Wiki Posts
Search

ebags Mother Lode or Red Oxx Air Boss?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Thanks so much Bernard!

It is wonderful to hear from you and to know that our posts are noticed.

I have many Ebags items including your packing cubes which I think are great as they are both machine washable and light in weight. (I hang them to dry).

I own and use a great deal of luggage. Hard use! I could field test it for you!

I am a very loyal supporter of Red Oxx bags made in Montana USA but there are times when I need a wheeled bag that can hold up to hard use and being checked. My 25 inch Mother Load Junior wheeled duffle bag gets a lot of grief from airlines. So far so good!

I love the fact that your bags are so well thought out. Bravo for that!

You will find that many of us have enough luggage to open our own shop and are continually seeking perfection.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Nov 17, 2011 at 8:44 am
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:02 pm

Thanks and welcome Bernard!

Glad to see you on FlyerTalk.

I recently purchased the TLS Workstation Backpack and love it. I use it to carry laptop, books and workout gear to/from the office. I've also used it for short weekend trips to carry laptop/iPad plus clothes. The design is very well thought out with a lot of versatility.

I wonder if you have any plans to bring out a smaller version of the Motherlode Weekender? The Weekender, despite the name, is just too big for me even for 7-10 day trips. I would love to see a version that would be around 20"x14"x7.5".
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Welcome Bernard

I'm another owner of a number of ebags own brand products and I've posted a here about my experiences with them. I especially like the 3-piece set of padded packing pouches and the Crew Cooler II, the latter being excellent for taking drinks and snacks for train travel. My TLS bags (I have 3) are my go-to luggage now, and I'm like a lot of people here - a luggage freak with many many sets of everything.

Bernard's videos on the TLS series bags are indispensable for buying bags sight unseen. I was really nervous the first time I purchased a TLS bag, since I hadn't been able to see the construction and other details, but I watched the videos several times and took the plunge. The videos are very well done, thorough, and demonstrate features in detail. I would've missed some of the bags' design features if I hadn't seen the videos.

I've been wishing and hoping for a lightly padded laptop tote to match the TLS colors. Thanks, Bernard, for your commentary.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bernard = videos! Thanks Dianne47 Thanks Bernard!

I watched those videos many times especially after getting my Junior 25 wheeled duffle and couldn't figure out what to do with that stick thingie. Finally learned how it works.

I have many of the packing cubes as I color code my packing and actually store things like underwear in the appropriate cubes ready to go at all times.

No guess work and I don't loose things in dark hotel rooms.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Hi all,

I thought that I'd give everybody an update.

I couldn't decide on which bag to get so I took the easy way out. I got both. Well...kind of.

I bought a Sky Train instead of the Air Boss. It seems to fit my needs better than the Air Boss. I think I'll prefer the two larger compartments on the Sky Train to the three smaller ones on the Air Boss.

Besides, the Sky Train will give me the chance to do a better apples to apples comparison to the Mother Lode because the two bags are very similar.

I'm leaving for Europe on Saturday for two weeks on a business trip. The Sky Train will accompany me on this trip. On my next trip I'll carry the Mother Lode.

Wish me luck.

Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I've decided to go ahead and give me first impressions of the two bags in advance of actually using them. Obviously, you learn things in using a bag that you will never discover in advance. Nevertheless, I thought I'd share some pics and descriptions anyway.

These are the two bags, side by side, opened to their main compartments (red is Red Oxx). As you can see, both bags are about the same size. Interesting that the Mother Lode looks much more like a backpack, the Red Oxx opens vertically like a backpack would.

These shots are close ups of the material and the logos. There is much debate about the Red Oxx logo. I got this bag in coal partly because I don't like the red logo on the black bag. The eBags logo is nice and understated, the opposite of the Red Oxx logo.

The fabric on both bags seems very similar. Both feel like they are the same 'weight'. The Red Oxx fabric feels a bit more canvas like. I apologize for the lack of industry jargon.

I like the compression strap system on the Mother Lode (ML) better. They actually have a little clip that you can slid the strap into which causes the straps to compress straight down rather than from the sides. Assuming it works, this is pretty cool. Bernard does a good job of demonstrating this on his video. I also like the fact that the ML has compression straps on the outside of the bag.

