Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Briggs and Riley vs Tumi Garment Bags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Briggs and Riley vs Tumi Garment Bags

New here last week and posted some of this in another thread re: Hartmann.

We recently had AA destroy two Hartmann tweed wheeled garment bags. One was the 2004 version of their 42 " mobile carry on garment bag and the other was an older larger wheeled "women's" garment bag.

AA has offered to replace both bags but Hartmann no longer has direct replacements for either bag. Their new carry on garment bag is considerably smaller and looks and feels cheaper. The larger bag has been replaced with a 50" wheeled bag that is HUGE that has nowhere near the flexibility of the old bag.

I've pretty much ruled out replacing them with the newer Hartmann bags, they feel much more cheaply made than my older bags and have lost many of the best features of the old bags.

That said, I am comparing the Tumi wheeled garment bags to the Briggs and Rileys. I can actually get three B&R bags with the allowance I have but am just not sure since in all honesty, until reading this forum I had never even heard of them before. Both companies seem to have their pros and cons and I have been leaning to the B&R bags but keep going back to Tumi because of it's reputation.

Does anyone have any hands on experience that they can share? I need to make a decision soon.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:04 pm

A couple of things in telegram style.

1. Garment bags, particularly the wheeled kind, are not space and weight efficient packing solutions. Forego garment bags if at all possible.

2. The only time when it is not possible is when you are absolutely unable to learn how to pack or when you are literally pressed for every second when packing. Since you know how to book a ticket and get through an airport, you are intelligent enough to learn how to pack.

3. If you are checking these bags, the answer is super easy. Choose BR. They have a no-matter what warranty, life-time. For checked luggage that is SUPER valuable. They are thus superior to Tumi in this decisive criterion.

4. In all other regards they are equal or better than Tumi (I own products from both companies). The only way they are inferior to Tumi is brand recognition because of lesser marketing.

5. This means you pay less for a better product with a better warranty because the company doesn't spend so much on marketing.

6. This also means the bag is less likely to get pilfered or stolen because it flies under the radar much more than a Tumi, which screams "Expensive luggage, steal me!".

7. OK. I found another point BR might be regarded as inferior. They don't have as many lines and are not as fashion oriented. But that is probably not an issue here, since you are most likely comparing BR Baseline to Tumi Alpha.

Till
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA,WN, Hilton Honors, Marriott
First, what tfar said.

Second, I just bought a 20 inch B&R Ascend, and it has the best design for a bag it's size that I've seen in 40 years of professional travel. The clever design touches and the warranty make it a clear "best value".
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
B&R = Made in China
Tumi = Made in Thailand
Rimowa = Made in Germany
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:15 pm

Made in....

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
B&R = Made in China
Tumi = Made in Thailand
Rimowa = Made in Germany
Are you advocating Rimowa? We enjoy our B&R luggage.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:46 pm

Guy, your love for German products honors you. I feel the same way, being German and all. I actually own the big 32" multiwheel Topas by Rimowa. Love it.

BUT, the BR things I've owned and seen are just as well made. Chapeau to the Chinese! And they have a better warranty than Rimowa. I do hear though that Rimowas international customer service is fantastic. They have centers in many a metropolis around the globe. Need a new wheel when in HK, you got it in 24h. Quite amazing the stories I read.

Also, if Tumi shouts "Steal me!", Rimowa uses a megaphone to be heard.

When I check my Rimowa, it is opened in 50% of the times (supposedly by TSA). I say that because only in another 50% of the times does anyone leave a note. I've not had anything missing this far. Guess my stuff is not the typical TSA guys taste or size.

My other luggage is opened with a significantly lower frequency.

What I must say, though, is that if you need to transport heavy and fragile things a Rimowa is wonderful. Even when loaded to 32kg (or more) it rolls effortlessly and is pushed with just two fingers. Amazing engineering.

@hotindallas I hope you weren't offended by my tongue-in-cheek reply of "intelligent enough to know learn how to pack". If you are interested at all in learning it, please do check out the packing masterthread stickied at the top of this forum. When I learned the tricks of proper packing it has changed the way I travel BIG TIME. Faster, lighter, more efficient, more comfortable, even cheaper because I now can live indefinitely from a 22" roller or equivalent duffel. No more lost bags, no more pilfered bags, no more waiting at the baggage claim. Love it.

And even when I do have so much things to take that I need to check a bag, my goods are packed very neatly and arrive in tip top shape usually.

I do own one really nice rolling garment bag (Samsonite ProDLX). The thing is about as big as a 24" suitcase. It fits three suits, a couple of pants, sweaters, t's etc. But fitting shoes is a hassle and overall the packing takes longer. It is also very heavy. I use it now mostly for car travel and if I know I will go somewhere, where the conditions are a bit dusty and not super comfortable (e.g. visiting an artists studio and staying there - I'm an art historian). Usually there is no closet. The garment bag then serves as my closet and I hang it over a door or on a hook on the wall.

Cheers from the hot Austin,

Till
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'd go with B&R over Tumi every time. They have the same weaknesses (price, weight, looks), while B&R is the cheaper of the two with the better warranty.

