Wiki Posts
Search

Garment bags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Garment bags

I have never used a garment bag before but I find myself wearing jackets/suits more often now. Generally, carrying 1-2 bag and wearing casual jacket while traveling. In few months, I will be traveling internationally for attending a wedding and might need to carry few different jackets for several occasions. Since suitcases are rarely the best choice for transporting suits/coats, I have thinking of a garment bag.

For folks who use garment bags regularly, what are the pros/cons in using a garment bag vs a large suitcase? Are these best suited in business travel or can be utilized in personal travels as well?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I have never used a garment bag before but I find myself wearing jackets/suits more often now. Generally, carrying 1-2 bag and wearing casual jacket while traveling. In few months, I will be traveling internationally for attending a wedding and might need to carry few different jackets for several occasions. Since suitcases are rarely the best choice for transporting suits/coats, I have thinking of a garment bag.

For folks who use garment bags regularly, what are the pros/cons in using a garment bag vs a large suitcase? Are these best suited in business travel or can be utilized in personal travels as well?
I used to have to wear jackets/suits (generally more formal) when I travel. For my typical 1 week trips, I ended up getting the Tumi Alpha classic garment bag (http://www.tumi.com/product/index.js...ndSrc=paramNav) With this thing, I would put in 1-2 suits and 2-3 shirts in the main "hanging" compartment, and then fit in pair of jeans, workout wear, toiletries, etc in the whole host of other pockets. When fully stuffed, it looks more like a barrel but it got the job done. I was successful in sneaking it on as a carryon most times but when I did have to check it, no issues too. I packed all the soft clothes in the outside pockets.

Less use for personal travels. Too heavy when stuffed, no wheels, extra hands tied up. That said, the one time I have used it for non-work was to go to a good friend's wedding. I had my own and spouse's formal wear in there.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:20 am

I have several luggage with built-in "suiters" that do an okay job of carrying maybe 1 jacket and dress shirt with very few wrinkles when I get to my destination, but my garment bag still beats them all, hands down. I opted for a Victorinox Paratrooper, which is a tri-fold garment bag, so it meets carry-on dimensions. I was a bit hesitant about a tri-fold versus the traditional 2-folder, but I have to say it has worked very well for me. I can carry a couple suits and several dress shirts and they all arrive just about wrinkle-free, almost never requiring any touch-up ironing.

I do tend to use it more for business than leisure travel though. IMO, if you're carrying mostly casual clothes (knits, jeans, etc.) but only 1 jacket/suit and linen shirt, and you don't mind doing some touch-up ironing at your destination, you can get away with using the suiters (or using the "bundling" packing method) in regular luggage. But if you're carrying several jackets/suits, and linens and you need them wrinkle free, definitely go for the garment bag.

With all the interior and exterior pockets in garment bags these days, I have no problem packing all the rest of my items such as toiletries, laptop/electronics, etc. in the garment bag as well. Also, it's nice being able to quickly just hang the entire garment bag when I reach my destination and not have to worry about unpacking right away to avoid wrinkles.

I definitely recommend one keeps a garment bag in their arsenal of luggage, especially when you need to pack several suits and dress shirts. But for casual-dress travel, you're probably better off with other luggage pieces.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Air Canada Altitude S100k / Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans

After years of using wheeled carry-on luggage, I finally switched to a tri-fold garment bag just recently. I opted for the stylish Alpha tri-fold from Tumi:

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.js...ndSrc=paramNav

So here are the pros and cons based on my experience:

PROS:

- A tri-fold will fit in the overhead bin of even a small regional jet like the CRJ200...very few wheeled bags can do this. If you check your bag or fly only on large aircraft then this big plus doesn't apply.
- I find I have an increased air of confidence carrying a bag with no wheels....but that's just me!
- A garment bag looks refined and polished and stands out from the sea of wheeled bags.
- Suits and shirts arrive with few creases.
- A tri-fold is much lighter than wheeled luggage...handy for stairs and lifting into an overhead bin.
- I could not find a wheeled suiter (upright or horizontal) that strictly complies with airline carry-on policy. A standard 22" upright suiter is usually around 23"-23.5" tall with wheels and handle, which is well over the Air Canada (my usual airline) maximum length of 21.5". I have a Briggs & Riley 20" wheeled case, which I love, but it won't accommodate a suit unless it is folded...

CONS:

- Wheels are very handy when the bag is heavy, and also mean you don't have to worry about where to place the bag...like a wet sidewalk, or dirty floor.
- Wheeled bags generally have more flexibility to carry bulkier items like extra shoes.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:26 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...aptop-bag.html
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:35 am

Garment bags are fine, but I find it really annoying that after storing them on the overhead bin, people might just put their stuff on my garment bag, or removing their stuff from below my bag, or simply mess up everything by searching for their wallet or something... and thus putting in wrinkles in my suit!!

Wheeled Garment bags are better in that regard, but the always exceed carry-on limits and are a pain to use as they are really very wide.