With the exception of the hardware, the strap system on the ML is much better. I was surprised at how poor the RO backpack straps are. No curvature and no sternum strap. Having spent 11 years in the infantry, I know something about backpack straps. With that said, I don't intend on using these bags as a backpack very often. I will be using a Tom Bihn strap on both. The RO hardware is impressive though.

This is what the handles on the ML look like. Difficult to see how well they are stitched as the stitching is hidden. You get a good look at the expander zipper pull and the zippers in this shot.

This is the RO handle. VERY thick rubber handle. It's not pretty but it sure is tough and very comfortable to hold. Notice also the zipper covers which help to keep things dry on the inside if you're caught in the rain or snow.

This is the other main compartment in the RO. Not much to say here, just lots of space.

This is where the ML and RO really differentiate themselves. The ML has no equivalent compartment. Instead it has a whole bunch of smaller compartments, none of which open up so wide.

Two pockets, the one on top would be a good place to put rain gear or perhaps some wet or soiled clothing. You can also see at the top of this picture the little pocket that opens up to reveal a water bottle holder. Don't think I would ever use this, but who knows.

Another little pocket. Not very large and just a thin layer of plastic separating it from the pocket below it. Good place for travel docs.

This is a slot on the very top of the bag which is designed to hold a laptop. I travel with a laptop and will find this pocket very convenient.

A word on the zippers. The RO zippers are much better. I was surprised at how easily they opened and closed. In the RO videos it looks like the demonstrator is really yanking hard on the zippers. They really slide very smoothly. However, when you are not pulling on the monkey fists they lock up firm. Not sure how this works but it's very cool.

Both bags weigh 3.6 pounds, without the included straps. I've already mentioned that I do not plan on using the included straps. If you're wondering, the ML strap is not very good at all. The Claw is much better.

In conclusion, both bags seem to be very well made. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the Mother Lode, especially given the price. I can really see myself using the Mother Lode more frequently for shorter trips of 2 - 5 days. It would make a great one bag trip bag with the laptop compartment and extra small storage spaces. The Red Oxx, with its two large compartments, is more of a stuff it full type of bag than the ML.

For my two week trip to Europe starting next week I'll be 'two-bagging' it. The Red Oxx will be my primary and I'll also carry a very small bag for my laptop and other electronic gear and paperwork.

If you would like photos of anything in particular let me know.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
There is no question that the Red Oxx is the better bag. Better built, better warranty, more practical. The only question is where you value the price/quality ration. Also, Red Oxx is an extremely socially responsible company.

Also, coil zippers as opposed to chain zippers are far more likely to break at the point of the zipper pull, and easier to open with a pencil or other device.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
I came back to work in Europe last week after 3 weeks of holiday/vacation at my home in the US.

I somehow ended up with 5 pieces of luggage for the return trip [started with 2] and lots of other holiday gifts and purchases.

So I carried on a Tumi Duffel, a Brookstone Duffel; and checked in a roller and packed my Air Boss full and then placed the Air Boss in my Mother Lode with other stuff and checked it in also.

The Mother Lode is a beast and those backpack straps made my walking from the garage to the ticket counter somewhat bearable in MIAs longgggg People Mover-to-Ticket Counter odyssey.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for letting us know.

Originally Posted by SectionChief
I came back to work in Europe last week after 3 weeks of holiday/vacation at my home in the US.

I somehow ended up with 5 pieces of luggage for the return trip [started with 2] and lots of other holiday gifts and purchases.

So I carried on a Tumi Duffel, a Brookstone Duffel; and checked in a roller and packed my Air Boss full and then placed the Air Boss in my Mother Lode with other stuff and checked it in also.

The Mother Lode is a beast and those backpack straps made my walking from the garage to the ticket counter somewhat bearable in MIAs longgggg People Mover-to-Ticket Counter odyssey.
Air Boss into Mother Lode is an interesting variation.

The quality of zippers means a great deal to us as we've had to throw away a lot of non-Red Oxxluggage with broken zippers over the years, but no failers on any Red Oxx items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.