Flash or no

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Flash or no

Do you think it's rude to use the flash when taking pics at a nice restaurant
Old May 23, 2017, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is something that will distract others from also enjoying their time then yes. And that's not just in a restaurant.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Yes, I do.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

I vote yes. Increase your ISO and skip the flash
Old May 23, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY+
Invest on better lens, it´s better variant than increasing ISO
Old May 23, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by sama
Invest on better lens, it´s better variant than increasing ISO
invest in what would have to be a larger/faster lens just to take photos of food at Arby's?? Especially when a decent camera can show ISO 3000 with little to no noise? Guess it depends on the camera.....
Old May 23, 2017, 6:28 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Smartphone or DSLR?

IMHO most cameras these days with stabilization do pretty well w/o flash. Unless you are bouncing flash or have a diffuser I find no-flash much more pleasing.

As to how distracting, if you only take one picture and know enough not to have to CHIMP, why not, no more distracting than all the other things that happen in restaurant. with lots of talking etc. etc. IMHO.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:59 pm

I think flashes can be distracting inside a restaurant. If you have a nice camera though, it's possible to just up the ISO and shoot without a flash.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
No flash! I recently took photos in a fine dining establishment for my large party. I used flash on my camera phone because the lighting was rather dim and regretted it afterwards. Everyone's faces looked washed out. In the past I have turned off the flash and my camera phone has done a decent job. There are also some simple editing apps to improve the photos for sharing. FWIW I also thought I should try turning on the flash this time because the dining room was mostly empty except for out group and I took the photos facing a wall away from other diners.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If you taking a pic or two of your party as it is a special occasion then I think it is ok. However if you are taking pics of every meal or moment then yes it is annoying
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
If it is something that will distract others from also enjoying their time then yes. And that's not just in a restaurant.
Absolutely. Restaurants is one of those "especially" categories.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

No Flash.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Yes, I do.
I do too. Also, I haven't used a flash indoors in a long time - modern digital cameras and even most phones have great low light capabilities.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you pull that stunt when i am dining, i will first create a scene, and if the restaurant does not throw you out, i will leave. i also think you should be banned from all nice restaurants. do you also leave your cell phone on and the ring tone plays something like the willam tell overture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.