Impact Damage

Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
From their website:

Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage. These types of items should be carried on and kept in sight.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by Beven12S
I'm perplexed why you would think that bags are heavier these days. INLE, enforcement of overweight bags has been increasing yearly. Do you have data that there are a greater proportion of overweight bags over the time period you are considering?
Lighter bags can be tossed farther than heavy, overweight bags! More the reason to carry permissible carry-on items on board with you!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:13 am

Indeed, I always take my Canon gear with me, however, once I put the Canon 70-300L in the Samsonite toss-and-throw suitcase, otherwise the carry-on would be too heavy, but no damage occured, as this lens is built like a tank.

Another time I checked in my 15x70 binos and one barrel broke off, but it were cheap China binos.

Now I learnt from it and always keep camera gear and optical devices with me. Flying EK I had more than 7kg, but they did not complain as during checkin I put my binos (1kg) in my girlfriends (lighter) carry-on to prevent overweight and when on the plane I took it back.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: MP
I avoid checking camera gear like plague. However, sometimes when flying on smaller planes there simply isn't enough room to store some of the bags in overhead compartments. I've had the case where they tried to take my carryon away from me. Sometimes they succeed. Sometimes they try to help me find place after telling them how expensive it is.

There has been times where they put my pelican case away, and almost lost them... I was almost furious, until they found it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.