Wiki Posts
Search

RECON ONE Tablet Flight Caddy & Bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
RECON ONE Tablet Flight Caddy & Bag

Let me begin by first extending my sincere thanks to wharvey (moderator) for allowing me to post this........

I've been a member-in-lurking on this forum for some time and have read with great interest many of the posts especially with regards to travel related products.

For the past 2 years I've been working on a personal project that is a travel related product and this was recently launched on Kickstarter. The product in question is a Tablet Flight Caddy & Bag that I call the Recon One. If this is successfully funded, I plan to expand the line to include more travel related products, mostly bags. The project can be found here:

Kickstarter - AlphaOneNiner's RECON ONE

Understandably the Recon One is not meant for every one of us; was hoping that it might appeal to those who have a similar need as I do. If you have a few minutes to spare please check it out and I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Helm Ashiblie
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Looks like a great product, I regularly carry a 5.11 messenger bag, but for shorter trips this would be great.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:18 pm

I like the product. Something I can see owning. The ability to lock the case would be nice.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Originally Posted by ColoTrvlGirl
I like the product. Something I can see owning. The ability to lock the case would be nice.
From the FAQ on the project it looks like that is already the case;

Is the bag lockable?

Yes! I will have lockable YKK sliders that will accomodate a small travel lock.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks KJ!

ColoTrvlGirl, as KJ has noted from one my responses on Kickstarter, I will be producing these wil lockable YKK zippers.

Please feel free should you have any other Qs.

Helm
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:31 pm

Thank you for the response. I look forward to seeing your product.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:25 pm

I liked the video on your website. One suggestion I have is that you make still images of the interior of the bag and how it's arranged available on the website so people who don't want to sit through a 6 minute video will be able to get an idea of what the interior of the bag looks like.

A few comments:
1. Instead of two identical outer pockets would you consider changing one of them into a zippered pocket? I know it's a bit redundant to a have a zipper plus a flap but I make it a policy never to store anything in something that doesn't have a zipper as I simply don't trust flaps given it's much easier to rub them open with another bag in the overhead, against your coat, etc.

2. You may want to consider at some point having the two outer pockets be replacable/changable. I'd prefer a mesh sling to stick a large water bottle for example instead of two identically sized pockets. Perhaps you could make one of the pockets looser so it could be tasked for that?

3. Perhaps one single D ring where you could attach a carabiner with whatever else you wanted would be a good feature? Or perhaps even two so the bag could be worn ambidexterous. I realize it's already relatively "heavy" but two D rings should not add significant weight and perhaps weight savings can be gained elsewhere.

4. It appears the bag is designed for a "naked" tablet but quite many people use various sleeves and cases. I hope you've added tolerances to accomodate even a full wrap around case.

Otherwise, this looks like a really interesting project and I'd be interested in buying a final product.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi Lurker,

Thanks very much for the comments.

1. FYI, I will have to make one change to those outer pockets.......change it from using magnets to possibly a hidden (under the flap) buckles. A couple of folks were concern about the use of magnets around phones and portable drives. Well I found out that the magnets are too small to affect either BUT it will be a concern for credit cards or hotel room cards should anyone leave theirs in either pocket. Good point on the zippered pockets. I will put it to the current backers and see if the have a preference.

2. I have actually used the front pockets to hold a bottle of a water. It's large enough to hold a standard size bottle.

3. D-rings are easy to add and they don't weigh anything. I'll have a look at it. As for weight, the bag weighs 2 pounds.

4. I've been using mine with an iPad with a smart cover and a back plate on. It has some room for a case but definitely not one that is too thick.

Once again thanks very much for the comments

Helm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Nice, looks cool.

New Trent external battery - ^
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Looks nice. I will have to measure my mac air to see if it will fit.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

1200, yup the NewTrent is the way to go. It has been a great battery to date.

Josh, I know it wouldn't fit an 13" MacBook Air 'cos that's what I have, just not sure about the 11". I plan to add a larger bag, once this project gets sorted out, for ultra notebooks.

Helm
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by HELM
1200, yup the NewTrent is the way to go. It has been a great battery to date.

Josh, I know it wouldn't fit an 13" MacBook Air 'cos that's what I have, just not sure about the 11". I plan to add a larger bag, once this project gets sorted out, for ultra notebooks.

Helm
Thanks for the reply. I have an 11" for travel and use the mini iPad. I just pledged the $130 and will let you know when I get it.

I did not see where it would let me pick Coyote but I am sure that is something that will be asked.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
It does look cool, but I will have to wait until you make something similar for the 13" macbook air or other ultrabook. I do think its great that you design to include batteries/chargers/iphones, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Josh, thank you sir! When the project ends tonight I will be sending a mass email to all the backers with a number of questions, some or all might pertain to your respective pledge, including the color of your choice

Thanks for the kind words Mikel. I will update everyone when I get the next design completed. I'm a stickler for testing anything thoroughly so it would take a couple of long haul flights before I can sign off on a design.

For example, I have a new backpack design completed but besides a couple of flights here and there, I'm going to hop over to Thailand and trek some miles on the Burmese Death Railway Trail (in Kanchanaburi) to see how it holds, shoulder padding issues, etc. If it comes out sans any issues, it goes on the production schedule.

It takes a little bit longer than most product development but I want the customer who owns one of these to remind herself or himself 5 years down the road that they are still so glad they bought the bag.

Take the dopp kit on the current project. I used the final prototype for 1 year before approving it and when it comes to grooming stuff, I think I carry more than most albeit in compact/travel size containers.

Bottom line, I love and enjoy product development and have been doing so for more than 20 years and hope I can stay in shape and do this for another 20+ years.

Anyway, thanks all once again for all your support. It is very much appreciated.

Helm
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG, National
Just pledged $45 for the flight caddy/sleeve, but wasn't prompted to indicate my tablet anywhere during the payment process (I have an iPad 3). Looking forward to seeing the caddy in May. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.