Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gravis Jetway luggage review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Wink Gravis Jetway luggage review

I'm interested to find out about anyone's experience with this carryon bag: Gravis Jetway. Looking into purchasing but it doesn't seem to be popular. I'm hoping to know if its a quality one or not. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:43 pm

Hi,

An old thread but worth of a reply. I have been commuting twice weekly by train with a Gravis Jetway for 15 months. It's the one with the single document pocket on the front. That's over 120 train journeys, plus a handful of continental flights, and a dozen transatlantic flights. I'd consider this well above average use for a bag like this.

Mine is the "Phantom Black" colour scheme, which is slightly gloss black with a sky blue trim. Not my first choice, but I got it for a steal in an end of season sale. It's easy to spot at the baggage reclaim!

http://rushfaster.com.au/product/gra...om-black/7070/

I picked this bag because I have had great experience with Gravis bags (their Metro back pack is the most well designed I have ever used) and I was not disappointed. The Jetway is every bit as well considered. Pockets and handles where you need them. Nothing extraneous. Simple but effective. It's like a Tardis inside, and I've had no problem fitting a week worth of clothes inside, including three pairs of shoes (two Vans, one Camper) and a pair of slippers (Camper). I also occaisionally put my whole Gravis Metro back pack in the middle of the bag before I zip it up. All good.

Over time, being mainly dark in colour, the bag has not really picked up any notable marks. Only temporary chalk and dirt from the baggage handlers, but nothing that hasn't cleaned off with a damp cloth. The reinforced bottom has taken some scrapes and knocks but still looks very presentable. The skate wheels have many turns in them; the outer and inner fabrics are without any tears or holes; the zips are all still functioning and sliding easily! This is one seriously dependable bag. There is a small chip in the paint of the telescopic handle, near the logo, but that was where I picked at a fleck in the paint and caused it to peel—totally my fault. Aside from the well designed book-like opening, perfectly positioned handles, well considered size and position of compartments and pockets, the skate wheels are a really great feature—they are in a class above wheels on other brand bags and roll very quietly and maintains great stability on the pavement and roads around the city.

The only downside I have found is that it will not fit in some budget European airline baggage sizing frames, since they downsized things to screw us over. But otherwise I've not had any problem storing it overhead, or in the hold on various trains, planes and automobiles.

Sadly, these are now difficult to find these days outside of Asia, since Gravis was bought by a Japanese company. The Jetway 2 looks improved, but I have no idea where I could buy one in the UK. Such a shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.