Search

Anyone traveling with drones?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Anyone traveling with drones?

Of course they're getting more and more popular, with tons of videos uploaded.

But they seem to present several challenges, from restrictions of their use at many destinations, to the logistics of transporting them on international flights.

ThinkTank has a $300 suitcase which is about the size of a carryon. It lets you pack one of the DJI Phantoms with a few accessories and up to a 15-inch laptop. You might have to take the propellers off to fit it into the compartment dedicated for the drone.

So obviously using up your carryon allowance for the drone and laptop/tablet leaves little capacity to travel with other gear that you wouldn't want to put in a checked bag.

And then once you get through the flight, you might need another specialized backpack, so you don't have to wheel the carryon suitcase to do the shooting.

The Phantoms aren't even that big, only about 3 pounds I believe and about 15-inch diameter. The camera has a 1/2.3 inch sensor. So basically a point and shoot camera.

To get a Micro 4/3 camera, you have to move up to the Inspire, which is like 3 times the price, much bigger and over double the weight. Not sure how you'd transport it without paying some kind of additional allowance. It likely won't fit within a suitcase which would be under the carryon limits.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone is taking them on overseas trips and how they're dealing with the logistics.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:54 am

When flying internationally, I check my quad (or quads) using a Pelican-style case. However all batteries for the quads are always in my carry-on as it is both illegal and completely idiotic to check them.

For domestic trips, I might check a quad, or carry one on board, or (more and more frequently) UPS or FedEx it to wherever I'm headed. Again batteries for them fly with me in my carry on and aren't checked or shipped.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

How big of a drone?

I'd be leery about checking in, since airlines have limited liability for checked luggage, like $1000.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
How big of a drone?
Over the last 3 years, most of the trips have been with various models of DJI Phantom 2, 3 and 4s.

I'd be leery about checking in, since airlines have limited liability for checked luggage, like $1000.
For US domestic itineraries, most airlines' liability limits for drones would be $0 as their CoCs typically exclude liability for loss or damage to electronics, photo equipment or fragile items.

Depending on the airline, the pax relationship with them and the circumstances, some compensation might be offered, but that would be at the airline's discretion and shouldn't be counted on. If they lose the thing and all else fails, you can at least put in a claim for the value of the case.

For international itineraries (and their connecting domestic segments), the liability limit would depend on if the Warsaw or Montreal convention applied. Either way the limits are fairly low, but then again ... so is the cost of the typical drone these days.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:39 pm
Suspended

I haven't travelled with any drones since I stopped joining my former company's sales reps on calls.

...Oh, I suppose you meant drones of the flying robot variety?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: various
I strip it down as much as possible, carry the drained batteries in my laptop bag and simply carry the drone in my hand. I have a camera bag which I won't check and laptop bag I won't check. It's just an extra item in my hand and so far no problems. Though flight attendants keep joking to me about not flying it onboard.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, *wood Gold
My first few trips I used a Pelican style case to carry-on my drone. The case linked below has wheels and is extremely nice for the pricing. I did run into the problem of trying to carry the drone around in the case when shooting but it was a complete pain in the butt. I found the second bag fits the drone perfectly and created some foam inserts to help project the drone.

Case Club
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Club-Wat.../dp/B01D96K6DW

.........s Hugger 30L
https://.........s.com/backpack-hugger-30l

Traveling with a DJI Phantom 4.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Second link is borked.

The Case Club is too big for a carryon?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:06 pm

Second link is borked.

The Case Club is too big for a carryon?
It's screwing with the link and I can't get it to post properly. I think it might be cropping the URL due to the name of the company. Do a search for the following: d-o-u-c-h-e-b-a-g-s.com. (drop the dashes of course) You'll see a bag called the Hugger 30L. I hate the name of this company but the bag is perfect for the Phantom 4.

The Case Club fits perfectly into the overhead on an airplane. I've taken it on two flights already (Alaska Air 737-800 and Southwest 737-700) without any issues.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_PersonFinder
It's screwing with the link and I can't get it to post properly. I think it might be cropping the URL due to the name of the company. Do a search for the following: d-o-u-c-h-e-b-a-g-s.com. (drop the dashes of course) You'll see a bag called the Hugger 30L. I hate the name of this company but the bag is perfect for the Phantom 4.

The Case Club fits perfectly into the overhead on an airplane. I've taken it on two flights already (Alaska Air 737-800 and Southwest 737-700) without any issues.
It's all in the name of the company. Seems that Flyertalk is censoring out the name. Link to an Amazon listing of the bag.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/.........-T.../dp/B00NWE5H6I
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Funny name.

According to the Amazon link, the Case Club is 52 linear inches (25 x 16.5 x 10.6 inches).

I think that's too much for a carry-on.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAD_PersonFinder
Even that one got munged! Despite that it does still seem to work - but it points to a discontinued product.

The current model appears to be this one - http://amzn.to/29ppDH4

Bet they didn't think of this as a problem when they came up with the name...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:35 pm

Not too sure how they packed it but Andy from Australia (AndymetSonia Youtube Channel) has some awe-inspiring drone videos on their Croatia visit Vlog:

The automated embed of videos unfortunately do not start on the timing indicated. Skip to the following for the Drone videos:
Video 1 - 1 Minute
Video 2 - 2 Minute. 8 Seconds
Video 3 - 2 Minute. 25 Seconds

It's worth a watch. I think a few of you may plan a trip to Croatia after seeing these drone videos. Seems like a beautiful country.

Last edited by YVR55; Jul 12, 2016 at 9:37 pm Reason: Edit Video Timing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.