Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Consultant

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by choijw
just replace your stuff every 1-2 years (at the slightest sign of wear/tear, something loose, etc). samsonite stuff only costs like 100 bucks.
sounds like fun. buy cheap and replace. this is a terrible approach ... to everything - luggage, clothes, furniture, appliances, hobbies
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Originally Posted by choijw
just replace your stuff every 1-2 years (at the slightest sign of wear/tear, something loose, etc). samsonite stuff only costs like 100 bucks.
That is assuming, of course, that one would be able to see such wear and tear and be in a convenient place/position to replace their luggage.

I have plenty of scuffs and scratches. But when the "cheap stuff" breaks, it breaks, with little or no warning.

I like knowing that my stuff isn't going to break when I'm abroad, and far away from any sort of luggage store.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by edsh
Until your weekly travels amount to enough to give you boarding priority with your airline of choice, you'll be in lower priority boarding groups. Airline bins fill up quickly - especially during the coming peak travel months. Pack light and use soft sided bags or you'll find your stuff being checked and end up waiting by the baggage carousel. Use each week to re-evaluate what you really need to bring and keep reducing until you find your bare minimum. Size and weight are the two greatest challenges you will face. Using that approach it's probably best to buy a cheaper bag now and then spend on a nice one when you've got your habits nailed down.

I'm in the same Monday / Thursday routine as you. I limit myself to a small Tumi carryon duffel, it's light (which is extremely important) and easy to cram into overhead bins, even after flight attendants claim the bins are full.
What he said. Figure out what you need like and then look for a quality version.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by Trauma1
I have plenty of scuffs and scratches. But when the "cheap stuff" breaks, it breaks, with little or no warning.
and when "expensive stuff" breaks, it breaks with no warning too. w/t is never covered under warranty. buy middle of the line stuff and replace, never buy the most expensive stuff.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deniah
Noone here pushed for branding. But rather, for good quality.
Actually, reread Mellonc's initial contribution to this thread, copied below for posterity and bolded by me. This is what folks were reacting to.

Originally Posted by Mellonc
Black Tumi - Thats what most consultants get. You'll write it off as job expense.

Unless of of course you want to be a little different. At your age and the stage of your career, however, you are probably more worried about not screwing up the firm's partners' image. Right now you have to fit in with the culture and the look. At least I hope you have good shoes and are not running around with douche bag stuff like Kenneth Cole, or Aldo.

If you need some style advice check styleforum.net.
We get it - you're fancy and you're cool and you hang out courtside at Lakers games because you're fancy and cool.

The fact is, most people have a budget. Tumi and B&R stuff is good quality, but a stretch for many people. It's also not appreciably more durable or (personal opinion) that much better looking than many other mid-range brands.

Clients (and partners, for that matter) won't think you're a loser or "douche bag" because you wear Kenneth Cole shirts and Aldo shoes. They won't think more highly of you because you wear designer label items or bespoke suits.

They'll think you're a douche bag if you act like a douche bag (e.g., putting other people down because of the brand of clothes they wear or luggage they use).

Like I've said, I've bought low and mid range luggage and haven't had a problem with it in the last 4-5 years or whatever it is.

I will say that checking bags is an unusual occurrence for most consultants I work with. It just tends to take too much time on the front and back ends, and you know how in love with efficiency consultants are

Bottom line - it's your money and you decide the value proposition of your purchases. If you think it's worth spending $500+ on one Tumi bag, go for it. If you'd rather spend 20% of that on a good quality piece, that's your prerogative. Ditto the clothing thing.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:19 pm

I stand by my comment about Aldo and Kenneth Cole. Let's also throw in ...., Kim Kardashian Perfumes and toilet water (or Eau De Toilette), Bruno Magli and a bunch other stuff to throw money away in.

Perhaps you never ran into a guy standing next you decked out in a suit so low rise that one had to keep on adjusting his pants along with smelling like Deep Woods Off (the combo smell of cologne, mouthwash, deodorant and hair wax) We call that a douche bag.

That's something entirely different than what some other poster brought up. In fact something like inexpensive (not cheap) Target might even be sensible cuz they are price/quality ratio is actually pretty good (they carry a lower line of SwissArmy stuff) The real douche stuff is actually somewhat expensive which makes it even more douche!!!

The comment I made earlier about folks at my firm trying to buy Tumi stuff was based on truth (Tumi actually used to have a good warranty). When you come out of an MBA school and join a prestigious consulting firm, you are really just trying to fit in and not upset the balance ...... so to speak. At the end of the day, it's not the American Idol and you don't want people doing solo performances. We want the team to gel. Also these are guys/gals who got straight A's in school and/or excelled in other parts of their lives to recognize the difference between good taste vs. simple pop culture trendy BS.

