Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Just bought TravelPro Crew 9 22" - my thoughts, and yours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just bought TravelPro Crew 9 22" - my thoughts, and yours?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
We bought 2 initially and liked them so much we now have 4 - one for each person in our 4-person family. Tough, reliable and looks good.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:05 pm

My travel pro Crew8 handle has snapped completely off twice! Not impressed with the handle at all. I have taken it twice to be repaired under warranty by a travel pro repair shop. I am on my third handle and it cracked last week. I am an airline crew member and use the bag almost daily, but I do not recommend this bag nor Travel Pro (in terms of quality).
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by David Cummings
My travel pro Crew8 handle has snapped completely off twice! Not impressed with the handle at all. I have taken it twice to be repaired under warranty by a travel pro repair shop. I am on my third handle and it cracked last week. I am an airline crew member and use the bag almost daily, but I do not recommend this bag nor Travel Pro (in terms of quality).
David,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Crew 9. We will repair it under the warranty.

You may want to consider our Flight Crew line of product, as it was built specifically for airline professionals. The company was started by a pilot and the Flight Crew line continues to be our flagship product for airline professionals.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: Starting over :( DL Silver National Exec, and Hilton Gold.
After 11 years, it's time to replace my crew5. The nylon is starting to shred on the front bottom. Probably the most perfect bag I have used. I even replaced the wheels on it! Will I be disappointed with a newer model or is it an evolution? I will probably retire this bag after my trip this week. I've got a vintage crew plus I scored at a thrift store ill use through be summer (talk about an awesome bag) while I figure this out.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:16 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would appreciate any advice.

I need to replacement my old carry-on, a 22 inch roll aboard suiter which was sold by Brookstone many years ago. Don't know who manufactured it, but it is a well-made, tough bag. At the time it was also a very tech savvy bag, because it included a separate compartment on the front, with a separate mini (at the time) laptop case which fit in the compartment. (I rarely used it for my laptop, but that compartment was also a nice size for extra shoes. A great bag, very tough EXCEPT the zipper on the laptop compartment ripped. Still a good overnight bag, and shows practically no wear other than the torn zipper, but there's too much lost space in the now unusable laptop section, and it doesn't pass muster as a "legal" carry-on anymore.

Anyway, I have been comparing the Crew 9 22" Rollaboard suiter and the Crew 9 21" spinner. I am leaning toward the 22" because it appears to have more extra capacity than the 1" difference would indicate, I assume because more space is lost due to the spinner wheels. I am not convinced that the flexibility of having 4 wheels is worth picking the slightly smaller spinner over the tried and true rollaboard. Has anyone tried both of these bags enough to comment on whether the difference in capacity is significant or not?

Last, I could get a Platinum 7 22" inch suiter on closeout for about 20% more. Is the Platinum worth the extra money for a fairly infrequent (1-2 days a month) business traveler?
Old May 19, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pb2239
Long time lurker, first time poster. Would appreciate any advice.

I need to replacement my old carry-on, a 22 inch roll aboard suiter which was sold by Brookstone many years ago. Don't know who manufactured it, but it is a well-made, tough bag. At the time it was also a very tech savvy bag, because it included a separate compartment on the front, with a separate mini (at the time) laptop case which fit in the compartment. (I rarely used it for my laptop, but that compartment was also a nice size for extra shoes. A great bag, very tough EXCEPT the zipper on the laptop compartment ripped. Still a good overnight bag, and shows practically no wear other than the torn zipper, but there's too much lost space in the now unusable laptop section, and it doesn't pass muster as a "legal" carry-on anymore.

Anyway, I have been comparing the Crew 9 22" Rollaboard suiter and the Crew 9 21" spinner. I am leaning toward the 22" because it appears to have more extra capacity than the 1" difference would indicate, I assume because more space is lost due to the spinner wheels. I am not convinced that the flexibility of having 4 wheels is worth picking the slightly smaller spinner over the tried and true rollaboard. Has anyone tried both of these bags enough to comment on whether the difference in capacity is significant or not?

Last, I could get a Platinum 7 22" inch suiter on closeout for about 20% more. Is the Platinum worth the extra money for a fairly infrequent (1-2 days a month) business traveler?
I had the exact same questions and ran out to Macy's to try them out. (I would recommend the same to you!)

IMHO,

1. Plat 7 vs Crew 9, function wise same, visually little bit difference but a person who-does-not-care-who-you-are-will-not-notice difference
(it seemed to me also same texture wise)

2. Spinner vs Rollaboard, the spinner is quite smaller, and from my short encounter, the spinner was actually uncomfortable (could be habit), for me to drag it as I would a 'normal' rollaboard. If you would to drag it side ways upright, than no problem. It just feels that it is not designed to be dragged while leaned.

I jumped onto the Crew 9 rollaboard, and currently on my first trip. It does have the previously mentioned problem of having a too high center of gravity in the front if you put your laptop in the front pocket, but otherwise so far so good.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:06 am

Poor wheels on spinner

I'm a flight attendant for a commecial airline and just went from a Crew 4 rollaboard to the Crew 9 spinner. I have to say, the tiny hard plastic wheels on the spinner are a huge disappointment. The bag takes a lot of effort to drag across carpet in airports and hotels, gets stuck on the metal connectors in jetbridges, cracks in sidewalks, curbs, etc. We flight attendants usually swap out our TP wheels with upgraded inline skate wheels that roll much smoother, it looks like I will be doing that with the spinner bag. Maybe increasing the size of the wheels and softer material will ease the movement over the above mentioned. So far I have disassembled the wheel units from the bag itself, but still need to figure out how to remove and replace the actual wheel.

