Wiki Posts
Search

Under the sea

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:08 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Just bought myself a Canon HF200 HD camcorder and a underwater housing which Ill try out on my next scuba adventure
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Here's a few from last month's trip to Hawaii. All shot with a Nikon D300, 28-75/2.8 lens (at 28mm), in a bag-style housing I got from B&H for $90.

(yes, this was shot at 28mm - he swam very, very close to me)

Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
Here's a few from last month's trip to Hawaii. All shot with a Nikon D300, 28-75/2.8 lens (at 28mm), in a bag-style housing I got from B&H for $90.
Great shots! Would this by chance be the one you were referring to? I've been considering getting it for some time but was a little affraid how well it would work underwater. I figured it would be great for rain, etc. but maybe not submerged. If so, how was it to use?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Great shots! Would this by chance be the one you were referring to? I've been considering getting it for some time but was a little affraid how well it would work underwater. I figured it would be great for rain, etc. but maybe not submerged. If so, how was it to use?
That is the one. I tested it before use by wadding up some tissue paper in the case, sealing, and submerging it for an hour with a brick in a bucket of water. No leaks.

The trick is making sure you have a good seal on the zipper, and getting good, even, tight folds as you roll down the bag.

If you have a zoom lens on your camera, don't count on being able to use it - the pressure will compress the bag and make it difficult to operate. Also, you will have a difficult time using your viewfinder, so shooting wide-angle and cropping in is the way to go, because framing will be difficult.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold

WOW, all great shots! Love them!!!!!!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
wow...amazing shots...where did you take these? my Canon D10 didnt take shots like this....I guess I have to go out more into the sea and stop being a big wuss and snorkeling close to shore in fear of drowning hehehe
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by mrx900
wow...amazing shots...where did you take these? my Canon D10 didnt take shots like this....I guess I have to go out more into the sea and stop being a big wuss and snorkeling close to shore in fear of drowning hehehe
For my shots, #1 and #4 were taken at Molokini (the little island off the shore of Maui). #1 was taken inside the crater, #4 was on the back side of the crater.

#2 and #3 were taken right here. The turtles were hanging around the rocks right off the L-corner of the condo building.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
A few more from some dives off the FLL coast the day after the Freddie Awards...

Very nice!!

Nice ones!!

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 9, 2010 at 5:07 am
Old May 21, 2010, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
A video of us diving out here in Krakow quarry.
I didn't post process it as I forgot the white balance slate, but its not bad in 1080p HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aGFMlbzuA4
Old May 26, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
A few from the Similian Islands, Thailand. Show with a Point & Shoot Olympus 1030SW with housing and strobe. I'm still new to diving so the pics are still not great yet.

Old May 26, 2010, 5:13 pm

Excellent stuff!

Never got into underwater photography back when I was diving.... at the time I was however skydiving every weekend with a still camera and a video camera on my helmet....

Maybe I should start a thread titled "Up IN the air"...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Amazing photos, all. Thanks for sharing. I just got back from a trip to the Galapagos, where I did tons of snorkeling and made an attempt at some underwater photography with a Canon S90 and the standard housing. Can someone point me to the type of "strobe" folks are referring to?

Anyway, most of it came out like crap (I assume due to my inexperience -- the camera itself has served me very well on land so far), but I got a couple of nice ones (IMO, if you ignore the plankton an bubbles!).

Here's a quick look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tseslen...7624191410376/

If anyone can offer any suggestions for improvement, I would be extremely appreciative.

This summer, I hope to get my dive certification...then the underwater photography fun can really begin...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:48 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by icedancer
Can someone point me to the type of "strobe" folks are referring to?
Here are some examples:
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/1strobe_index.html

Your photos look great! I especially liked the school of surgeonfish.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
great pictures for a starter! believe me, if you are getting better and comfortable under water and you can just focus on how do take the picture you will do a lot of great shoots.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Let's bring this thread back to life....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.