Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa - 56x45x25 or 55x40x20

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Rimowa - 56x45x25 or 55x40x20

I'm planning to buy a new carry-on for my regular business trips (mostly weekly, 2-3 days each time; could have some longer ones but 95% of the time no more than 4-5 days each). I always just do carry on, and am now debating between the two size options from Rimowa - 56x45x25 or 55x40x20. the difference in storage volumes of the two is quite big, some 48L vs. 30L. leaning towards the bigger one for the better flexibility in case I need more (although I think for 70-80% of my trips I only need the smaller one).

they call the smaller one "IATA", although I thought the official IATA carry-on size is the bigger one. but, I also think the smaller one would be ok with most likely all airlines, but some airlines (maybe half?) would have carry-on limits smaller than the larger size above.

my question is - if I buy the larger one, based on your experiences with various countries/airlines, how likely am I to encounter problem (i.e. be asked to check in my luggage) ? I travel business/first class 95%+ of the time if this is relevant (or maybe airport security don't care).

my travel is mostly within Asia (with CX/KA/SQ mostly - I think I'm relatively comfortable with these airlines I'd be ok with the large one), but sometimes with LH/BA/AA/UA - how strict are these airlines in terms of carry-on limit ? and how strict are the airport security, e.g. at LHR or FRA/MUC ? (I assume in the US it's probably ok since I always see people having big carry-on luggage anyway?)

thanks a lot for any advice you might offer !!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:16 pm

Ted, I'd go with the smaller one if there is any way you can swing it in terms of packing volume. There are two factors to consider: size AND weight. If history teaches us anything at all, then we know luggage regulations will rather become stricter in the future than being loosened up again.

LH is already a stickler for weight. I don't know how bad they are in business/first but I can tell you that they are baaad in coach.

Are the cases you are thinking about 4 or 2 wheel cases? Maybe you can gain some volume by going with a 2-wheeler. Really all you need for a small suitcase.

I think it was Swissaire, the resident expert on all things Rimowa, who said it seemed to him that LH was a bit more lenient with Rimowa luggage because they also sell that in their own shops. He also travels to Asia quite a bit and will hopefully chime in here.

I think it's important to be an efficient packer. If you think there is room for improvement (there always is ), then read the packing sticky on top of this page. Many tips to be gleaned.

The good thing about those cases is that they are practically identical in terms of max length. That is important for packing a suit. So even if you choose the smaller case, you don't lose room needed for the shoulders of a jacket.

Safe travels,

Till
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
You will often see the larger size cheaper than the smaller, this is because the larger size is less "useful".

The larger size is OK for British Airways, the smaller size is OK for Lufthansa, so if you're going to travelling on different airlines, I would definitely go for the smaller size, but bear in mind that even that is too big for some airlines (too wide for AA, for example).

As Till says, Lufthansa is a stickler for their weight limit (9kg?) but BA have a limit which I think is 23kg (but you must be able to lift it unaided).

Till also mentions the gain in packing volume between the 2- and 4- wheel cases; Rimowa's figures for are that the smaller size in the 2-wheel version gives you 35 litres of space, the 4-wheel version comes in at 30 litres, if that 5 litre difference is useful to you.

Last edited by NeverFirst; Jun 10, 2012 at 1:54 am Reason: Legibility
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:13 pm

Good response. That's what I was pointing at with the 2 wheel and 4 wheel version. 5L is a pair of shoes in terms of volume. To use that fully, fill your shoes with socks or a toiletry ziplock bag.

Till

Last edited by tfar; Jun 10, 2012 at 3:40 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by tfar
Good response. That's what I was pointing it with the 2 wheel and 4 wheel version. 5L is a pair of shoes in terms of volume. To use that fully, fill your shoes with socks or a toiletry ziplock bag.

Till
I re-wrote my post so it makes sense - I really shouldn't post last thing at night!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
I re-wrote my post so it makes sense - I really shouldn't post last thing at night!
Yeah! I know what that's like from personal experience. LOL!

Just checked my own post and need to correct something.

Till
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
If you buy the IATA-sized Rimowa, you will almost certainly not get hassled by LH. As Till said - LH has Rimowa make most of their house branded bags and it would be awful marketing to make people check those. Also, the price of Rimowa bags is likely to mean you are annoying someone who you want repeat business from. The only other way to get away from those ridiculous MEC rules is to go without wheels, which also seems to throw them off.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
If you buy the IATA-sized Rimowa, you will almost certainly not get hassled by LH. As Till said - LH has Rimowa make most of their house branded bags and it would be awful marketing to make people check those. Also, the price of Rimowa bags is likely to mean you are annoying someone who you want repeat business from. The only other way to get away from those ridiculous MEC rules is to go without wheels, which also seems to throw them off.
Yep, but if you go without wheels then you are almost automatically limiting yourself to a weight of 7-9kg simply because more gets really heavy on the arms and shoulders if you have a long way from one terminal to the other. LH limit is 8kg. But business and first he can take two pieces.

So again, better to take the smaller suitcase and then use a good size personal item which may even be quite heavy, which won't matter too much because it can easily ride on the Rimowa. They are great for that.