That said, I won't buy either one of them.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
B&R = Made in China
Tumi = Made in Thailand
Rimowa = Made in Germany
Red Oxx = Made in the USA

(and the plastic Rimowa stuff is made in Canada)

Originally Posted by tfar

Also, if Tumi shouts "Steal me!", Rimowa uses a megaphone to be heard.
Maybe in Europe, but I think Tumi is probably the more recognized brand in the US. That said, Rimowa is much nicer stuff.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Maybe in Europe, but I think Tumi is probably the more recognized brand in the US. That said, Rimowa is much nicer stuff.
Certainly the more recognized brand in the US. But one thing is recognizing the brand, the other thing is quickly recognizing the bag as belonging to said brand. Black Tumi looks like anything else made of nylon almost. Rimowa alu luggage looks like expensive luggage and really pops out. I mean you don't need to know the brand to know that this is good stuff. Even the Limbo and Salso lines are easily recognized and look flashier than many Tumi bags.

For a black Tumi a "villain" would almost have to check the label. A Rimowa he can spot from 200m and prepare a little "alone time" with your suitcase.

I really like what the German TSA equivalent does. When they open your suitcase it has a two-page form with TWO real signatures and the names of the people who opened your luggage spelled out in clear. It will also tell you what caught their suspicion and if anything at all has been removed.

That's what I call good accountability. Yet, we were talking about garment bags initially.

Till
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:26 am

I must echo tfar's comments and would like to add one suggestion.

Rather than asking us what kind of garment bag you want, you may want to tell us what you are intending to pack. I've packed 3 suits in a B&R Transcend 24" - if you are a small size, then you can easily pack 2 suits in a 20" Transcend.

I can't say that I've gotten the "checkless" packing down when travelling with multiple suits, but I'm basically only checking multiple suits these days.

Tell us what you want to pack and we'll advise you at to the type of bag.

BTW, the location of manufacture really isn't important. Quality control and warranty are important. I've seen some junk come out of Germany and some real quality coming out of the far east. As an interesting note, the BMW 335's coming from South Africa appear to have fewer high pressure fuel pump issues than those coming out of Munich.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

@hotindallas I hope you weren't offended by my tongue-in-cheek reply of "intelligent enough to know learn how to pack". If you are interested at all in learning it, please do check out the packing masterthread stickied at the top of this forum. When I learned the tricks of proper packing it has changed the way I travel BIG TIME. Faster, lighter, more efficient, more comfortable, even cheaper because I now can live indefinitely from a 22" roller or equivalent duffel. No more lost bags, no more pilfered bags, no more waiting at the baggage claim. Love it.

And even when I do have so much things to take that I need to check a bag, my goods are packed very neatly and arrive in tip top shape usually.

I do own one really nice rolling garment bag (Samsonite ProDLX). The thing is about as big as a 24" suitcase. It fits three suits, a couple of pants, sweaters, t's etc. But fitting shoes is a hassle and overall the packing takes longer. It is also very heavy. I use it now mostly for car travel and if I know I will go somewhere, where the conditions are a bit dusty and not super comfortable (e.g. visiting an artists studio and staying there - I'm an art historian). Usually there is no closet. The garment bag then serves as my closet and I hang it over a door or on a hook on the wall.

Cheers from the hot Austin,

Till
----------------
No offense taken; I actually am quite a good packer from years of business travel. The garment bags are more for leisure trips and vacations with the wife. Outside of suits and dress slacks, virtually everything we both own is 100% cotton or linen that doesn't travel well when folded. We've found through the years that hanging our shirts/blouses and other cotton items etc gets them to the destination virtually wrinkle free. We've used garment bags for this purpose for so long that packing them is a breeze.

One thing I really like about the Tumi bags is that they have a zipper compartment in the floor of the bag that utilizes the wheel compartment space and is a great place for shoes and toiletries because it is essentially "free" space. The B&R bags have the removable fold out that is great for long dresses. Both bags have their pluses and minuses as far as functionality and neither is a direct replacement functionally for the two Hartmann bags that we lost.

Everyone keeps talking about stolen bags but in close to 40 years of travel with Hartmann bags I've never had one lost or stolen. Maybe we're just lucky but that has been our experience. Whichever way we go I am going to miss the easy identification in baggage claim that Hartmann offers. I'm very sad to see their quality and functionality slipping.

Thanks for the help and advice. I now need to consult my bride to see if she cares one way or the other; I know she has ruled out Hartmann which makes it a little easier.

Last edited by hotindallas; Aug 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:52 am

I am knew to this thread and to traveling. I noticed you mentioned packing techniques and posted this; "please do check out the packing masterthread stickied at the top of this forum"
I am not sure where to find this masterthread and I would like to improve my packing techniques.
Thank you,
MM
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
There used to be a sticky keeping this thread at the top of the forum board (CAN A MODERATOR RESTICKY IT????):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...pack-suit.html

You can also google bundle packing and find videos showing the bundle packing technique. If I hang the suits overnight once I get there, I've never had an issue with them looking bad and about two-thirds of the time I won't need to iron a no-iron dress shirt if it is packed well in the bundle and then hung in the shower for the next morning.

I personally don't use the rolling garment bag anymore except for the very rare trip where I have to pack more than two suits.

Good luck.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:12 am

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.