So most guys/gals at my firm try to play it safe and try to buy stuff that their immediate bosses carry around. Such as Tumi's of the world, the Hickey's, Allen Edmonds and so forth. And yes, most of these guys/girls have 2 or 3 shades of gray in their suit colors and a bunch of white shirts from Brooks Brothers....... It's that boring consultant a la Mitt Romney'ish look but definitely not douche.

One last point, you can go to Tumi Outlet stores, or Hartmans outlet stores, Nordstrom Rack and CharlesTyrwhitt.com to pick up stuff at good prices. I'd bet you'd pay less than what you'd pay for a full priced douche stuff....

ps. Court-side seats at the Lakers game???? Seriously??? Court-side?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mellonc
The comment I made earlier about folks at my firm trying to buy Tumi stuff was based on truth (Tumi actually used to have a good warranty). When you come out of an MBA school and join a prestigious consulting firm, you are really just trying to fit in and not upset the balance ...... so to speak. At the end of the day, it's not the American Idol and you don't want people doing solo performances. We want the team to gel. Also these are guys/gals who got straight A's in school and/or excelled in other parts of their lives to recognize the difference between good taste vs. simple pop culture trendy BS.

So most guys/gals at my firm try to play it safe and try to buy stuff that their immediate bosses carry around. Such as Tumi's of the world, the Hickey's, Allen Edmonds and so forth. And yes, most of these guys/girls have 2 or 3 shades of gray in their suit colors and a bunch of white shirts from Brooks Brothers....... It's that boring consultant a la Mitt Romney'ish look but definitely not douche.
Without trying to sound like a jerk, the focus on brands is inconsistent with my experience at a "prestigious" consulting firm (as you call it). So long as your clothing is clean, it fits well and it doesn't have loud patterns or unusual designs, you will be okay. Even finding the source of comparison would be difficult - everyone from analysts to partners is in the same room, so very different levels of income and focus on clothing throughout.

In the sense of what looks to wear, I agree with you. For business casual, with most people I work with you'll blend right in with the "exciting" combo of of a blue or checked shirt and charcoal or black pants.

To the OP, I'd focus on the following things (based on my experience, YMMV):
1. Get a roller bag. The walk to rental car terminals can be quite long and your shoulders will thank you for not having to carry your bag
2. Find out the dress code before the study. I've seen suits, just a tie, business casual, casual, etc. I'd argue here that it's better to fit in than to show up over/under-dressed - both are noticeable!
3. Don't check your bag - the poster who mentioned their bag coming off the carousel would not be very popular with my colleagues. Think "Up in the Air" - nobody checks their bag
4. Bring a few extra pieces of clothing in case your trip is extended. Many times I've found out at the last minute that I needed to spend an extra night; checking back into the same hotel at 9p does not leave much time for dry cleaning
5. If you are a gym goer and travel to the same city, check with your hotel on whether you can leave gym shoes/clothing. Keeping this at the hotel will free up a lot of space in your bag each week
6. Check the weather - it sounds stupid but pay attention to your destination's weather, not your home city's. We have had a number of folks pack clothing suitable for the latter, not the former

Last edited by Phipps; Jun 6, 2012 at 12:01 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I agree do not buy cheap. 30+ years ago I tried this route and it failed for me. While you may be thinking carry on the day will come when the overheads are full and you will have to gate check. And then it helps to have a better made bag, because you want to retrieve it in one piece. I have been at the carousel when things come out in pieces and it is not pretty.
But, I am not saying go but the most expensive either, look through these posts and you will find many excellent recommendations. You may also find that depending on where and for how long your trip will be determines your luggage requirements. Twice a year I do a Australia and Japan trip which always makes for interesting packing (Winter/Summer Casual/Suit and Tie), for this I check baggage a suit-er and roller, just works for me.
If you search my posts you will find I own a number (greater than 7 pieces of Tumi), which I love. But, I also have not purchased a new piece this century, previously they did offer great value for the money (IMO).
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
I've been very happily using a Delsey X-Pert Lite 2-wheel carry-on for the past three years. Multiple trips to Middle East, within UK and to Japan and it's stood up just fine. Not the lightest bag out there, but good looking and versatile. If you can get Delsey at wholesale, I would certainly go for them.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

wow, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think the smart move here is to go with the Delsey for now, and then see how it goes. I believe they are good enough quality that it will be fine for the first year or so. I have my Tumi Briefcase, so I should still be alright

What does everyone think about this piece of luggage? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/d...iter?ID=522343

Obviously, I will not be paying that price as I can get it wholesale. I know that this is on the larger side for certain flights (regional ones). I don't know where I will be going yet, so I think I may prefer to take my chances with the convenience of the larger bag and extra room than a smaller one, but what do you guys think?

