ziplock bag) in there as well.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: United 1K
I used to have a LV Monogram. I liked it since it was a simple billfold and thin
Now I have a Coach billfold. Has 6 slots and is thin as well
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:02 am

Valextra - this is the closest current iteration to what I have:

http://www.mrporter.com/product/337934
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by thelark
Valextra - this is the closest current iteration to what I have:

http://www.mrporter.com/product/337934
Wow, I haven't seen a wallet with the metal money clip at the fold in many a year. I had a few like that when I was a kid (in the early 1980s) and had just started carrying a wallet, probably because my Dad preferred that type in those days.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:50 am

mine doesn't have the clip and has 2 larger slots for cards that load vertically. I fold my cash in half on one half. The overall dimensions are smaller while still being rather slim. Too bad they don't make it anymore.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:26 pm

I use a money clip. Will hold securely! But before, I use a separate usual wallet and a leather business card holder wherein I outgrew and opted to go for one that can hold everything!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Any RFID wallets that don't set off the metal detectors? Seems ones i've bought alarm. Id rather not have to remove from my pocket
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: US Airways DM- Silver
I switched over to a 'Big Skinny' wallet and I have noticed the difference in size. It's not 100% leather, as they use microfiber on the inside to make it actually skinny. I'd say that my Big Skinny wallet is 1/2 to 2/3 thinner than my previous Coach wallet. Outside leather is nice, not as nice as the Coach one- but my back and butt are thanking me.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:41 pm

Similar model although nothing on a chain. have a very thin bi fold in which I carry my license, amex, check card and local cash. Larger wallet which i keep in my bag for other currency, green card, travel cards, yada yada. Only way to keep everything with me but also not have to lug around a massive wallet in my pocket.

Originally Posted by Shak51
When traveling I carry two wallets. I like pacsafe wallet on a chain. I believe the chain makes it harder to steal and less likely to lose accidentally. I carry this in my front pocket and the chain is barely visible secured to my belt. My smaller "just in case in wallet" is canceled in the hidden pocket on my Tilley Endurable pants. For this wallet I have a Rogue front pocket wallet with RFID shield.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Wallet.../dp/B000PE0IJY

http://www.rogue-industries.com/coll...lletguard-rfid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.