Camera alternative to using iPhone 6 on trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camera alternative to using iPhone 6 on trips

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I'm a huge Fuji X camera fan but have got to admit that the iPhone 6 Plus has a very nice camera. The optical image stabilization seems to really work.

Was on a quickie trip to Twin Falls and had the iPhone with me for this pano shot.

Shoshone Falls by liggy_1, on Flickr
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
Amazing shot! I have the iPhone 6 (not the 6 Plus) but even my 6 takes great pictures. Still thinking about what camera I will be getting - a few posts back I posted that a local RadioShack was selling some P$S camera's on sale due to the store closing, however am not sure if those cameras are worth getting: Canon ELPH 135, Nikon S6800, and Canon SX600.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You can read reviews on http://www.dpreview.com/
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:36 pm

Hey OP - thanks for the kind words. If you're think it's something you'll be getting a bit more serious about - I love the Fuji X100s for a travel camera. Rather short battery life (hence the iPhone pic ) but it is something you can grow into.

It helped my better understand the basics of photography such as shutter speed, ISO, aperture / depth of field etc...

If not - honestly hard to go wrong with just about any camera these days. No familiarity with any of the closeouts you mentioned except for the Elph which my wife uses and enjoys.

Easily pocketable and easy to use.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by HMO
If his average usage is less than 200 pictures/day, I don't think an extra battery will be necessary ^
Actually I'd still recommend getting one. While I've yet to drain my DSLR's battery in a day I have managed to kill my P&S's on more than one occasion especially when using the movie mode a lot. I picked up a third party battery for my Sony for ~10 bucks or so and it works just as well as the Sony branded OEM it came with. Of course YMMV when it comes to third party batteries.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Hey OP - thanks for the kind words. If you're think it's something you'll be getting a bit more serious about - I love the Fuji X100s for a travel camera. Rather short battery life (hence the iPhone pic ) but it is something you can grow into.

It helped my better understand the basics of photography such as shutter speed, ISO, aperture / depth of field etc...

If not - honestly hard to go wrong with just about any camera these days. No familiarity with any of the closeouts you mentioned except for the Elph which my wife uses and enjoys.

Easily pocketable and easy to use.
Thanks so much! Great info, really appreciate it!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Leaning heavily toward a gently used (no scratches) RX-100 ii with extra battery, leather case & 32GB memory card I found on craiglist for under $425. Is this a good deal? From comments/research, it looks to be a fair price.

What editing software does everyone use? Again, not professional, but let's say I just want to crop something. And what is the easiest way to at least get the images to your iphone, is there a special app rather than just emailing myself the jpeg and saving it to my phone? Even if the quality is lower I want the pictures on my phone bc its just easier to show people pictures when they ask.

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1
Leaning heavily toward a gently used (no scratches) RX-100 ii with extra battery, leather case & 32GB memory card I found on craiglist for under $425. Is this a good deal? From comments/research, it looks to be a fair price.

What editing software does everyone use? Again, not professional, but let's say I just want to crop something. And what is the easiest way to at least get the images to your iphone, is there a special app rather than just emailing myself the jpeg and saving it to my phone? Even if the quality is lower I want the pictures on my phone bc its just easier to show people pictures when they ask.

Thanks everyone!
Sorry - no suggestions on how to get Sony images to your iPhone.

My Fujis transfer jpegs to my iPad or iPhone via Wifi.

Once there - I use Snapseed for quick editing. Crops, sharpening, exposure, warmth - a nice array of options. Free app and works really well for my purposes.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ssafro1

Thanks everyone!
Sony has its own PlayMemories app that wirelessly transfer your images to iPhone
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Was on a quickie trip to Twin Falls and had the iPhone with me for this pano shot.
What a fantastic shot! I'm another RX100 fan, but I'll probably trade in my cheap Android for an iPhone at some point just for the superior photo capabilities.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I haven't replied in awhile. Thanks again for all the feedback. I put off a purchase for a bit, however recently saw that the RX100 price is $399, and I have a lot of upcoming trips, so I think I'll be heading into Best Buy to pick one up tomorrow! Think it was most recently $499 if I remember correctly (before I found it for $399).
Old May 9, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingSky
Sorry I haven't replied in awhile. Thanks again for all the feedback. I put off a purchase for a bit, however recently saw that the RX100 price is $399, and I have a lot of upcoming trips, so I think I'll be heading into Best Buy to pick one up tomorrow! Think it was most recently $499 if I remember correctly (before I found it for $399).
can't go wrong with the RX100...

I got mine recently from Best Buy (Open box, $250 with spare battery and 16GB card, no brainer). You can find it new @ $399 from B&H/Adorama with some accessories included too (memory card/case/battery)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

http://www.adorama.com/isodscrx100.html

still learning how to use the camera... this one is slightly out of focus if you pixel peep, but i think it show cases the low-light capability and contrast. 1/30, 1250 ISO, full auto, f/1.8 @ 28mm. HDR wasn't enabled

DSC00857

Last edited by paperwastage; May 10, 2015 at 10:10 am
Old May 10, 2015, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by JR14
What a fantastic shot! I'm another RX100 fan, but I'll probably trade in my cheap Android for an iPhone at some point just for the superior photo capabilities.
Thanks for the kind words. The Plus has the really nice optical image stabilization. ^
Old May 12, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Just picked up the RX100 at Best Buy the other day, got it for $399 and got some bundled accessories as well for a discounted price. On my way to Ireland today and China/South Korea next week, so I'll put it to good use. I'll post some pics I take with it on here! Thanks again for all of your assistance!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:56 pm

just fyi, the rx100 m4 got announced today

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-u...5kd/index.html
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/10/s...rk-4-hands-on/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4_digital.html

$969... almost exactly the same as the m3 (1" sensor, f/1.8-2.8, EVF, 24-70)

it has a lot of video-related improvements:

adding on 4k (5 min limit), up to 1000fps super slow-mo (2-4s limit), pro-video profile (s-log2), some minor stuff (better sensor, higher resolution EVF, 16fps vs 10fps, 1/32000 vs 1/2000)

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 10, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.