Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline 20" Exp. Wide Body– Smart Choice for Light Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline 20" Exp. Wide Body– Smart Choice for Light Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:23 am

Man! Too many threads on bags! If I come across it, I'll try to remember to send you a pointer. But basically I dug threw a slew of airline luggage regulations and others added their numbers and the smallest common number was the 8" dimension, meaning that we found no airline where a bag could not be at least 8" deep. The height is fairly constant around 22" but the width can vary from 13-16". Of course, it makes sense to either carefully look at the airlines you use most and then maximize your luggage volume accordingly, or to go with a bag that is 20x8x13, preferably soft. That is 41 l.i. and should fit all regulations. I think the Tristar fits that bill. It's 19x13x8. I have never thought about that but this fact may explain the enormous popularity of the Tristar despite its kinda high price getting close to $300 with shoulder strap and shipping.

Till
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by tfar
basically I dug threw a slew of airline luggage regulations and others added their numbers and the smallest common number was the 8" dimension, meaning that we found no airline where a bag could not be at least 8" deep. The height is fairly constant around 22" but the width can vary from 13-16". Of course, it makes
Till
Thanks again, Till,

I am guessing that the 8" limit is not that common... but maybe I'm wrong. I seem to remember looking up LHR limits recently and seeing an actual 10" depth limit, though of course individual airlines may differ.

Is this the thread you are thinking of?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...o-flights.html

I may get a Plat 5 22 for domestic and a wheelless soft bag for International.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:12 pm

That's one of them. I thought of a more recent one like within the last two months, IIRC. You are right in that the 8" limit is not that common. But basically we were trying to find the lowest lengthxwidthxdepth allowed and then combine these measures. And 20x13x8 was the result. That means a bag like that should be good to go as a carry-on on any airline. NB: Spirit Air just threw a curveball introducing a 16x14x12 max carry-on. Basterds! Never flew spirit air and now probably never will. Actually, measured in linear inches their dimensions are bigger than the minimax dimensions we came up with. But to my knowledge there are hardly any bags out there that fit this criterion. I mean that's almost a cube. Not great for packing.

TP5 for domestic and soft non-roller for international is an excellent strategy. It's basically what I do. Keep in mind that if you do take an American airline internationally you still get to take the big carry-on with mostly no weight limit or a doable weight limit. It's when non-US airlines enter the game that it gets difficult. Many of them only allow ONE piece and many are very restrictive on weight with limits ranging from 6-9kg. OUCH! It's for those cases you need a light and soft bag. The Tristar starts to look much better! The 235x is too deep and kinda heavy. Airboss might be too long. Aeronaut too big, too. I think Tristar and TP5 would be a pretty good team.

Till
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:20 pm

Another trip this past weekend with the B&R widebody bag in chocolate. I really appreciate the quality built into this bag. Just amazing.

I particularly love the suiter compartment's design. The whole compartment zips closed unlike the similar Tumi, whose top and bottom edges are open. For this trip I put 3 dress shirts and a blazer in the suiter. I used my Eagle Creek 18" folder for my polos. I think I will get the 15" folder as the 18" is a bit too big to put in either the upper or lower half of the main compartment. As it was, the 18" only fit in along the long side of the bag, leaving a few inches on either side that weren't too useful.

The ideal setup would be one 15" EC folder and an EC half cube to form the "core" around which I would wrap 2 or 3 pants/shorts. And yes, Till, Then I wrap my belt around the bundle to save space.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by jdlnmia
Another trip this past weekend with the B&R widebody bag in chocolate. I really appreciate the quality built into this bag. Just amazing.

I particularly love the suiter compartment's design. The whole compartment zips closed unlike the similar Tumi, whose top and bottom edges are open. For this trip I put 3 dress shirts and a blazer in the suiter. I used my Eagle Creek 18" folder for my polos. I think I will get the 15" folder as the 18" is a bit too big to put in either the upper or lower half of the main compartment. As it was, the 18" only fit in along the long side of the bag, leaving a few inches on either side that weren't too useful.

The ideal setup would be one 15" EC folder and an EC half cube to form the "core" around which I would wrap 2 or 3 pants/shorts. And yes, Till, Then I wrap my belt around the bundle to save space.
Sounds great. I don't know which polos you are using but mine don't really need a folder. They come out fine even if I role them. Knits/jerseys are usually quite good in that regard. You are right that an 18 incher is really not needed for polos and probably polos don't need a folder at all, which saves you some weight. After all even the 15" folder is easily half a pound.

