Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travelpro warranty - Is this a defect or wear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelpro warranty - Is this a defect or wear?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:21 am

I found this forum thread while searching for the location of a Travelpro warranty repair shop. After reading this thread, and given that the shop is 65 miles away, I decided to call first. As with other posters, I was shocked by what I was told. The way it was described, the TravelPro warranty doesn't cover any wear or broken items, just manufacturer defects. I asked how could something be defective and yet not break. How would a person discover the design defect if not with the product breaking and/or wearing out too quickly? It seems like they set up the warranty interpretation to essentially never have to pay any warranty claims.

I feel like I was misled and lied to by TravelPro. I'm not sure what to do, but part of me wants to be sure the whole world knows about TravelPro's crazy interpretation of their warranty, which to me, almost means they don't have a warranty at all. I don't want others to throw away good money on a product from a manufacturer like this.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by slackman
I found this forum thread while searching for the location of a Travelpro warranty repair shop. After reading this thread, and given that the shop is 65 miles away, I decided to call first. As with other posters, I was shocked by what I was told. The way it was described, the TravelPro warranty doesn't cover any wear or broken items, just manufacturer defects. I asked how could something be defective and yet not break. How would a person discover the design defect if not with the product breaking and/or wearing out too quickly? It seems like they set up the warranty interpretation to essentially never have to pay any warranty claims.

I feel like I was misled and lied to by TravelPro. I'm not sure what to do, but part of me wants to be sure the whole world knows about TravelPro's crazy interpretation of their warranty, which to me, almost means they don't have a warranty at all. I don't want others to throw away good money on a product from a manufacturer like this.
Welcome to Flyertalk. Sorry about the circumstances that brought you here. If you hang around there is a lot of useful information here and generally helpful and friendly people.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by quan98
You're way overthinking it for the $25 offered!

An used bag is worth whatever the market is willing to pay for it. Realistically, $25 is not a bad offer given Crew 9 is the current iteration.

Nevertheless, this really crystallizes the warranty tiers in my mind:

No matter what equivalent:
Briggs Riley
Red Oxx
Victorinox Tourbach line

Relatively generous vendor warranties
Costco Kirkland Signature luggage
Nordstrom Tumi
Ebags
Travelpro Platinum line
1) I thought TP Platinum was a no-matter-what
2) Costco IS essentially a no-matter-what, because of Costco's refund policies.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:22 am

TravelPro Fraud

I came to this site after searching about Travelpro warranty after I was denied a repair. I was shocked to see all the negative comments, and wish I had seen it earlier. Taking a premium price for sub-par product with a "lifetime" warranty that is full of exclusions is fraud. I wish someone would make a class action lawsuit. Never again will I be fooled, and I will spread the word.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:53 pm

TP Worst warranty ever

I agree with others that said TravelPro's warranty is no good. They basically classify everything as "wear" and basically don't cover anything. I never had this problem with Samsonite. I've had Samsonite for like 30 years and they fix everything under warranty with no questions asked. I even sent one out for repair recently. They didn't have the part in stock so they even waived the shipping fee because it would take a while. I guess I will go back.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:03 pm

I have the same issue!

Hi All,

This is my correspondence to TravelPro...lets see how it turns out. If they will not cover the repairs, I will never buy TravelPro products again. Why pay a premium and not get the promised warranty!?

"I purchased a TravelPro Crew Luggage in 2012 with the understating that I am paying a premium for a trusted quality brand that backs up its value by a limited lifetime warranty from all product and workmanship defects.

Today, I stopped by a TravelPro approved repair facility in Manhattan Beach, CA to get my luggage repaired as the zipper stopped closing which, in my understanding, would be considered a defect in the zipper and thus covered under the warranty.

Unfortunately, the owner informed me that if the luggage is older than 3 years, the warranty will not cover the repairs. This did not make sense per my understanding of the lifetime warranty rules on your website so I called TravelPro customer service. The representative said that the repair facilities are trained in the TravelPro warranty rules and that if he says its not covered than it must be so.

The way TravelPro's limited lifetime warranty is applied seems deceptive and doesn't truly represent the limited warranty description listed on TravelproŽ. I hope all this has been a misunderstanding and we can remedy this by honoring the warranty which states "In the unlikely event that a problem occurs with your luggage as a result of a defect in materials or workmanship, we will repair your bag (or replace it, if repair is not possible) at our expense.""
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:17 pm

Fixed!

Just wanted to follow up on my post a couple of days ago...after email customer service manager, they have graciously honored the warranty. Thank you TravelPro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.