Wiki Posts
Search

Largest Capacity 22" Roller

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Largest Capacity 22" Roller

I would have thought this would be an easy one, but it turns out not so much.

What soft-sided bag offers the most internal capacity in a 22in wheeled carryon? Theoretically, it would be a simple rectangluar wheeled bag. But what I am finding is that many bags use a smaller main compartment and then attach all sorts of pockets - not only is this inneficient spacewise, but also adds layers of materials. Many bags have heavy sidewalls or take up a lot of space inside with poor engineering of the handle and wheel structures. I was looking at the Lipault, which are soft and have maximum length and width, but are only 7.5 inches high. Those that do seem to be the full 9 or 10in seeem to be 21in bags instead.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:48 pm

I'm also looking for something like this... did you ever find anything?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:00 pm

Can't vouch for the specific internal volume, but I'm a big fan of a 22" Briggs and Riley upright (lifetime warranty and I am on year 10 and roughly 500K BIS miles).
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:29 pm

Thanks for the advise. Does that bag have a folding garment section for dress shirts,etc?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the largest volume using 22", or any other single dimension is a cubic space. however, the bag checkers i see at airports want a rectangular bag. they seem to only be 9-10" thick. i also do not think a 22" x22x22 bag comes close to fitting into an overhead.

back to drawingboard.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF CL
If you are serious about maximizing capacity I think you need to ditch the wheels. I know, not what you are looking for....

22" by 22" by 22" would fail the max linear dimensions test. Non-starter.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Size-wize, you are going ot have to be within the 22x14x9 size. That is a given.

Theoretically, the greatest capacity would be from a simple rectangular bag. However, in all practicality, you have to start taking away space due to things like the wheels (which eat up not only interior volume but also mean the bag has to be a little bit shorter for clearance) as well as handles. Plus, many bag designers end up going with a design that is not completely rectangular - they have a shorter main rectangular compartment, and then put pockets on top. The pockets add height, but do not maximize the use of that height.

What I am looking for, is what bag, available to purchase, providez the most internal volume for the given 22x14x9 size? International Traveler has a bag that comes close - but it is not the full 9 inches in height. Plus, you loose internal volume due to the handle mechanism and wheels. Personally, I just purchased a Timbuck2 Checkpoint, which is not perfectly rectangular (soi not 100% maximum) but neatly integrates the handle mechanism and wheels into the back of the bag itself, maximizing internal volume.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
the largest volume using 22", or any other single dimension is a cubic space. however, the bag checkers i see at airports want a rectangular bag. they seem to only be 9-10" thick. i also do not think a 22" x22x22 bag comes close to fitting into an overhead.

back to drawingboard.
Aww man. I was hoping a 22" cube would fit in an over head as a carry-on.

Darn.

Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
The rolling bags from the Rick Steves travel store are just a simple 2500 cubic inch space with no encumbrances. Currently 20% off. 22" including wheels.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...rentId=8&id=42

Mine is about 7 years old and starting to show some age.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, US, CO
I calculate (22x14x9) the potential largest capacity of a 22" carry-on as 2772 cu. in. Obviously with handle and wheels, any such bag will be lower. The simple question is what is the largest capacity (comes closest to 2772) wheeled carry-on currently available?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
eBags TLS 22" Convertible on rollers - very closed at 2,545 c.i. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10186877

I use the non-wheeled version that's rated at about 3,200 c.i. unexpanded, going on year 5 and still holding up well as it's only been gate-checked a few times. Great with its lifetime warranty and price-for-value.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Here's the deal - there are not huge differences in the external dimensions. The factors that affect overall capacity, however, are more in line with the design and structure of the bag. I have a Motherlode, and the reason why that does not work well for me is that so much of the available capacity is taken up by the handle mechanism design and too many pockets and weird curves.

For handle design, I love the Timbuk2 style with the handle on the very back of the bag. I have a Checkpoint Roller, but they made that one a tad too large so it doesn't fit into new sizers. They screwed up the Co-pilot by separating the top and bottom half of the bag. All those extra pockets and organizers take up usable space, btw.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: US Gold
I've had a Quickload duffle roller from LL Bean for probably 11 years now, and it's holding up extremely well:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63923...-duffle-medium

It's 8oz lighter than the eBags one above and claims a capacity of 3114. I think mine, being an older one, is only 9in high, but in any case, it has external straps to tighten it up. I've had no trouble carrying it on wherever. it does have pockets, but I find that useful. My only niggles are:

- the wheels are rather loud, especially the last year or two.

- the internal straps on one side lack cinches and are rather short so you often have to dig them out from under the clothes

- there is no side handle.

As against that it is working very well for me in every other respect, and I love the bright orange lining (of my green bag), which makes it easy to see everything.

wg
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:13 pm

The 21 inch Ebags Mini for international and the 22 inch for domestic are both on sale right now and are by far the best I have used over the last three years. Great colors, expandable, and everything, including the wheels (which can easily be replaced), are guaranteed for life for no extra cost. Watch the video for both on ebags.com...you will see what I mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.