Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why Briggs & Riley doesn't have a larger following?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Briggs & Riley doesn't have a larger following?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by hopscotch1
If only I had found FT sooner.
A familiar lament.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:39 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I love the thought put in every B&R design, the placement of each pocket, zipper etc. But the main thing for me these past few years is weight. If B&R carryons were much lighter I would buy.

I currently use ASaks, old LeSportsacs and old kiplings for carryons and for rolling luggage that needs to take a beating an old steel framed Lark that refuses to die and the old old Samsonite Oyster.

When the Lark and the Samsonite go I will replace with B&R.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Has anyone had a problem carrying on the Baseline or Transcend 20" wide body? Either getting it down the aisle or in the overhead?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
SQtalk turned me on to B&R a few years ago, right around the time I was looking for new luggage to replace the (nice) duffle-type over-the-shoulder bags I'd been using for more than a decade. I became an instant fan. I now carry:

28" monster expandable roller
24" expandable roller
22" expandable roll-aboard
carry-on tote
standard suiter
3" thick computer briefcase
1" thick computer briefcase (goes in the rollaboard)

So we'd have matching luggage, I gave Mr. Megatop these:
24" expandable roller
22" expandable roll-aboard
carry-on tote

The one item I wish B&R made that they don't: a proper litigation bag.

All my stuff is Baseline or @work, all black.

Since I started carrying B&R, I've been taking note of the number of other people who also carry it. On any given flight, I usually see at least one on board or on the carousel, roughly as much Tumi as I usually see.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've spent more time shopping for luggage and studying the issue in the past week than I have spent traveling. I'm convinced that due to the design of the 20 inch B & R bag, I can get as much into it as in a 21 or 22 inch bag in other lines.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I'm convinced that due to the design of the 20 inch B & R bag, I can get as much into it as in a 21 or 22 inch bag in other lines.
How so? Please explain. It seems to me the outsider handle already takes up a lot of space. I would not choose a BR carry-on size roller precisely for that reason. A bigger roller without a second of hesitation but not a carry-on size. Besides, I don't like the look of the outsider handles and they kill the rear magazine pocket which I find super practical.

Till
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Todays observation

I just flew LGA-ORD and am currently in the RCC at ORD. I particularly looked at bags on this trip due to this thread. I think the most common was Samsonite, followed by TravelPro and then B&R. There werent many people in first, and one plus someone in E+ had B&R. Several of them in the RCC too. I on the other hand, and RedOxxing on this trip.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by tfar
How so? Please explain. It seems to me the outsider handle already takes up a lot of space. I would not choose a BR carry-on size roller precisely for that reason. A bigger roller without a second of hesitation but not a carry-on size. Besides, I don't like the look of the outsider handles and they kill the rear magazine pocket which I find super practical.

Till
Till, I believe there is more interior space and the form of the bag is more rectangular. Now that you mention it, I would miss that magazine pocket. Soon I'm going our luggage shopping.....again. Tape measure in hand.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
The labels in store have the interior sq. inches.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
I have seen at least as much B&R as Tumi on my recent travels.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: 1.3mm
[QUOTE=travishenry;13250754]Wow, United777. I thought I was a Briggs and Riley fan, but I must admit you’re a much bigger BR aficionado judging by the size of your collection. I am really intrigued by how you use all of them? Are they all for personal use only, or do you share them with your family?
QUOTE]

Depending on the needs for the trip, I have a variety of options. I use to pack too much when I first started to travel, thus the reason why I have so many large carry-on.

Now, I've very conscious of what I carry, I hate lugging around more than I have too.

When I need multiple suits and such, I will take the carry-on suiter. When I don't need that, but need clothes, I'll use the 21" carry-on (old school) with the zipper. (I didn't like the one touch expander, lame).

When I am trying to pack light, and I can get away with not looking good, I'll use the 18" carry-on. Mrs. United777heavy uses this one when she needs to travel for work.

I've used my BR business case for the last 6 years... still great as can be.

The small little business case roller is used when I go away for one day... just big enough to carry what I need.

These luggage’s are at the end of the day an investment. I've never had to send anything in, as they all have worked like a champ. It's peace of mind that If I do have issues, I'll be able to get them fixed, and not worry too much about how long it will take, as I have alternatives... life needs to be like that.

Last edited by United777Heavy; Jan 31, 2010 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA EXP, et. al.
New B&R convert

I had been a long-time Tumi "aficionado" (approx 10-15 pieces over more than a decade). I justified the high price tag by its original "Lifetime warranty" and smart design features.

This all ended when I took in two pieces for repair to the dept store where I bought them and despite having fixed the exact same broken handle several years back under the origional "Tumi Lifetime Warranty," they were now "no longer covered" under the "revised" Tumi warranty. After a couple of weeks, I got a repair estimate for approx $215 for repairing both pieces and I opted to discard them rather than to pay for them not honoring their original warranty terms, which incidently, a Tumi repair person claimed "had not changed" - to which I responded: then "why are you not honoring to repair the exact same handle which Tumi gladly repaired several years back?"

I even went out of my way to reconfirm this by stopping at a well-established AA-approved luggage repair shop and they confirmed that "Tumi did significantly revise their original warranty terms." I then asked who still has good design with a solid "Lifetime warranty" and their unequivocal answer was Briggs & Riley. They'll fix it even if it was the airlines's fault. That got my attention, considering the source.

Not being personally familiar with BR, I started researching their products and have been pleasantly surprised with my findings... Much LIGHTER than Tumi and less expensive!!!

Given my recent findings, I have decided to slowly replace my entire Tumi collection with much lighter luggage. BR seems like the perfect start.

