Wiki Posts
Search

So What Color Briggs and Riley?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
So What Color Briggs and Riley?

Still thinking about B&R Wide Body 20" Exp. and the Tote Bag ... does the olive green show the dirt too easily? I'd love a color other than black. I don't really like the brown so that leaves the green. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I have about 6 olive BR pieces and love them. The checked bags show some wear and tear like any other bag. Personally, I think the olive is a very good color and they look great.

Keep in mind that the baseline collection offers less bags in the chocolate color than the olive/black.

black's black, go with olive.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:47 pm

I can't help with the personal esthetic preference, of course, but some reflections on color anyway.

There are four colors for the baseline series. Not all pieces exist in all colors. There is black, olive, mocha and Crystal. Crystal (a light blueish grey) is discontinued. In my eyes it is one of the most beautiful luggage colors out there, next to Andiamo's steel grey (a dark grey with a blue-green cast).

Black: Shows no scuff marks. Great for checked luggage. Will show dust. But dust is easily dusted off. Will hardly show stains. Everyone else's luggage is black. Need to customize a little with a luggage tag or duct tape to easily pick it out at the baggage claim. Has an upscale but understated look if not very original.

Olive: Shows very little dust. Will show scuff marks. Those are way harder to get out than dust. Not so ideal for checked luggage but easy to spot. Has a safari look.

Crystal: Very nice look. Upscale but not screaming look at me. Dust won't show. Stains and scuff marks will be very visible. More so than olive even. Best to use for hand luggage only or get a luggage cover if you don't like to live with scuff marks. Can be had on discount at londonluggage.

Mocha: possibly the most practical color out there. Elegant but different yet not loud. Will show dust less than black. Very good for stains and scuff marks. Easy to spot on luggage claim because there isn't much luggage around in that color. Possibly the best color for checked luggage.

Till
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tfar
Crystal (a light blueish grey) is discontinued. In my eyes it is one of the most beautiful luggage colors out there
Having bought a BR 231X double expandable tote in this discontinued colour I'll hearily agree. FWIW I'd opt for the black over olive but that's just MHO.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Having bought a BR 231X double expandable tote in this discontinued colour I'll hearily agree. FWIW I'd opt for the black over olive but that's just MHO.
I was thinking of you on that subject when I discovered all the other luggage at londonluggage. Perhaps you can get some matching pieces there. If I didn't have mostly black luggage and not already a rather good assortment of Valoroso, I'd go for the Crystal right way. I wouldn't even care for the scuff marks. It's just too nice a color to pass up.

How do you like the 231x so far, btw?

Till
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tfar
How do you like the 231x so far, btw?
^ Each trip is a chance to try something slightly different & new to travel as light as possible and the 231x is a versatile bag that I'm sure will last me a long while and look good in the colour scheme too. I'm planning 2 weeks in HKG & ICN for late Sept. and know the bag will perform well.

Without planning it I seem to be a colour nonconfirmist having previously used a two-tone black and navy coloured Samsonite checked luggage before I ditched it for travelling only with a carry-on. It was easy to spot on the carousel and black & blue was how I felt after some long-haul trip in economy.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:17 pm

Reviving an old thread here, but I really wanted to say: crystal is indeed quite beautiful, and IMHO the best *looking* B&R color. I've had a couple of checkin agents comment on it already. But by gawd, it picks up a ridiculous number of scuff marks every single trip that makes it very impractical.

I've been spending some 45mins+ after each trip getting the marks out with soap and water after every single trip, and it's getting tiring. And then I have to get the water marks out occasionally. The rest of my packing/unpacking process is so optimized that this is a shame. If anybody knows of a trick to clean it faster or not have it pick up so many scuff marks in the first place, I'd be grateful. Scotchgard didn't do anything.

I've never had to do this to my olive B&R.

Last edited by RemoteControl; Apr 28, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:52 pm

Reviving old again. I would love some tips, I have an olive roller I've had for 25 years and well, it's filthy. I have five other bags and am about to buy a Suiter duffle because the old B&R duffle (black) that I have is too small for week drive trip.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Personally, I like the gray and the blue. Worrying about a colour being too common isn't really an issue as there are so few B&R out there that you are extremely unlikely to encounter one on the same plane. But it's an aesthetic consideration more than anything else for me, as I don't like the brand new look anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
So far, all five pieces of my B&R pieces are olive. My next choice would be navy. I would never buy any luggage in black. I remember last year on a flight somebody accidentally took another passenger's black roller bag off of the flight and didn't notice it until they got on the runway bus to the departing terminal. Very few people have olive color luggage. As the other poster indicated, olive will show dirt and stains easily, but after 25 years that's to be expected. If mine starts showing stains, etc I'll get it professionally cleaned by an upholstery company. Because the longer the stain and dirt settles in the harder it is to clean.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
The black hides dirt so much better. My wife and I have identical bags in both colors and I like mine because it's a bit easier to spot when I do have to check it. I don't so much care about the dirt, the bag is incredible. Here they are side by side. ( Mine does have a bit more mileage then hers but the black stays nicer looking much longer.)
Global Adventurer likes this.

Last edited by dlnewbie; Oct 16, 2020 at 11:11 am Reason: punctuation
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Briggs & Riley has introduced a new color to their baseline collection:. (Plum)

Limited Edition Plum
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:16 pm

I'd get this one, but no two-wheelers in Plum...back to navy...
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ukalady
I'd get this one, but no two-wheelers in Plum...back to navy...
Even though I own the nternational spinner, if a two wheeler goes on sale in Olive, I'll buy it for a couple of reasons. They don't have the falling over issue and the rolling away issue. LOL
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Even though I own the nternational spinner, if a two wheeler goes on sale in Olive, I'll buy it for a couple of reasons. They don't have the falling over issue and the rolling away issue. LOL
I tested out an international spinner for a bit before going with the two wheeler version and for being very similar bags, I enjoy the two wheelre much better. I didn't have the falling over issue any more with the spinner than I do with a poorly loaded two wheeler, but the rolling away definitely was an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.