Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BIG camera va (small) camera

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i only use either my phone or 40D+ultra wide lens. would have also gotten a 200mm or longer but havent gotten to invest on that yet. basicallty for photos that my phone cannot do. i just didnt want to carry more weight than i really have to.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by dascc
^

Pretty much the same for me, smartphones just can't beat the quality of a DSLR, esp in lower light. I'd love to give mirrorless a try but really don't want to get a second system.
For me the same. The better phonecams (e.h iPhone or high-end Androids) do take decent photos when there is enough light. In low light they still don't perform so good. An SLR has a much larger sensor (24x36mm Fullframe or 14.8x22.2 for APS-C) than an iPhone (4x6mm) and captures much more light.

The phonecam is the modern version of the 'Instamatic' in the 1960s, useful for simple shots.

I have a Canon 6D which I also take with me on trips, but have a small camera for quick shots and videos (Powershot S100) which even beats most phonecams, at least it has 5x zoom.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by AussieExPat
I always debate bringing my Canon 5d and lenses -- or just bringing the Fuji x70 and going light. Usually I carry the weight, but if I had it to do all over again I'd invest in a Sony a7rii or similar smaller outfit. I'm too cheap to change now...
I have a Canon and Fuji x70 also...

I find I am not as happy with the X70 as I thought I would be.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: MP
I've been thinking about getting a GoPro for smaller, but more than smartphone photography needs. Any thoughts on a GoPro?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by pon18n
I've been thinking about getting a GoPro for smaller, but more than smartphone photography needs. Any thoughts on a GoPro?
I have a GoPro Hero 5 and, despite the lack of zoom and the small sensor, it has better value than a phone cam. Nice wide angle views, easy to paste on an airplane (or train/bus/car) window. With enough light it makes decent videos and timelapses, but in low light the 6d or even the Powershot S100 beats it.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
As others mentioned...kinda depends on your intentions, goals, timeframe, etc...

I have 9 pro DSLRs for our business with not much less and $1k lenses. Most of the gear fits in a medium sized pelican - but a pain to lug around for random photography.

I rented a Nikon P900 for a trip this summer and was pleasantly surprised. But for my next few trips, I got a cheap vest that allows me to carry two bodies/lenses with ease. I get the capability that I'm used to with security and simplicity, yet more capability of creativity with the cameras that I'm used to.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: most of them
Problem with mirrorless for me is the EVF. I just find that when I view my shots through a viewfinder, it's just not the same.

Somehow it's as if the joy is being sucked out via the viewfinder.
Not sure I quite understand this. For me the EVF is great since WYSIWYG. And it can overlay all sorts of other info that can be quite helpful
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:40 am

Canon 1DSMk3 and 400MM F/4 DO

Nothing like having a 400MM Prime hanging around your neck going though TSA Check. I just recently bought a new Nikon D5 along with the Nikkor 800MM F/5.6 FLED and have yet to haul that combo around anywhere yet..
Attached Images  

Last edited by bulbmogul; Dec 18, 2016 at 4:59 am
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Problem with mirrorless for me is the EVF. I just find that when I view my shots through a viewfinder, it's just not the same.
I agree; I much prefer the crisp, clear and bright view through the optical viewfinders of my DSLRs over the squinty and fiddly EVF of my Sony mirrorless camera.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I agree; I much prefer the crisp, clear and bright view through the optical viewfinders of my DSLRs over the squinty and fiddly EVF of my Sony mirrorless camera.
But an EVF shows more how the photo will be than the optical viewfinder.
In many cases I use live view on my 6d just like I take a photo with a digital camera.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I suppose the answer lies on what is your true purpose for traveling.
Well photography is one of the reasons I choose the destinations I travel to.

And most of the photography I do is on travels.

So I haven't been thinking about downsizing. In fact, I went from D7000 to D750 full frame.

I do take pictures with my iPhone too, as a supplement. Really like the panos I get as well as the time-lapse, slow-mo and videos.

In fact, I considered getting a mirrorless system like the Sony Alpha for the sweep panos but as a supplement to my DSLR, not a replacement.

I always pack additional lenses and tripods though over 90% of my pictures are from my walking around zoom, 24-120.

I'm thinking about adding a DJI Mavica drone too ...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by airsurfer
But an EVF shows more how the photo will be than the optical viewfinder.
In many cases I use live view on my 6d just like I take a photo with a digital camera.
I understand this point of view, but that's not the way I see it.

To me, I prefer to be looking at "the real world" when I look through the viewfinder, then if I see something I like I will "capture" it.

I feel like my experience is somewhat limited, if not ruined, by the EVF process. Simply put, EVF made the world I'm trying to capture has a "fake" feels to it.

But if these "feels" are not your forte, there are physical limitations as well.

- EVF has refresh rate, so quick pan will suffer a bit.
- EVF are slower at focusing, so good luck doing sports or action with them.
- EVF has limited resolution, so unless you really zoom in it could be hard to judge whether the image is already sharp or not (although some mirrorless do have auto zoom option to help with focusing)
- EVF has lower dynamic range than what human eye can see. So sometimes your eyes can do a better composition than what the EVF can show you (then you can decide if you want to apply filter or do post process later).
- I shoot in very low light condition a lot (like astrophotography), and there are many cases where you simply can't see anything with live view or EVF.

Of course, modern mirrorless have improved a lot already on many of these limitations. My guess is that in time the difference will be really minimal.

But at the end of the day, it's just really not yet my style. Maybe someday I will get used to it, but not today.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Nothing like having a 400MM Prime hanging around your neck going though TSA Check. I just recently bought a new Nikon D5 along with the Nikkor 800MM F/5.6 FLED and have yet to haul that combo around anywhere yet..
D5 and a literal 'cannon' of a lens are no problem....TSA always has a nice comment about the toys. The Germans and Austrians are the worst, almost always need me to take the lens to a private room to screen since glass element is too thick for xray. The 30 lb knapsack/case is always a good time. Instead of carrying the heavy glass, my Sigma 150-600S goes everywhere with me and pixel for pixel is as sharp as any dedicated 500 through 800mm that I've used. And it fits in my laptop bag or trolley.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
If you haven't like EVFs in the past - the Fuji X-T2 EVF on high performance might change your mind. Outstanding.

Big, bright and 100fps refresh rate. You know exactly what what you're getting in terms of exposure and focus.

Love the WYSIWYG!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Well photography is one of the reasons I choose the destinations I travel to.

And most of the photography I do is on travels.

So I haven't been thinking about downsizing. In fact, I went from D7000 to D750 full frame.

I do take pictures with my iPhone too, as a supplement. Really like the panos I get as well as the time-lapse, slow-mo and videos.

In fact, I considered getting a mirrorless system like the Sony Alpha for the sweep panos but as a supplement to my DSLR, not a replacement.

I always pack additional lenses and tripods though over 90% of my pictures are from my walking around zoom, 24-120.

I'm thinking about adding a DJI Mavica drone too ...
what are your thought on the switch? i've been debating going from the 7000 series to 750, not sure if it was worth it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.