As some others have said, the best option at the moment seems to be to simply learn how to fold your suit and pray. Worked sometimes, not all times. Actually, most of the times it did not work.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: CX Gold
I use a garment bag (John Lewis, GBP30, bought in the UK in 2003). Usually, take 2 suits with me... no need for ironing afterwards
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by FabBKK
I use a garment bag (John Lewis, GBP30, bought in the UK in 2003). Usually, take 2 suits with me... no need for ironing afterwards
Searched John Lewis and saw this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231819356/Product.aspx

Cool idea!

Originally Posted by Always@YVR
After years of using wheeled carry-on luggage, I finally switched to a tri-fold garment bag just recently. I opted for the stylish Alpha tri-fold from Tumi: ...
Excellent post, Always@YVR! I've been thinking about garment bags and think you're right about the tri-folds being best. I love the looks of your Tumi, but can't justify purchase for the 1 or 2 times a year I'd need it.

Patagonia had one they called the MLC Burrito. It looks like it's been discontinued. Any other affordable, compact tri-folds anyone would recommend?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I use a Hartmann Stratum 44" bag for overnight business trips or the occasional out-of-town social event where I want to pack one suit. I don't hang the dress shirt, however, I use the same 18" Eagle Creek Folder which I slip into my 22" Kirkland for longer trips, and put it in the outside pocket with underwear.

The benefit of this bag for me is when I fly, I can carry it on and put it in the overhead bin (I'm generally boarding in the first or second group for Economy) and then set my briefcase/computer bag on top of it. That means that I can keep the floor in front of my seat empty for more leg room.

http://www.hartmann.com/Hartmann-Str.../dp/B00AA16VW0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Rusearch
Searched John Lewis and saw this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231819356/Product.aspx

Cool idea!

dunno about that. If you wear a suit on your travels you usually also wear one during the journey. and for that, the back bag is just plain annoying, destroys the shoulders of your suit and makes you look stupid, just my opinion
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:59 pm

I watched a bunch of how to roll a suit videos on YouTube and never looked back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkW-90LLJxE. I thought the Lat56 packing system seems pretty neat, but it's just too pricy for 1 function and it really is not very flexible. I've tried wearing it on a plane or bringing a garment bag but still think rolling a suit is the best as I can go with 1 backpack and no wrinkles when done right.

Alternately, I saw this garment sleeve from eaglecreek and thought it could be useful If you pack a few t-shirts in between for padding. http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-garment-sleeve/d/1093
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Cohiba1492
I watched a bunch of how to roll a suit videos on YouTube and never looked back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkW-90LLJxE. I thought the Lat56 packing system seems pretty neat, but it's just too pricy for 1 function and it really is not very flexible. I've tried wearing it on a plane or bringing a garment bag but still think rolling a suit is the best as I can go with 1 backpack and no wrinkles when done right.

Alternately, I saw this garment sleeve from eaglecreek and thought it could be useful If you pack a few t-shirts in between for padding. http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-garment-sleeve/d/1093
I use that EC suit folder folded around my EC Shirt folder for a short trip requiring carrying one suit; in addition to the one I am wearing.

2 or more suits/jacket trouser combo will be carried in the B&R trifold rolling garment case
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:17 pm

I did use a cheap dress bag for my dress and my partners suit once when going to a wedding - neither of us had been using suits often enough to hassle with a garment bag. If you lay tissue paper over the suit and pack carefully, it worked ok. But that may depend on how high your standards are. My suitcase has some compression straps and I secured the dress bag to these with pipe cleaners (i think you could probably build a house with pipecleaners and duct tape). It is much lighter than a garment bag and cheaper if that is an issue.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:02 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

I use the B&R bags. I have the soft and the wheeled.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...370&sec=travel

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...176&sec=travel

These are both the check-in size. Here are a couple of additional pros and cons.

Pros:

Garment bags can be hung by themselves, so you have your own mini closet, if you will, without having to unpack. I find it very convenient if I am in a place only for a day. I don't have to unpack, but I can get all the wrinkles out and allow fabric to breathe.

The non-wheeled ones are also soft and thus expandable, to an extent. This gives you a lot of flexibility in packing.

Cons:

You lose the depth, if you need to pack any gifts and that sort. Because they fold, the actual depth you have is only half what you see with the bag folded. So, everything has to be pretty slim to fit into gament bags. No exceptions.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by LandingGear
I use the B&R bags. I have the soft and the wheeled.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...370&sec=travel

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...176&sec=travel

These are both the check-in size. Here are a couple of additional pros and cons.

Pros:

Garment bags can be hung by themselves, so you have your own mini closet, if you will, without having to unpack. I find it very convenient if I am in a place only for a day. I don't have to unpack, but I can get all the wrinkles out and allow fabric to breathe.

The non-wheeled ones are also soft and thus expandable, to an extent. This gives you a lot of flexibility in packing.

Cons:

You lose the depth, if you need to pack any gifts and that sort. Because they fold, the actual depth you have is only half what you see with the bag folded. So, everything has to be pretty slim to fit into gament bags. No exceptions.
Far more than I am looking to spend.

I am not looking for anything more than $50-$75 here. Gonna carry jackets only. Other stuff goes in accompanying suitcase/rollaboard etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.