I am starting with their Verb expandable rolling business case (VBR412X) http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...-Brief_VBR412X

It fits perfectly within AA's personal item definition, e.g., "does not exceed 36 linear inches" and it only weighs 7 lbs!!! The price is a bit steep but in my view is warranted by its solid warranty.

The next item I was looking for but did not find a perfect match at BR was an AA-legal carry on (45 linear inches) sans wheels. I did find the 235X Suiter Tote sans wheels but thought it was too heavy at nearly 6 lbs.

For my week long trips, ideally, I would use the BR rolling brief case with the lightest non-wheeled carry-on that would allow me to pack two business suits. Any suggestions? Several have mentioned Red Oxx Air Boss and SkyTrain, A. Saks 21, Tristar, etc. Aside from the lightest possible soft-pack carry-on, it should be able to lay on top of the wheeled BR rolling brief. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:37 am

Great strategy on using multiple luggage pieces to suit different requirements, United777Heavy. I wanted to know from you if you’ve ever had trouble fitting your 21" carry-on into the overhead compartment of the aircraft?

Welcome to the Briggs and Riley fan club, Jmanusa. I am sure BR will change your flying experience forever. And yes, they do offer the best warranty in the luggage industry.

Oldpenny, I agree with you that outsider handle system gives the suitcase more interior space rather than vice versa. I have a 20” wide body wheeled carry-on from Briggs and Riley and I absolutely love the shape of the suitcase because it allows me to pack more inside and easily fits in the overhead compartment of the aircraft. As for the magazine, I simply put it in the outside pocket for quick access anytime I feel like reading.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmanusa
The next item I was looking for but did not find a perfect match at BR was an AA-legal carry on (45 linear inches) sans wheels. I did find the 235X Suiter Tote sans wheels but thought it was too heavy at nearly 6 lbs.

For my week long trips, ideally, I would use the BR rolling brief case with the lightest non-wheeled carry-on that would allow me to pack two business suits. Any suggestions? Several have mentioned Red Oxx Air Boss and SkyTrain, A. Saks 21, Tristar, etc. Aside from the lightest possible soft-pack carry-on, it should be able to lay on top of the wheeled BR rolling brief. Any thoughts?
First of all, welcome to FT!
Second, thanks for the nice write-up of your switching to BR. It is for similar reasons that I started this thread.

The problem with all the bags you mention is that they have no means of attaching to your rolling briefcase! They are all good bags but they will not easily ride on top of the rolling BR case you already have.

If you are traveling with suits and you already have a BR briefcase, the 235x seems ideal. The weight is inconsequential since it will mostly be riding on top of the briefcase. I use mine even for hand carry. There are other options (not a whole lot though) like Victorinox out there. But why go there if you already have BR? The 235x can also be found at a discount right now, which makes it even more interesting.

You can read my in-depth comparo here:
http://www.1bag1world.com/blog/2009/...-shootout.html

The Easygoing bag mentioned in that comparison is VERY similar to the Airboss except that it is lighter, made of ballistic instead of Cordura and has a handle passthrough. Otherwise, what I say about it can be almost literally applied to the Airboss. Unfortunately, it is not produced anymore.

I'd get the 235x and not look back. If you are rolling it anyway the extra pound compared to other bags is well worth it when you consider the features and construction quality you get for it. It will also look quite dashing as a combo with the briefcase. No brainer, if you ask me.

Till
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA EXP, et. al.
Thanks travishenry & Till for the welcome. I only wish I had known about FT much earlier, especially when I was living as an expat overseas. I am genuinely impressed by the knowledge-sharing, thoroughness and dedication that are exemplified in the very helpful responses by FT members, truly a class on its own.

Till - After reading your very informative and helpful review, I am now leaning towards the BR235X as the perfect companion to the VBR412X rolling brief. My only concern is whether it would stand on its own without tipping.

Like most FTers, I am constantly seeking for my own perfect travel trifecta: COMFORT (free-up my shoulders), LIGHT but functional (only 1 set of wheels), and SIMPLICITY (hassle-free warranties).

After having tried many combinations in the past, including carrying a separate portable cart to help with heavy briefcases, etc., I am leaning towards this ideal 1-week domestic/international configuration: rolling briefcase, soft-sided non-wheeled carry-on, and something to keep them together, like this bag bungee:
http://www.travelonbags.com/pages/XXXXX/2100/2181.html

My rationale: having the wheeled-briefcase is much more comfortable & versatile for me, as it frees my shoulder during my two major travel commutes:

1) Airport (rolling briefcase + carry-on): eliminates the need to lug anything on my shoulder whilst traversing the long corridors of large airports, such as London's Heathrow, et. al.

2) Hotel/Office (rolling briefcase) daily commute: Minimizes the amount of time carrying my briefcase on my shoulder where I am always required to lug my laptop on a daily basis, alongside business files.

I have not purchased the rolling bag (VBR412X) yet, as I wanted to ensure that its "perfect companion bag" (BR235X) could be reliably carried on top of it without tipping over. I am hopeful the bag bungee or some other device could help here.

After comparing the weight of some BR products to the equivalent Tumi products that I own, I found that BR tended to be lighter. Pehaps that explains why Tumi does not list their weights. As an example, the Tumi Alpha wheeled compact briefcase (26102) weighs 9 lbs and is comparable to the B&R expandable rolling briefcase (VBR412X) which weighs 7 lbs. That 2 lb difference is enough to make me go with B&R, plus an excellent value purchase that includes a solid lifetime warranty.

I am quite perplexed with the question on this thread: Why not a larger B&R following? I would venture to say perhaps not enough marketing? I personally travel extensively & just became acquainted with B&R via a highly reliable source, luggage repair store.

I will plan on stopping by a luggage store soon and test whether the BR235X holds up with the VBR412X. Is anyone familiar with any other similar combos (rolling briefcase + non-wheeled carry-on) that would hold up and not tip over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.