Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Embarrassed of taking pictures for trip reports at lounges, hotel lobby ... etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embarrassed of taking pictures for trip reports at lounges, hotel lobby ... etc?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: *G
if using phone:

-flash off (!)
-phone on vibrate so no shutter sound (depends on model)
-most shutters can be operated by external volume button ... meaning you can grip the phone as if just carrying it (rather than composing with it), and snap photo with thumb or index finger

-if you attach headset with in-line control unit, typically shutter can be tripped from there as well. so you can hold phone up as if reading from it normally, and fire shot from the mic piece
Old May 19, 2015, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
if using phone:

-flash off (!)
-phone on vibrate so no shutter sound (depends on model)
-most shutters can be operated by external volume button ... meaning you can grip the phone as if just carrying it (rather than composing with it), and snap photo with thumb or index finger

-if you attach headset with in-line control unit, typically shutter can be tripped from there as well. so you can hold phone up as if reading from it normally, and fire shot from the mic piece
That is a really good tip about pressing the volume button. I actually didn't know that.

I will probably just bring a point and shoot and my Iphone camera. It is too much work doing anything else.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Just remember, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place.
That a legal opinion?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
That a legal opinion?
In the U.S. yes it is decided by the courts in a case against Philip Lorcia di-Corcia.
If you are outside you essentially give up your right to privacy and I can take all the photos (of an adult) that I want for non-commercial purposes (i.e. Pepsi can't go out shoot people drinking it in the park and then make a billboard).
Old May 20, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xcalibir
Hey guys,

I am going on a trip next month and would like to provide my own trip report. Does anyone get embarrassed when taking so many pics at lounges, hotel lobbies etc...?

If so, how do you guys do "stealth pictures"
I just came back from a trip I am doing a TR on, and I definitely know how you feel. Sometimes, especially in lounges I can't find a good time to shoot a few photos. The one thing that I always feel, typically and the end of the trip, and exhausted of talking pictures
Old May 20, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In the U.S. yes it is decided by the courts in a case against Philip Lorcia di-Corcia.
If you are outside you essentially give up your right to privacy and I can take all the photos (of an adult) that I want for non-commercial purposes (i.e. Pepsi can't go out shoot people drinking it in the park and then make a billboard).
There was a thread about someone who ranted about getting kicked out of a lounge for taking a photo in the restroom. Someone discovered he took a photo of the passenger sitting in the row behind him.

I don't recall folks took kindly to that.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Sant
There was a thread about someone who ranted about getting kicked out of a lounge for taking a photo in the restroom. Someone discovered he took a photo of the passenger sitting in the row behind him.

If you are on private property (in a hotel, restaurant, shopping mall, etc) then the property owner can make whatever rules they want about photography. But if you're outside on public property, as the previous poster indicated, then there is not a reasonable expectation of privacy and photography is allowed (in the US).

Just in recent weeks there was a town in Georgia I believe, or it might have been the entire state, that was working on a proposal requiring model releases for anyone in any picture you take, thus making street photography basically impossible. But that proposal was killed before it got legs.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Sant

I'm confused. They have rows of seats in the restroom?
Old May 20, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
theres nothing wrong with it, unless you're taking it too far...like rearranging a bunch of furniture.

I was at buchon bistro at the Venetian in Vegas...this girl at the next table was too much. They ordered their food and when it came, it had to be posed and pictures taken. And of course the food didn't all come at once so they sat there for a good 15 minutes waiting for everything before eating.

First she positioned the plates and the silverware. Then she broke a piece of the bread off, took a picture. Cut open 2 beignet's, took a picture. Sliced open his sandwich, took a picture. Took a picture of her food, then a picture of her latte. And finally took a picture of all of the food.

And she took pictures from all different angles, not just 1 picture per item.

"Ok, let's eat."

Had I thought of it, I wouldve just told him to eat before his food got cold. We weren't the only ones laughing at them.
Old May 21, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
+1 on the iPhone 6. I am a total gear slut and have thousands in my cameras/lenses but honestly my favorite pic taken so far this year is a pano with my iPhone 6 Plus.
That is an amazing picture! ...straight out of your phone, or did you do any post-processing?
Old May 21, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by indelible
Had I thought of it, I wouldve just told him to eat before his food got cold. We weren't the only ones laughing at them.
Pictures of people taking pictures of food
Old May 21, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mikity
That is an amazing picture! ...straight out of your phone, or did you do any post-processing?
Thanks! About 30 seconds with the Snapseed app was all the post necessary.

It was pretty windy and a bit chilly that day. The hardest part was waiting for the sun to go down enough so that it didn't blow everything else out.

iPhone 6 Plus pano function is terrific, IMO.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by MCOGUY
What an awesome photo! I've just been using my iPad, but now I have a reason to upgrade my iPhone!
Happy to be an enabler. More gear is always fun. The wifey wants to upgrade her phone now after seeing some of what the 6+ can do.

She just doesn't like the size.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I don't have a problem taking pictures (which should be evident from my TRs ).

However, I do make sure the flash is off. And, I've gotten decent at "shooting from the hip" (i.e., holding a P&S at stomach/chest level - often with a rollaboard in the other hand - and taking a picture without looking at the viewfinder at all) - for many of these, it probably isn't too noticeable that I'm event snapping a shot.

My only real brakes on taking more pictures is my wife. She does get fed-up sometimes with not "being in the moment" (mostly when asking her to wait outside while I take pictures of an empty hotel room before we enter...which is pretty understandable from a non-FT-geek perspective.).
Old May 22, 2015, 1:32 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
It's almost as if this thread was written for me. Yes, I really enjoy creating detailed trip reports but I hate taking pictures in lounges and in airplanes. I'm not as self-conscious about it as I used to be but it's still an uncomfortable feeling to take a picture of my in-flight meal or the seat I'm sitting in. But the desire for a good trip report trumps all so I power though it.

I try to act as cool and casual about it as possible. I don't take a ton of pics of the same thing - mostly I'll just take one or two quick camera phone pics and move on so I don't draw attention to myself.

I have a lot of respect for the folks who have no shame taking pictures of everything!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.