The bag is defintely smaller, but I pack light. I think if you hang something on the front with the hook, it would tip over. But it holds my lunchbag/tote over the handle on the top great.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:21 pm

Travelpro Crew 9 22" Exp Rollaboard Suiter Black

Originally Posted by Travelpro Luggage
You will find there are two skid bars on the bottom of the Crew 9 22”. There are also 2 skid bars on the back of the bag. I hope this helps.

Paul Lawrence
Travelpro Luggage
I just received my Travelpro Crew 9 22" Expandable Rollaboard Suiter Luggage today 06-26-2013. It has two skid bars on the bottom of the bag, but DOES NOT have two skid bars on the back of the bag as pictured in the attached warranty booklet. Maybe the Chinese manufacturing plant where it was made is engaging in cost-cutting that Travelpro is unaware of. The bar code numbers on the booklet are "0 51243 05033 8".
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:07 pm

Exclamation Crew 9 Carry On Rolling Garment Bag

I just purchased the Crew 9 Rolling Carry On Garment Bag.

Overall, a well made bag. I like that it holds my suits for a week trip and they are relatively in good shape upon arrival.

Two issues:

First, the inline skate wheels have come loose while pulling bag in airport. I ended up having to tighten the axel nut as they were rather loose. Not sure that is something that would have been required on a new unit. The fact that they came loose on my first trip has me concerned there may be a potential design flaw in the wheels.

Second, Travel Pro advertises an Add-A-Bag system with this unit. I don't see the traditional clips on the top of this luggage to be able to add the strap. Does anyone know if this is some type of "after market" purchase I need to make, as no straps were included in the box I received from travel pro.

I'd appreciate if anyone here could comment on the wheel issue - to see if they've experienced the same. I'm headed out on another trip tomorrow, and if I experience the issues again I'm going to probably have to get travel pro to replace the luggage or wheels.

thanks,
John
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: IHG PE • WN ALP/CP • National EE
Originally Posted by lugnut1
However, once I put my laptop in the front pocket, the bag tends to lean forward, and will tip over if I bump the bag even slightly.
Originally Posted by blahndy
The bag takes a lot of effort to drag across carpet in airports and hotels, gets stuck on the metal connectors in jetbridges, cracks in sidewalks, curbs, etc. We flight attendants usually swap out our TP wheels with upgraded inline skate wheels that roll much smoother, it looks like I will be doing that with the spinner bag
These are my two big gripes with my my 21" spinner.

Originally Posted by blahndy
We flight attendants usually swap out our TP wheels with upgraded inline skate wheels that roll much smoother, it looks like I will be doing that with the spinner bag.
That's... brilliant. Added to my to-do list
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1K, HERTZ Presidents Circle
My travelpro Crew 8 add-a-bag strap broke does anyone know how I can a replacement and if they would ship one directly to me while I am traveling?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: QF
Where can I get TravelPro Crew in Oz (or failing that, San Francisco)

My Crew 22 has finally bit the dust after 10 years.
I'd like a new one, but they do not appear to be available in Australia.
I'll be in SF for a week in December, so would like to pick one up then if possible.
Any suggestions about which store to go to?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by DrShorthair
My Crew 22 has finally bit the dust after 10 years.
I'd like a new one, but they do not appear to be available in Australia.
I'll be in SF for a week in December, so would like to pick one up then if possible.
Any suggestions about which store to go to?
Consider ordering online and having it delivered to you in SF. You will surely get best price and can probably get free shipping.

I got my Crew 8 22 Expandable at Altman Luggage. I got my FlightCrew 4 22 Expandable at Flight Attendant Shop. Both painless transactions with free shipping.

Recommend FC4 for hard service. It's heavy and has a silly back pouch, but sturdy.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:40 pm

NEVER EVER buy the Travelpro Crew 9 22"

Got it for my husband last year and regretting that decision every time we travel (which is pretty often). The stupid luggage TIPS OVER in the front!!!!!!!! The luggage sits straight upright and if you pack it to capacity, it will tip over. We tried different packing strategies (heavy clothes at the bottom, nothing in the front pockets) and nothing works!!!! Finally couldn't take it anymore and called Travelpro Customer Service. Got terrible service - the lady on the phone was no help and just told us to mail it in at our own expense for fixing or take it to an authorized luggage repair shop. There was no empathy and no suggestions for how to resolve the issue. SO....I would stay away from TRAVELPRO CREW 9 2" and Travelpro in general!!!!!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jenjen226
Got it for my husband last year and regretting that decision every time we travel (which is pretty often). The stupid luggage TIPS OVER in the front!!!!!!!! The luggage sits straight upright and if you pack it to capacity, it will tip over. We tried different packing strategies (heavy clothes at the bottom, nothing in the front pockets) and nothing works!!!! Finally couldn't take it anymore and called Travelpro Customer Service. Got terrible service - the lady on the phone was no help and just told us to mail it in at our own expense for fixing or take it to an authorized luggage repair shop. There was no empathy and no suggestions for how to resolve the issue. SO....I would stay away from TRAVELPRO CREW 9 2" and Travelpro in general!!!!!
I'm getting more and more annoyed by the tipping issue as well on my Crew 9 20". This, combined with the fact that I would rather have a suiter than the computer pocket on the 20" (which seemed like a good idea at the time), has me considering replacing what SHOULD be an excellent bag after only 3 months of use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.