Till
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
thanks everyone, very helpful !! and seems there's some clear consensus too...

just one question, to N1120A...when you said, "If you buy the IATA-sized Rimowa, you will almost certainly not get hassled by LH", do you mean the "IATA" designated by Rimowa (i.e. small one, 55x40x20) or the dimensions indeed specified by IATA (i.e. big one, 56x45x25, http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passeng...check_bag.aspx).

because, if it's the small one...I assume, even without LH's relationship with Rimowa...I'd assume this size is ok with ALL airlines ? (understanding that sometimes the "official" size published is smaller, eg AA, but don't think this would be a problem?)

or, N1120A, do you mean the bigger one probably is ok with LH too, given their relationship with Rimowa ?

thanks again everyone !!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by tedhl:18731281
thanks everyone, very helpful !! and seems there's some clear consensus too...

just one question, to N1120A...when you said, "If you buy the IATA-sized Rimowa, you will almost certainly not get hassled by LH", do you mean the "IATA" designated by Rimowa (i.e. small one, 55x40x20) or the dimensions indeed specified by IATA (i.e. big one, 56x45x25, http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passeng...check_bag.aspx).

because, if it's the small one...I assume, even without LH's relationship with Rimowa...I'd assume this size is ok with ALL airlines ? (understanding that sometimes the "official" size published is smaller, eg AA, but don't think this would be a problem
I think the key here is what is written on that IATA page; "However, please make sure to check with your airline first as baggage allowance will differ depending on airline, route, class fare, etc."

The Lufthansa baggage regulations seem to be strictly enforced, and this means you will have to go with the 55*40*20 bag. This is the size of their bag-sizers at the airport. You might see these smaller bags labelled as "IATA bordkoffer", even though they're the cases which are smaller than IATA's published numbers. (This difference may have something to do with Rimowa's relationship with LH).

You should ask on the AA board how strict they are with carry-on (it might be different with long distance / trans-atlantic flights) but I would never assume that anything outside the airline's published rules will be OK.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
I've just had my first flights on AA (145+763) with a new Limbo 56x45x25, which is essentially the same size of my previous rollaboard that I've used for years on sCO.

I'd say that in the US and flying F you'd be fine with the larger one. When it doesn't fit, it means you're likely on an ERJ, CRJ or Q400 and you can gate check it - although I must say I can't quite remember how it works on the larger ERJ-170/190.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:06 pm

Greuzi, from . . . . . . . . . . . . . a cold and overcast Southern California.

My ears were getting warm as I arrived, so I checked the FT forum. Till, thank you for the compliment. I'll try and be worthy of such accolades.

RE: LH-RIMOWA CARRY-ON

1. As stated above, Lufthansa has carried a LH branded Rimowa marque of luggage for many years now. Many of the features in this luggage are quite unique and practical versus the standard Rimowa lines, worth investigating when considering luggage.

2. LH does then favour passengers using LH branded luggage, as well stated above. But passengers carrying said luggage are expected to know the rules and regulations, and pack LH carry-on cases within reason. Overweight ( luggage, not the passenger ) carry-on, with squeaking wheels, and underwear and even lederhosen flapping outside will probably earn you a second look and the feared scale. If you are using LH branded luggage, perhaps even a court marshal.

3. There is no rule that states today your LH luggage cannot be gate-checked. My LH alu attache was once with my laptop, and there was nothing negotiable in the demand from the counter, as the agent wasn't in the mood that evening. The flight was 100% full, and perhaps coincidentally, that was the one time I flew economy.

So one must be prepared these days to have carry-on, even if with newly purchased Private Jet or Titanium model, placed in the LH cargo hold.

4. Important ! If Nr. 3 happens, a word of advise: Never argue with a Lufthansa GA or FA. Especially if they are in uniform.

If you do you will notice that all time stops immediately, all sounds cease, you get the dreaded stare from everyone, you become embarrassed, and then suffer cardiac arrest. Perhaps even worse.

That being said, in reading this post, the smaller sized case ( 55 x 40 x 20 cm ) would be best suited. This would be my choice between the two.

Bordkoffer is an older term, used previously with a small hand-carry only case. I used one for a few years until it morphed into the current business case with wheels. My right arm then returned from somewhere near my shoe to it's original length. Rimowa cases today come in 2 and 4 wheel versions ( 2-4x rollern). I can be confusing when ordering online, so I do think it best to try and find a local store to try each case on for size, if you will.

Between inch measurements, centimeters, or the product code Nr., I would try and verify the code Nr. and use that if making a purchase. I hope this is helpful.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swissaire
1. As stated above, Lufthansa has carried a LH branded Rimowa marque of luggage for many years now. Many of the features in this luggage are quite unique and practical versus the standard Rimowa lines, worth investigating when considering luggage.
thanks a lot everyone !! one follow-up question on the above...I have tried to understand a bit the LH WorldShop products, online...but could someone enlighten me on what's the key "unique/practical" features that these products have ? thanks again !!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by tedhl
thanks a lot everyone !! one follow-up question on the above...I have tried to understand a bit the LH WorldShop products, online...but could someone enlighten me on what's the key "unique/practical" features that these products have ? thanks again !!
If I have understood correctly it is the interior outfitting that changes. Different lining, different accessories like toiletry bags and storage dividers.

I have looked at the shoppe, too, and thought they had quite interesting offerings.

Till
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:03 am

Unique and Practical defined

Take a look at this linK:
https://www.worldshop.eu/product/Luf...-Set/1740979?0

Zoom in on the XL case interior. Note that there are elastic straps, that secure clothing, laptops, and personal items against the lined interior of each case clamshell.

An overlay of a lined mesh divider then covers each side. That divider unzips to hold smaller items such a camera, MP3, flash drives, keys, wallet, documents, smaller personal items, and in one of my flights a laptop. There is a business card case added onto the mesh band. Clever little features, brainstormed by a number of travelers.

These are unique to the LH Rimowa marque, and have been found to be practical for travelers for over 20+ years. You won't find these in the Rimowa line, nor the Porsche Rimowa line, etc.

Note that the dividers serve a number of purposes: 1. To keep each case from being overloaded and blown out, the primary purpose, and 2. To keep your things easy to find and organized inside. The newer dividers with the tension straps further balance the packed items inside each case, by pulling the load away from stressing the hinge and the locks, and towards the inside face of each clamshell, to spread the weight there.

I hope this is helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.