Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gfunkdave
I have copied the first post in this thread to this wiki so anyone can edit it.

A few people have asked in various threads, and I though that this might be a good opportunity to have some instructions for the various image hosting services out there on how to present their images on the TPF forum. I'm going to include the couple responses I've already drafted, but if people have info for ones I haven't included feel free to suggest the provider to me and/or write up the instructions.

S.
And, once you've decided to post your images on FlyerTalk, here are a couple decent threads to share on:
If you're having trouble posting images and cannot seem to figure out why they aren't showing up in the post, make sure to check your profile settings. There is an option to display images or not, and that may be the source of the problems. To get to the setting, click on the My FlyerTalk link, then on the Edit Options link. On that page scroll down and make sure that the check box is selected next to the option "Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)" and save the settings. Hopefully that will fix things.

Update:
Just wanted to add a welcome to folks who are coming over to this thread from some of the other fora that recently had photo embedding enabled. If you're having any problems or want to include details about a new hosting service please feel free to post in this thread and/or PM me.
Print Wikipost

How (and where) to embed your pictures in the Travel Photography forum

Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

fotiki added

Just wanted to add a post to call attention to the fact that I've added instructions for fotiki as post 7 above. It is complicated, but it works.

S.
satman40 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
- Located above the upper left corner of your image, click "resize" and choose "message board". (takes 1-2 seconds)
Photobucket has enhanced their editing options, so part of the instructions need to be altered. Should now read:

- Located in the upper right corner of your image, click the drop down menu "Edit Image". Choose "resize".
- After photo loads, click "Preset Sizes" ==> "Message Board" ==> "Apply" ==> "Save" ==> "Overwrite existing..." or "Save new copy".

Thanks, sbm.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boxo
Photobucket has enhanced their editing options, so part of the instructions need to be altered. Should now read:

- Located in the upper right corner of your image, click the drop down menu "Edit Image". Choose "resize".
- After photo loads, click "Preset Sizes" ==> "Message Board" ==> "Apply" ==> "Save" ==> "Overwrite existing..." or "Save new copy".

Thanks, sbm.
I updated the instructions above. If I messed it up let me know via PM and I'll fix whatever is wrong, but I think it should work as I've noted.

Thanks for the update!!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I just used the generic directions with SHUTTERFLY and it worked perfectly. Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
I would like to post some pictures. However, I keep running into the same problem. That problem is: when I try to post a pic and hit "preview post" it only shows the link to the image (for what it's worth, I'm using webshots.com) and not the actual image within the post.

This is strange because when I read some trip reports here, sometimes the report shows the images within the post and at other times, that same report will just have the hyperlinks to the images. I'm not sure what the deal is there.

I've tried the instructions given at the start of this thread. I've also tried taking ANY post that has a picture, hitting "quote", and just deleting the hyperlink to that post's picture and replacing it with my link. Still, it just shows the link and not the actual picture when I hit "preview."

Could someone help please?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
Could someone help please?
Sure!

I've not worked with WebShots so I'm not familiar with their system. Do you have a link to your gallery or one of the posts that you've tried that isn't working? You can PM it to me if you want.

Also note that not all forums allow inline images (I think maybe only this one and Trip Reports), so sometimes it will just be the link. But if you send me what you've got I'll figure it out, and I can add it to the instructions above.

S.

Edit to add: I just took a quick look at the WebShots page and it looks like it should be pretty easy. On the page for any image there is a link to "link to it" that you can click on. On that page, there is a dialog with three rows of text boxes and some tabs above them. Select the size you want the image to be from the tabs (I recommend 500 or 600). Then copy all the text in the bottom of the three boxes - the one labeled "post in a forum" - and paste it here.

I randomly started on this page (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...62814050OEkqYH) and following the above steps I got this code (with a couple spaces added in):
[U RL=h ttp://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1234419121062814050OEkqYH][I MG]h ttp://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/34219/1234419121062814050S500x500Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL] that, when pasted unadulturated into this forum gives the following result:

I hope this helps. Assuming it does I'll add the details up above as part of the main section of the thread.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 4, 2008 at 8:52 pm
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure!

I've not worked with WebShots so I'm not familiar with their system. Do you have a link to your gallery or one of the posts that you've tried that isn't working? You can PM it to me if you want.

Also note that not all forums allow inline images (I think maybe only this one and Trip Reports), so sometimes it will just be the link. But if you send me what you've got I'll figure it out, and I can add it to the instructions above.

S.

Edit to add: I just took a quick look at the WebShots page and it looks like it should be pretty easy. On the page for any image there is a link to "link to it" that you can click on. On that page, there is a dialog with three rows of text boxes and some tabs above them. Select the size you want the image to be from the tabs (I recommend 500 or 600). Then copy all the text in the bottom of the three boxes - the one labeled "post in a forum" - and paste it here.

I randomly started on this page (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...62814050OEkqYH) and following the above steps I got this code (with a couple spaces added in):
[U RL=h ttp://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1234419121062814050OEkqYH][I MG]h ttp://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/34219/1234419121062814050S500x500Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL] that, when pasted unadulturated into this forum gives the following result:

I hope this helps. Assuming it does I'll add the details up above as part of the main section of the thread.

Thanks, sbm12!

Your instructions for webshots seem to work. But, I also did send you a PM question about the whole deal with pictures not appearing int he posts. In fact, in your reply, that random picture that you posted from webshots appeared only as a hyperlink when I read it. Now, that I read it again, the actual picture IS in the post.

Oh, I just realized that it appears that only when I'm NOT logged into FT, do the actual pictures appear in the post. Otherwise, being logged in, just the hyperlink shows. Strange...?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
Oh, I just realized that it appears that only when I'm NOT logged into FT, do the actual pictures appear in the post. Otherwise, being logged in, just the hyperlink shows. Strange...?
When logged in, click on "My Flyertalk" and then "Edit Options". In the "Thread Display Options" area, be sure the "Show Images" box is checked.

Also keep in mind what SBM12 mentioned above that not all forums allow images to be embedded(displayed), but the Travel Photography forum does.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Glad that the WebShots instructions work and it sounds like cheapneezy's bit re the images when you're logged in should fix that. I went ahead and moved the WebShots instructions up to the top of the thread and linked to them there.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:30 am
Original Poster

More Updates!!

I've added instructions for Photoshop Express (post #10).

I've also added links to the three most popular threads with images in them in the first post. If you have suggestions for other threads to link there PM me and I'll do it.

S.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Zenfolio added. Thanks to rkkwan for putting together the instructions for that one.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
So which is the easiest and cheapest?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
So which is the easiest and cheapest?
Definitely not SmugMug on the cheapest, as they charge you for the service. If you use Picasa for your image management on your computer then the web upload bit is quite convenient. I'd guess that there are plug-ins for Picasa for other services too (I know there is for SmugMug), but I'm not sure about which ones there are. Picasa does limit you to 1GB on their server.

Also consider if you are looking to use it as a permanent repository or just a display source. There are some considerations in terms of total storage space, etc.

Ultimately the answer is that "it depends." There are a few other threads here about best service for hosting your images. A quick search should turn up some of them.

S.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I've updated the title of the thread to reflect that in addition to instructions for the "how" part of the effort there is also a list in the first post of some of the better long-running threads that folks are posting photos in. Feel free to keep starting additional threads if you want, but consider using the established ones, too, if they seem pertinent.

s.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

For folks who don't want to find a 3rd party hosting source, FlyerTalk now offers photo album hosting as part of your user profile. Details on using it to post here are in this post. There are a few restrictions on the FlyerTalk hosting, but it is good in a pinch. Enjoy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.