Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Watches

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by docmoney
Filmbuff, I wore my newly-acquired Omega when I went to see Skyfall... Wearing a James Bond watch did make the movie going experience more special
nice to hear that things clicked for you.

off-topic, but i thought Skyfall was way overhyped (those people who gave it high marks must have been watching a different movie than what i saw) and i was disappointed with many parts of the movie. one of the few nice points was seeing the DB5 again.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by docmoney
Filmbuff, I wore my newly-acquired Omega when I went to see Skyfall... Wearing a James Bond watch did make the movie going experience more special
I did the same, wore my Seamaster 300m in "Bond Blue" to Skyfall. Proud to be a Bond geek.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Agree, Skyfall was not as good as I expected. I keep going back to the oldies. Roger Moore has been growing on me, now rivaling Sean Connery in my book.

Thomps - one day maybe one of us can drive an Aston to a Bond film
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:55 pm

I'm a vintage watch guy -

I usually wear a 1960s Omega Constellation "C" or a 1960s Omega Seamaster

I've been keeping my eye on the IWC Portofino, Aquatimer and Omega James Bond watch for quite some time...
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
That Omega is bad ....
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
The Astron is supposedly the only watch that correctly adjusts to ALL timezones in the world. I haven't seen or tried it, though.
It does adjust to global time zones - speaking from personal experience. Just haven't tried everyone yet.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Timex Expedition, really easy to reset time zones, two time zones displays, and has 24-hour display. I have another cheap Timex with an analog compass for figuring out what direction I'm going when exiting subways. All my watches put together probably are worth about $150.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Filmbuff
...my preferred travel watch is a Citizen eco-drive Attesa...
Is that available in the U.S.? Any reputable online stores (or brick and mortar) that you recommend?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
meccaniche veloci quattro valvole. Titanium case, leather strap, sapphire faces. No batteries or solar; all mechanical automatic.

Over two years since I bought it new. All four movements keep excellent time. Simple to set each time zone; and the independent movements mean I can keep a time zone for India, Newfoundland, or Adelaide. I cannot comphrehend how to read the additional timezones on those GMT watches.

Because it is an obscure brand, I don't worry about theft. I am very disciplined about stowing it in a secure place before going through airport security, putting it back on after waking from bed, etc.

I expect it to be the last watch I wear until I am too old to travel.

My watch's strap differs from the image; the stiching is the same color as the leather.

Last edited by mre5765; Jul 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Is that available in the U.S.? Any reputable online stores (or brick and mortar) that you recommend?
unfortunately, that specific Attesa model has been out of production for a number of years now. if you're patient or lucky, second-hand or NOS pieces can turn up on buy/sell forums, ebay, etc.

the pic in my post is the ATV53-2834 (limited run of 3000 units); i have and prefer the ATV53-2833 which differs from the 2834 where the red accents were replaced with white and the hands are partly skeletonized. you can find pics of either model if you search on the model #. both were JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) pieces that were primarily only sold in Japan and select Asian countries.

i've bought my JDM pieces from two very reputable sellers in Japan who are well-known in the watch community:

www.higuchi-inc.com
www.seiyajapan.com

Seiya is having some health issues and is currently unavailable. Higuchi is a brick-n-mortar store.

here in the US, Arizona Fine Time is an Citizen & Seiko authorized dealer who might be able help. (i've never had any dealings with them but they are active sponsors on WatchuSeek which is one of the more popular watch enthusiast sites.)

the last Attesa model with a similar dial layout is the ATV53-3023 (JDM i think) and the Skyhawk line which is readily available in the US. imo, the latter are much busier looking models since they have a slide-rule bezel.

hope this helps...

[edit] there was an ATV53-2832 version as well.
sea_jeff likes this.

Last edited by Filmbuff; Jul 23, 2013 at 9:41 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
unfortunately, that specific Attesa model has been out of production for a number of years now. if you're patient or lucky, second-hand or NOS pieces can turn up on buy/sell forums, ebay, etc.

the pic in my post is the ATV53-2834 (limited run of 3000 units); i have and prefer the ATV53-2833 which differs from the 2834 where the red accents were replaced with white and the hands are partly skeletonized. you can find pics of either model if you search on the model #. both were JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) pieces that were primarily only sold in Japan and select Asian countries.

i've bought my JDM pieces from two very reputable sellers in Japan who are well-known in the watch community:

www.higuchi-inc.com
www.seiyajapan.com

Seiya is having some health issues and is currently unavailable. Higuchi is a brick-n-mortar store.

here in the US, Arizona Fine Time is an Citizen & Seiko authorized dealer who might be able help. (i've never had any dealings with them but they are active sponsors on WatchuSeek which is one of the more popular watch enthusiast sites.)

the last Attesa model with a similar dial layout is the ATV53-3023 (JDM i think) and the Skyhawk line which is readily available in the US. imo, the latter are much busier looking models since they have a slide-rule bezel.

hope this helps...

[edit] there was an ATV53-2832 version as well.
When I was trying to find that model out, I noticed that the Atessa models are JDM so I'll be on the hunt for them in Tokyo.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
I travel with an Oris Big Crown Complication, I like the dual time zone display. Self-winding mechanical watches are nice because I don't have to worry about watch running out of battery when I am on the road.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
nice to hear that things clicked for you.

off-topic, but i thought Skyfall was way overhyped (those people who gave it high marks must have been watching a different movie than what i saw) and i was disappointed with many parts of the movie. one of the few nice points was seeing the DB5 again.
Here, you might like this; everything wrong with Skyfall in four minutes or less
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:51 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
...the last Attesa model with a similar dial layout is the ATV53-3023 (JDM i think) and the Skyhawk line which is readily available in the US. imo, the latter are much busier looking models since they have a slide-rule bezel.

hope this helps...
It does, greatly. Thanks for the detailed information.

Your Attesa is attractive to me as I prefer a clean bezel. I would like to add a new watch to my current selection (both of my current work watches have stainless steel bracelets; I like the ion/black look). I'll keep my eye open for similar models.

Great thread! ^
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Since I often travel to places where a watch like that can get you knocked over the head or worse, I wear a TIMEX with a multi color fabric band, no one has tried to steal it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.