Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Koyono Jacket vs Scottevest Revolution

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Koyono Jacket vs Scottevest Revolution

I'm planning my first onebag business trip to Las Vegas this summer and want to take a smart looking coat with me on the plane that would also be suitable going into a conference setting.

This reviewer is wearing a Japanese lightweight coat in his pictures
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2008/02/28/...nizer_pouches/

The company is called Koyono and they do a very nice looking jacket for a good price http://www.koyono.com/BlackCoat-Mini...oat-p/mbcm.htm

I've also heard a lot about Scottevest and the best looking option seems to be their Revolution Plus http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/R...s-Jacket.shtml

However, I'm not sure about the quality of either of these 2 products, could anyone who owns them please comment? I've heard Scottevest uses cheap zips and the stitching is of poor quality and would like more advice on this.

I'd also be interested in hearing about alternative jackets from other forum members.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:35 pm

If you are going to a conference or a business meeting, you probably will wear at least a sport coat with chinos or a suit, right?

If this is the case, you don't even need to know anything about the quality of the coats to rule at least two of them out from the get-go. Why?

Because the Koyono will be too short and too slim to fit over a sport coat. You can tell from the pictures it is not made to do that. And the Scottevest will be even shorter and will also make you look like a marshmallow man due to its many interior layers.

The Japanese one from the gadgeteer link would work.

I'd encourage you to look into Cole Haan and Barbour. Or you could get stylish and get an actual coat from Burberry or Aquascutum.

I've got all three and can recommend all of them. The Cole Haan is black, with many pockets but lightweight and a roll-up hood. Long enough to fit over a sport coat without the sport coat peeking out from below. Classy looking, too.

When you choose a Barbour, choose one that is long enough and has enough room in the shoulders to fit over another jacket. They are cut slightly slimmer than the American stuff. Also choose one that is made of their regular or even their light material. The heavy thornproof oil cloth is so darn heavy it will weigh you down. Great in cold climates, though.

The classic trench coat is a wonderful travel accessory. People look at you differently and treat you differently when you are well-dressed. The trench goes a long way in that direction. It is also quite practical.

If you plan to encounter actual rain, choose a version that goes to mid-calf. The versions that stop at the knee or are even shorter than the knee are of no use in the rain compared to the longer versions.

Till
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by tfar
If you are going to a conference or a business meeting, you probably will wear at least a sport coat with chinos or a suit, right?

If this is the case, you don't even need to know anything about the quality of the coats to rule at least two of them out from the get-go. Why?

Because the Koyono will be too short and too slim to fit over a sport coat. You can tell from the pictures it is not made to do that. And the Scottevest will be even shorter and will also make you look like a marshmallow man due to its many interior layers.

The Japanese one from the gadgeteer link would work.

I'd encourage you to look into Cole Haan and Barbour. Or you could get stylish and get an actual coat from Burberry or Aquascutum.

I've got all three and can recommend all of them. The Cole Haan is black, with many pockets but lightweight and a roll-up hood. Long enough to fit over a sport coat without the sport coat peeking out from below. Classy looking, too.

When you choose a Barbour, choose one that is long enough and has enough room in the shoulders to fit over another jacket. They are cut slightly slimmer than the American stuff. Also choose one that is made of their regular or even their light material. The heavy thornproof oil cloth is so darn heavy it will weigh you down. Great in cold climates, though.

The classic trench coat is a wonderful travel accessory. People look at you differently and treat you differently when you are well-dressed. The trench goes a long way in that direction. It is also quite practical.

If you plan to encounter actual rain, choose a version that goes to mid-calf. The versions that stop at the knee or are even shorter than the knee are of no use in the rain compared to the longer versions.

Till
Two words:

Vegas summer

Seriously. I just checked the weather. In the next ten days the daily high will be below 100 F four of the days. Highest 110. It will be hotter later in summer I suspect.

I have found ScottEvest quality to be okay. Zippers a bit annoying at times but I have several items and like them. On their site there is a link called something like "How warm is this jacket". It shows a continuum of their items from those that are warmest to least warm. The Revolution is at the warmest end. It is basically a heavy winter jacket. I have the tropical jacket from them which is much lighter and which is nice but to be honest I wouldn't take anything to Vegas in the summer but a sport coat if I needed one for the convention. It is going to be absolutely blazing hot.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jun 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:05 pm

+1...

Summer + Vegas => no coat. It's, like, HOT there and stuff.

SCOTTEVEST makes a travel sport coat that looks OK. Assuming it is available in your size, that's the only coat I'd recommend, and then only if you need something business-ish.

On the other hand my main sport coat has several useful inside pockets and my trench coat has nearly as many. More importantly, it has a pocket large enough for a Kindle and/or iPad. Neither is a specialized travel item; just off-the-rack business clothes.

I have one of the TEC shirts. I like the cut and find some (not all) of the pockets super useful. In particular, the two inside upper chest pockets stash my phone and wallet in easy reach even when I'm seated, and the hidden side seam pocket is a decent stash spot, especially if I wear the shirt untucked. The earbud "Personal Area Network" is a joke. Maybe it is better on the jackets. I don't use the clear touchscreen panel on the phone pocket. It is easier to just take the phone out when I want to use it. The "bluetooth pocket" is an invitation to lose your fancy headset. That's OK though; there are plenty of other pockets available that will securely hold it. It's also true that the shirt hangs in such a way that the pockets don't bulge out. I really like that feature.

To your questions -- yes, my shirt arrived with definitely sub-par stitching. I addressed it myself rather than sending the shirt back. The zippers are definitely TINY, but then again it's a shirt we're talking about. Small gauge zippers make sense to me -- especially after I found and trimmed all the loose thread that kept getting caught in them.

Just yesterday I saw a guy in the security line at Seatac wearing a SCOTTEVEST travel vest. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was awesome. But he went on to lament that he bought travel trousers as well and the stitching was horrible. SCOTTEVEST sent him a replacement that was no better, so he called again. They sent him a second replacement that again was no better. The guy wrote a review on their website saying that he liked the trousers but they suffered from poor stitching quality. SCOTTEVEST chose not to publish the review. So he penned a letter to Scott explaining that under the circumstances, he would no longer be a customer. He liked the vest just fine though.

Frankly, if I didn't own a Scott e-vest product with similarly poor stitching, I might have dismissed guy as just overly picky.

I know my TEC shirt was made in China; possibly the guy's travel pants were as well. It's tougher to enforce quality control in manufacturing in an outsourcing environment, and my guess is that SCOTTEVEST needs to invest a bit more in quality. I know another person with a travel jacket that really likes it as well so possibly the jackets and vests don't have the same quality issues.

I'm disturbed that SCOTTEVEST allegedly rejected the guy's "review", but not disturbed enough not to be a customer myself. If I hear much more negative stuff, that will change. But for now the problems with my TEC shirt were easily addressed. If I buy another product them I'll be certain to look it over very carefully before I wear it.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Aaron

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.