Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please recommend the best possible women's shoulder bag for travel

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

I've read the forums here for years and learned a lot: thank you all. This is my first question.

I want to buy a very high-quality shoulder bag for travel. In my perfect world it would be a roller bag that doubles as a shoulder bag, but I'm not sure if such a thing exists, or even makes sense.

I need a new bag because I carry a ton of electronic gear when I travel -- laptops, tablet, phone, accessories. I don't want to check any of it, but carrying it's hard on my ordinary bag, and on my back. So, I'd like to buy a shoulder bag that's better suited for travel. I am happy to pay whatever I need to for good quality.

Criteria: The bag needs to be durable, so I can cram it under seats and into overhead bins without it showing any wear. It needs to be able to hold bulky heavy stuff and keep its shape. And it needs to be comfortable to carry, which probably means thick handles. It doesn't have to be padded or have compartments: all my stuff is in sleeves. I do not want a knapsack or messenger bag. I am small, so I don't want anything overwhelmingly large.

In terms of style, I like minimalist/simple, e.g., Briggs & Riley, Jack Spade, Case Logic. I have a B&R rollerboard that I love, but I have never used (or seen in person) their shoulder bags or totes.

Thanks for any advice you can give me :-)
Old May 28, 2012, 9:03 pm

Does it need to look womanly? If not, I'd actually stick to a a rolling briefcase from BR or Victorinox, perhaps even Tumi. And perhaps Tumi has something a bit more ladylike.

When your ordinary shoulder bag gets so heavy that you don't like to carry it anymore, that means you have three choices, two of them aren't so viable:

1. Bulk up. You probably don't want that.
2. Pack less. Probably not possible or you wouldn't be asking. Although, something always goes. So you might give it a try.
3. Get a bag with wheels.

Now, obviously, the bag with wheels will weigh even more than the one without wheels and it will often be constructed with disregard to what it weighs because that's the reason you get wheels in the first place, so you don't have to mind the weight anymore.

I actually like the BR shoulder bags even better than their rollers but I think that their rolling briefcases are pretty sweet, too. They also have a feature to stack them on their rollers.

Now these cases are pretty heavy. They weigh like close to 6lbs EMPTY. Since you say all your stuff is in sleeves and you don't need a lot of organizational features in a bag, you might want to try something like a Redoxx Aviator. Very light and very rugged and spacious. Also cheap.

Or if you wanted something more stylish get a tote from the Pliage series by Longchamps. Tons of choices. Very hip right now. Not crazy expensive but not cheap, either.

The Aviator is military minimalist. The Pliage is Paris minimalist.

These would be the two extremes. One end the very barebones bag you throw your stuff in and which keeps the tare weight (weight of bag) down but won't give you much organization or protection. You might actually be able to shoulder carry such a bag since the bag itself will save you a couple of pounds over your previous bag. The other end is the full-featured rolling briefcase with all bell and whistles.

It might be a good idea to start with something like the Pliage or Aviator because you won't kill much money and you can always use it for something else, too, as opposed to an expensive rolling office. Then, if you think that weight-wise you are good to go and you can actually carry the bag on your shoulder without strain, you can still look for a bag that fits your organizational needs but keeps the weight low.

Till
Old May 28, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Tumi Small Satchel perhaps?

It doesn't keep its shape though. It is essentially a quality looking flat bottom duffel.

As far as a shoulder bag, but keeps its shape and has wheels ........ I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Last edited by danpass; May 28, 2012 at 9:28 pm
Old May 29, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HI Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond
Check out this thread for suggestions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...e-my-life.html

I just bought the Lo and Sons OG. It is not a roller but I crammed it full on my last flight and it was comfortable to carry. The laptop compartment will not hold a 17" but I easily put it into the main compartment. It has compartments to keep you organized.

http://www.loandsons.com/the-og

I have a Victoronix Trevi roller laptop bag (the biggest that they make) and I found that it does not carry as much as a tote. It also becomes very heavy when you start putting everything you need into it.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
I'm 5', female, and carry multiple electronics on both domestic and international travel. The best bag I've found so far (and I've trued a ton) is actually fairly inexpensive: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/s...uctid=10155660.

I have it in black, and liked it so much that I just bought a second one in eggplant. It's ballistic nylon, so it's very light and water resistant. There are a couple of interior pockets to let me organize loose stuff, and exterior pockets that are perfect for cell phone, boarding passes, and reading material. I put my laptop, iPad and Nook in the laptop section, and that leaves the larger compartment for cables, chargers, pashmina, reading glasses, and the other random stuff I toss in on my way out the door.

It comes with a padded sleeve with handles that you don't need to use, and a handy tethered zippered pouch, which can also be removed. I expected to set both of these aside, but have actually found them quite useful.

The only negative is that the handle tops are a bit skimpy, but the bag is well balanced and the handles really don't bother me at all. Most importantly, they don't slide off my shoulder.

At this price (and with eBags' liberal return policy) it's easy to give it a try.
Old May 29, 2012, 4:19 pm

It might not meet your idea of a shoulder tote, but the Briggs and Riley rolling cabin tote is a nice open bag. For someone who doesn't need as much interior organization, this bag allows for more types of loads than the briefcases.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I gave up wheels a long time ago and haven't missed them. I have several bags made by Red Oxx (made in Montana USA) and use different ones for different needs. Often the Gator bag is my 'personal item' for carry on with the Sun Chaser as the bag with my clothes.