And even in my book it's OK to have a few inches of unused space. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Till
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Sounds great. I don't know which polos you are using but mine don't really need a folder. They come out fine even if I role them. Knits/jerseys are usually quite good in that regard. You are right that an 18 incher is really not needed for polos and probably polos don't need a folder at all, which saves you some weight. After all even the 15" folder is easily half a pound.

And even in my book it's OK to have a few inches of unused space. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Till
Ha Ha I know. I like the neatness of the folder for the polos LOL. Honestly, I didn't know that I would use the suiter as much as I have for the dress shirts that would have otherwise ended up in the folder. In any event, I like RL Purple Label & Hugo Boss as far as polos go, with the occasional Lacoste. Quality over quantity.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:54 pm

I agree with your quality over quantity approach. I also like RL and Lacoste. Very sturdy and nice colors. Mostly I wear John Smedley Sea Island Cotton polos. Try those when you get a chance. Buy in England, Italy or Switzerland. Otherwise the prices are NUTS! Like $200+ for a polo shirt. Also try some mercerized cotton polos. Cerruti makes really nice ones. And on the cheap side I've had really good experience with the C9 (or is it CD) brand you can buy at Target. Have none of their polos but my t-shirts are made from the same material. Practically no wrinkling, absolutely no ironing, super light, VERY quick drying (as in 1-2h after handwash, after machine spinning they are only slightly damp you could wear one right away). Very color fast, too. And the material is moisture wicking, feels rather good for a synthetic and doesn't stink. I can wear a t-shirt for one full day and it will still be smelling ok enough to wear again.

Till
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:11 am

A little earlier in this thread I pointed out that you have to be patient with sales at Sierra Trading Post well in todays promotional email there are some nice prices on both Briggs and Riley and Eagle Creek.

The promotional code to get these prices is WCK2201S in my email.

Shak

Eagle Creek 28 in Hovercraft $123.71
Eagle Creek 25 in Hovercraft $112.46
Eagle Creek Guide Pro Travel Bag $21.45
Eagle Creek 15 in folder $8.37
Eagle Creek 18 in floder $10.50
Eagle Creek half Cube $4.05.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sea...criptions=True

BR 22 in Baseline $124.17
BR 26 in Baseline Superlight $147.57
BR 28 in Baseline Superlight $166.17
BR 28 in Baseline $224.97
BR Transend Messenger $50.97
BR 24 in Baseline $135.57
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sea...criptions=True
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Shak51
Thanks for sharing. Great prices as any luggage enthusiast would recognize. If experience is any guide, this code will expire in a day or so? (Of course, there will be others, but each time you do have to jump to catch the ball.)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:32 pm

Wow! Those are awesome prices. Thanks for posting, Shak51! ^

Till
Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:39 am

WCK2201S still works

Originally Posted by Shak51

I just used this to get 25% off on some sun protective shirts! Thanks!!

Even better, it took 25% off items that were already on clearance!

Last edited by try2cook; Apr 14, 2010 at 5:02 am Reason: Need to add more info
Old Apr 14, 2010, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by try2cook
I just used this to get 25% off on some sun protective shirts! Thanks!!

Even better, it took 25% off items that were already on clearance!
There is a lot of good buy if you look. I love ExOfficio and Columbia for travel and have purchased many of them over the years.

If you sign up for their credit card you will get free shipping for a year too. You will not get free shipping until your receive the card though.

Shak
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Another promo code from STP

I just got an email with the following promo: ZJH8920U. Extra 20% / 25% / 30% off if your order totals $100 / $125 / $150. Expires 4/19.

Maybe we should start another dedicated thread for current sales and promotions? Right now this info is getting scattered in many threads.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
Originally Posted by aktchi
I just got an email with the following promo: ZJH8920U. Extra 20% / 25% / 30% off if your order totals $100 / $125 / $150. Expires 4/19.

Maybe we should start another dedicated thread for current sales and promotions? Right now this info is getting scattered in many threads.
Thanks for passing along. Picked up a pair of 26" baselines @$137 each for the wife and I for international leisure travel. Truth be known, she doesn't subscribe to my minimalist thinking and would bring the kitchen sink if she could unhook it. She typically ends up filling her case and 1/2 of mine. BUT....she looks damn good in those little dresses so I don't complain too much.

Last edited by crp5; Apr 21, 2010 at 8:20 pm
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I could use a couple 26" baselines, but I can't get the deal to work to get those prices. Has it now expired?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.