Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Watches

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Badenoch
How do you like this watch? I am considering the same model to replace my Bulova mechanical GMT for travel. My primary travel watch is a digital but the Bulova is for dressier occasions. Because I don't wear it all the time I get a little tired of having to reset it and don't like that primary time can't be changed without affecting the GMT hand.

I wear a mechanical watch most of the time but quartz watches definitely have their place in the scheme of things.
A really nice mechanical watch that allows easy changing of the main dial while maintaining your home time on a subsidiary dial is the Oris Worldtimer. It changes the hour hand on the main dial with pusher buttons so you don't lose the minutes or your home time on the other dial.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Welcome to Flyertalk! That Moto watch is nice looking.
Good to see you too!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
A really nice mechanical watch that allows easy changing of the main dial while maintaining your home time on a subsidiary dial is the Oris Worldtimer. It changes the hour hand on the main dial with pusher buttons so you don't lose the minutes or your home time on the other dial.
Thanks. I've seen ads for the Worldtimer but not run across one in person. The Rolex and I believe the Omega GMTs also can adjust the main dial without affecting the GMT.

While it's heresy to the mechanical snobs I prefer a travel watch to be quartz so it's always ready to go.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:52 am

Thanks. I've seen ads for the Worldtimer but not run across one in person. The Rolex and I believe the Omega GMTs also can adjust the main dial without affecting the GMT.

While it's heresy to the mechanical snobs I prefer a travel watch to be quartz so it's always ready to go.
Not heresy at all. I often wear a Casio solar, atomic, digital while traveling.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF
I love my watches, particularly my two mechanical ones but recently I've taken to using only the World Clock function on my iPhone. Wearing a watch reminds me too much of going to work where it's a necessity.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
This is very good advice. I go through Frankfurt and Munich often and airport watches are no bargain. The stores however are good places to kill time between flights and you will see brands that are not that common. Munich particularly has a couple of top notch stores.

My best deal was on a Fortis B42 purchased from an AD in Sofia, Bulgaria. After a 20 per cent discount, VAT refund and application of my duty free exemption the price was less than half the MSRP.

You can find some good deals if you look. I've got a ~20-year-old rolex GMT (black/red bezel) that I am going to gift to my son. To replace it as a "travel watch" I've been looking for the new blue/black bezel version in stainless.
Rolex GMT-Master 116710blnr

I was in T3 in LHR last week and "Watches of Switzerland" had a good selection. The GMT I was looking for wasn't in stock, but at 4958£ it priced out after VAT refunds at ~$7500, plus import duty to the US which would be ~$300. That's a savings of at least $1700 over list in the US, which is now $9500. Add sales tax to that and out the door is almost $10k. Even gray market dealers are quoting at least $8500.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by AATrout
You can find some good deals if you look. I've got a ~20-year-old rolex GMT (black/red bezel) that I am going to gift to my son. To replace it as a "travel watch" I've been looking for the new blue/black bezel version in stainless.
Rolex GMT-Master 116710blnr

I was in T3 in LHR last week and "Watches of Switzerland" had a good selection. The GMT I was looking for wasn't in stock, but at 4958£ it priced out after VAT refunds at ~$7500, plus import duty to the US which would be ~$300. That's a savings of at least $1700 over list in the US, which is now $9500. Add sales tax to that and out the door is almost $10k. Even gray market dealers are quoting at least $8500.
That's a great deal for a BLNR. I've been casually trying to get one at a discount but the best I have been offered is 4% and no sales tax.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Panerai 320 GMT
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:31 am

Rolex SS Daytona...

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've started wearing this $15 Chinese automatic from eBay... it's a bit dressier than most of my better watches, matches the blue sport coat I wear most of the time, and I won't be crying when I inevitably leave it on a hotel desk or knock the crystal against a door knob. I bought it with the intention of replacing the band, but even that is up to snuff and I just replaced the clasp with a spring-loaded double-deployment (also Chinese from eBay) to class it up a bit. My only real complaint is they use an incorrect "IIII" for the number four. After taking the case-back off out of curiosity I found there are no gaskets or o-rings at any location, so I am at least somewhat careful with it around water... it'll probably die due to having coffee spilled on it.

Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
atop

Does anyone else have an atop? I love mine! Wish it had better water resistance/proof but it's durable and unique.

Turn the bezel to change the time.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:42 pm

I've been traveling with my Pebble Smart watch more and like it a lot.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I'm really wondering how the Apple Watch will shake all this up. There are still some concerns in my mind - notably, battery life - but if Apple are able to pull off a smart watch that also happens to look good, it would be impressive. And the different price tiers suggest that even the Rolex owners in this thread would have something to look forward to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.