Red Oxx is hinting of new things to come when their new factory building is finished and is in production. www.redoxx.com
Old May 29, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Kensington Contour is a popular option. Wheeled but relatively light weight, feminine styling, handles are long enough to shoulder (although might be a bit heavy), and bag's back panel is contoured for ergonomics. (so it curves against your leg when carried)
Old May 30, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
MY wife just picked up the BR Baseline 255 for traveling.

What she liked:

1) nice lines
2) good sized so she could collapse her purse into it + carry things

Primary use is train between two homes; she has plenty of bags (purses) for use at either end so with this she can take a small roller + this bag and skip the purse. Time will tell if she uses it for flights.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...255&sec=travel
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
It depends on your style. I have a number of the bags suggested here - yes I had a bag fetish! I'm still working through the "consequences" of that (well, actually still working through the bags!!).

The Longchamp pliage is practical. Especially if you can get the hard-to-find model with a horizontal zip that zips out another compartment onto the bag that doubles the size of the bag. Gives you the choice to carry much less where you can. BUT like a lot of bags without wheels, the temptation is to fill the bag. Then without wheels the weight becomes very difficult to carry. Especially with the long distances we have to walk in airports these days to and from gates. So for me the Longchamp pliage is mostly a more "town" than travel option.

The ebags bag recommended here would have been great for me early in my career. But nowadays I'm inclined to something more formal. Did I say it looks like a nappy bag in the pictures? YMMV.

If you really don't want wheels I strongly recommend the B&R large tote bag recommended by some other posters. This is like Mary Poppins's bag. So much goes into it and you can't see it. Plus the straps hold it very securely on your shoulder. Somehow it's manageable and looks great even when very fully loaded. It also simply refuses to wear out or to show any signs of wear. Plus you have the B&R lifetime guarantee.

For wheels, either Victorinox , or B&R Baseline have some nice pullalong briefcase-type things (yes, I have/had several!) that can be used everyday as well as for flying. The B&R pullalong briefcase thing also has room to put a few personal things as well as all your electronics and work stuff and if you choose the slightly rounded model, can look very compact.

If you're casual then a long time ago I used to use some of the Timbuk2 bags especially the largest shoulder bag they do. That one will truly take everything you could wish, and more. Pretty tough and good for those who are OK to send a more "casual" message. Although the bags can be bought in all-black. Timbuk2 is losing ground to Crumpler though, so far as I can tell. Crumpler bags are definitely of a casual type. They feel very good to use and are apparently pretty tough.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by hbyerly
The best bag I've found so far (and I've trued a ton) is actually fairly inexpensive: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/s...uctid=10155660.
I learned about and bought this bag thanks to your write up. Thank you for taking the time to do so I am absolutely delighted with it. It organizes space in a way I find very desirable. I really like the large inner pocket with the strap that snaps to hold it closed. I put my MacAir in it along with trip files rather than using the separate included computer sleeve. It works great. I use the large outer zippered pocket for all my foreign currency. It's not obvious there is this pocket, and I feel quite secure about what I have in it. I use the outer back pocket for a few things I want on the plane. And I use the interior pockets for my phone, my cards, and so forth. There's plenty of room in the center for books, a change of clothes, my pack with my cables, and so forth - whatever I want for a lengthy international flight.

The bag actually looks better than shown online. There they have the outer pocket for a water bottle extended in order to show it exists. I like that pocket, and it zips up very snug against the bag. The bag thus looks quite sleek.

I own enough bags I might not have bought this if it hadn't been so cheap. It was just $40 with free shipping. Now that I have it, I like it so much I'd pay more for it.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:33 pm

There is the Pacsafe range of bags in various sizes and designs. Very discreet, and the anti-theft aspect might be attractive to you considering the valuable items you carry.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I learned about and bought this bag thanks to your write up. Thank you for taking the time to do so I am absolutely delighted with it. It organizes space in a way I find very desirable. I really like the large inner pocket with the strap that snaps to hold it closed. I put my MacAir in it along with trip files rather than using the separate included computer sleeve. It works great. I use the large outer zippered pocket for all my foreign currency. It's not obvious there is this pocket, and I feel quite secure about what I have in it. I use the outer back pocket for a few things I want on the plane. And I use the interior pockets for my phone, my cards, and so forth. There's plenty of room in the center for books, a change of clothes, my pack with my cables, and so forth - whatever I want for a lengthy international flight.

The bag actually looks better than shown online. There they have the outer pocket for a water bottle extended in order to show it exists. I like that pocket, and it zips up very snug against the bag. The bag thus looks quite sleek.

I own enough bags I might not have bought this if it hadn't been so cheap. It was just $40 with free shipping. Now that I have it, I like it so much I'd pay more for it.
Hmmmm. After your review of the Bagallini rollaboard which prompted me to buy and love, I think I will be purchasing this as well ^^ Between the 2 bags I should be able to carry everything I need.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2015, 1:59 am
Suspended

Last year, I traveled to Paris. Before traveling, I bought a bag from Nina Armando. I like that bag so much. Now, this becomes my lucky charm. The color of my bag is hot red and made with leather.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:06 pm

A couple of other bags that I have seen recommended (note I do not have these, so cannot vouch for them):

Dagne Dover tote

Baggalini Stanza Baggalini Stanza

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.