Also, some of you mentioned leaving stuff at the hotel. How does this work? I have heard that some consultants will become friendly with the hotel staff and actually just keep the same room week to week if it is not a very busy hotel. Also, I have heard of certain hotel staff allowing the consultant to check out and then check back in so they can rack up more rewards. Is this common?

Thanks guys.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

To further clarify my question above: What is the "top end" Delsey Line that will be the largest I can fit as a carry on. 2 wheeled nylon seems like the best option.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by jss381
wow, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think the smart move here is to go with the Delsey for now, and then see how it goes. I believe they are good enough quality that it will be fine for the first year or so. I have my Tumi Briefcase, so I should still be alright

What does everyone think about this piece of luggage? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/d...iter?ID=522343

Obviously, I will not be paying that price as I can get it wholesale. I know that this is on the larger side for certain flights (regional ones). I don't know where I will be going yet, so I think I may prefer to take my chances with the convenience of the larger bag and extra room than a smaller one, but what do you guys think?

Also, some of you mentioned leaving stuff at the hotel. How does this work? I have heard that some consultants will become friendly with the hotel staff and actually just keep the same room week to week if it is not a very busy hotel. Also, I have heard of certain hotel staff allowing the consultant to check out and then check back in so they can rack up more rewards. Is this common?

Thanks guys.
Delsey will do fine. Good choice.

Many hotels have a storage room for their regular customers. You could for example have a bag stored there with shirts, shoes, suits and toiletries. The heavy stuff. You can even leave them your dirty shirts and shoes when you check out. They will take care of it. And when you come back, fresh shirts, shines suits and a steamed suit await you. A nice tip will facilitate this.

Now, I have not heard of the multiple checkin/out deal. I want to know more about that, even though I am not a consultant.

BTW, always trim down your packed good as much as you can (read sticky) and take the smallest bag it will fit in. That is the main procedure. If you do that, you don't even have to worry about all the pesky and different regulations airlines throw at you like stones.

Till
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: status free since 2017
From one to another...

OP, I went into consulting right after school and can understand your position.
My travel has always been M-F type as well. I'd describe my (our?) work more as extra hands on the dirty/tough project rather than "consulting consultants".
Whether you are an MBA or not, you will be doing grunge work as a newcomer rather than making sales pitch to client CEO/CIO/CFO so hold on to the thought of breaking bank for "job expenses".

Luggae: If Tumi fits your price range, go for it otherwise any lightweight and sturdy roll aboard will do. Brand names don't matter. Your partner won't care. As long as you don't have a duct-taped handle, its perfectly fine.

Clothes/Shoes - Dress sharp. Dress professional. Polish your shoes and iron your shirt. Keep a suit for days when partner is on client site (unless everyone is wearing a suit on daily basis). Noone cares about more.

More on shoes: I struggled here for a while. I wear the same pair for entire week, at work and outside work. So versatility and comfort are most important. If you workout, pack a pair of sneakers. Feel free to pack several pairs but it just adds on to the luggage.

Nothing is douchy. Everything is permitted.

Cheers
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans

well......... there are some bags masquerading as fashionable but definitely douchy..... like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-M...004354&sr=1-17

or this one

http://www.amazon.com/Calvin-Klein-L...004354&sr=1-15

or this one

http://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-Cole-R...9005204&sr=1-7

and here are examples of what I consider to be QUALITY BUT INEXPENSIVE.

http://www.stopoverstore.com/product...nid/387/pid/85

or this

http://www.wayfair.com/Ricardo-Bever...id=FR49-ZS1210

Last edited by Mellonc; Jun 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:28 pm

Regarding shoes

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
More on shoes: I struggled here for a while. I wear the same pair for entire week, at work and outside work.

For shoes i wear navy new balance sneakers on my way out with shoe laces somewhat loose (easy to take off and on). When I land I usually switch out to my dress shoes in the car ride over to the office and put the sneakers back where my dress shoes was in the back of my briefcase which contains my 311 bag and extra set of socks and underwear in case something goes wrong with my luggage. I also have another pair of dress shoes in the luggage to rotate during the week. I find my feet stinks less that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.